Credit Cards

Prepaid Credit Cards (Continuously Updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2018 4:46 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1277 posts
303 upvotes
Canada

Prepaid Credit Cards (Continuously Updated)

This thread is updated regularly
Last Update: September 2, 2018

I noticed there have been people hunting prepaid credit/gift cards so I put into a list as below that are offered to Canadians. This thread is about prepaid Visa/Mastercard/AMEX/Union Pay brand card and not about secured credit card. While they are similar in nature, secured cards do affect credit score ratings whereas prepaid ones don't.

Note: Be aware most cards (whether reloadable or not) CANNOT be used for recurring charges (a.k.a. pre-authorized debit). This may result in your card being declined for certain online transactions even when funds are available on the card. If you intend on purchasing a card for online transaction, make sure to read the cardholder agreement and ascertain how the charges will be processed or you may be disappointed.

Read the FAQ here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/prepaid ... #p28496685

The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada published a useful guide where you will find more info about the card products.
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... cards.html

The only prepaid cards that are embossed (ie. with numbers raised on the card) are the BMO Travel Mosaik MasterCard & Desjardins Visa Card (QC/ON only). All other cards are 'flat', only for electronic authorization only.

You can now find Prepaid Cards at:

Non-Reloadable ones No ID required except VanCity [YMMV].

• American Express
  • Shoppers Drug Mart, 7-11, Couche-Tard, Quickie Convenience & Circle K (AMEX Gift Card $25, 50, 100 or 200-500) (Loading Fee $3.95-8.95. Funds do not expire) Note: Card can only be used in Canada and US.
    http://www.americanexpress.com/canada/e ... ndex.shtml

Reloadable Ones ID Required by law.

US Dollars/Euro/British Pound/Chinese Yuan card
Corporate Incentives - only available as bulk order
Last edited by cahk on Sep 3rd, 2018 2:17 am, edited 50 times in total.
2284 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1260 posts
87 upvotes
I could have sworn I saw a Muchmusic card commercial just the other day....

Thanks for the info!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1277 posts
303 upvotes
Canada
mada726 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2007 3:39 pm
It's anyone's guess if Myplash will shutdown.
Horizon Plus rolled out several prepaid card product that was eventually shut down in about a year of time. They include Viva, CoffeeTime, MyCard, etc.

MuchMusic stopped selling and (my guess) will eventually shut down as it has become 'standard procedure' for Horizon Plus to do that.
Jul 20, 2007
801 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Personally, I'd just hand to them an envelop with cash in it... ;)
Online discount brokerage(s) status:

=> QUESTRADE: Active (satisfied customer).
=> E*Trade Canada: Active (impressed so far).

QuesTrader (a.k.a. Uncanny Wizard, President and CEO of http://stockmagic.wordpress.com )
Dec 30, 2007
8 posts
Caledonia
I found out the hard way that Vanilla Mastercard gift cards can't be used online in Canada.. Does anyone know if progress is being made towards this?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1727 posts
38 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
InflictedFear wrote:
Dec 31st, 2007 12:12 pm
I found out the hard way that Vanilla Mastercard gift cards can't be used online in Canada.. Does anyone know if progress is being made towards this?
Are you talking about online retailers in Canada or trying to do an online purchase at an American store while residing in Canada? If you don't understand on what I said, that's okay. I heard little about the Vanilla MasterCard, but not really get into it...lol
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
2905 posts
1 upvote
oh wow thanks. been wanting this
Dec 30, 2007
8 posts
Caledonia
mada726 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2007 4:49 pm
Are you talking about online retailers in Canada or trying to do an online purchase at an American store while residing in Canada? If you don't understand on what I said, that's okay. I heard little about the Vanilla MasterCard, but not really get into it...lol
I'm talking about purchasing at an American store while residing in Canada.. I wanted to buy some clothes from some band sites, but the payment fails.. Are the Vanilla cards only to be used on Canadian online sites? If so, I just wasted $100 :P
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
2905 posts
1 upvote
InflictedFear wrote:
Dec 31st, 2007 7:31 pm
I'm talking about purchasing at an American store while residing in Canada.. I wanted to buy some clothes from some band sites, but the payment fails.. Are the Vanilla cards only to be used on Canadian online sites? If so, I just wasted $100 :P
you cant. the card u have is under canadian currency, u need american currency to buy american online stuff
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
2905 posts
1 upvote
sorry for double post, i was going to edit, but i got a lag from doing that

can i ask if prepaid credit cards have an expiry date? if so, how long can the card be kept?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1277 posts
303 upvotes
Canada
InflictedFear wrote:
Dec 31st, 2007 7:31 pm
Some american stores will only accept a US-based card but most will accept Canadian one as well. For one thing, does the store ship to Canada? If so, they should accept Canadian cards.

Why don't you get a card from Vancity (if you are in BC) or get one from Citizens Bank? Their cards can be registered (name, full address & phone number) and thus better chance of getting accepted.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1277 posts
303 upvotes
Canada
aimfox wrote:
Dec 31st, 2007 8:58 pm
sorry for double post, i was going to edit, but i got a lag from doing that

can i ask if prepaid credit cards have an expiry date? if so, how long can the card be kept?
All prepaid card product have expiry date like a regular credit card. They usually have about 1.5~2 years depending which product you choose to purchase. However, card companies will charge monthly fee at certain point (ie. 6 months or 12 months after activation) so you are better off using the card quickly, unless you are using the reloadable ones.
Dec 30, 2007
8 posts
Caledonia
cahk wrote:
Dec 31st, 2007 9:25 pm
Some american stores will only accept a US-based card but most will accept Canadian one as well. For one thing, does the store ship to Canada? If so, they should accept Canadian cards.

Why don't you get a card from Vancity (if you are in BC) or get one from Citizens Bank? Their cards can be registered (name, full address & phone number) and thus better chance of getting accepted.
Yes, the store had the option to ship to Canada, but no luck with the prepaid card. Oh well, looks like I'm sticking to Canadian online sites.

Thanks for the help.
Jan 8, 2007
756 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I like the american system where you can get a debit card that acts as both a debit and credit card.

For example, at Bank of America you can get a debit card that has a credit card number on it. How it works is you can use it online as a credit card and the value of the purchase is just debitted from your bank account.

IMO It's nice to have.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)