• Sep 13th, 2018 1:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 23, 2015
18 posts
6 upvotes
Lethbridge, AB

Prepaid 2nd SIM to retain old number?

I'm moving to a new city within the same province (Alberta) and want to change my postpaid number to a local one in the new city, so that locals there aren't having to dial me long distance when they call. However, it occurred to me that maybe I could retain my existing number for a time by transferring it to a prepaid SIM. I don't want to simply port the number to a prepaid as this process cancels my existing postpaid plan which is a promotional plan I want to keep.

My provider (Telus) tells me it can be done as follows:
(1) buy a Telus prepaid SIM ($20) and activate it.
(2) pay another $35 to transfer (not port) my existing number to the prepaid SIM. The $35 was explained to me as a sort of vanity fee for acquiring a specific number.
(3) add a new local number to the postpaid account at no charge.

So the desired outcome is to continue my current postpaid account/plan but with a new number local to another city, and also have a prepaid account with my former number attached to keep that number active for a time, to make the move smoother (what else is a dual SIM tray good for??). Can anyone think of a way to achieve this same outcome without paying the $35 fee or losing my postpaid plan? Or is the $35 just the unavoidable price of doing it this way? Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2406 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
you are lucky Telus is doing it for you. I'm going to say the $35 is unavoidable. I know fido and rogers has a policy that the plan goes with the phone number. No exceptions.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4485 posts
586 upvotes
Montreal
Why not port the old number to Fongo and call forward calls to that number to your new cell number. That will only cost you for the porting and it'll be free after that.
Phils
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18001 posts
2666 upvotes
GTA West
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 10:52 am
you are lucky Telus is doing it for you. I'm going to say the $35 is unavoidable. I know fido and rogers has a policy that the plan goes with the phone number. No exceptions.
Agreed. I would do it.
But then once it's working, I'd transfer the old number to a VoIP service, which is cheaper and eminent more flexible.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
[OP]
May 23, 2015
18 posts
6 upvotes
Lethbridge, AB
Phils wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 11:56 am
Why not port the old number to Fongo and call forward calls to that number to your new cell number. That will only cost you for the porting and it'll be free after that.
You mean port the old number to Fongo after it is set up on the prepaid SIM, correct?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2406 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
HectorGM wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 12:03 pm
You mean port the old number to Fongo after it is set up on the prepaid SIM, correct?
Yes, once its on prepaid, port it elsewhere that's cheaper.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4485 posts
586 upvotes
Montreal
I mean to port your old number to Fongo right away and forward it to your new cell number. Freephoneline should also work, I believe.
Phils
[OP]
May 23, 2015
18 posts
6 upvotes
Lethbridge, AB
Phils wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 1:26 pm
I mean to port your old number to Fongo right away and forward it to your new cell number. Freephoneline should also work, I believe.
The porting process cancels my postpaid plan which I do not want to do.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)