Credit Cards

Prepaid Credit Cards (Continuously Updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2024 2:06 am
Tags:
None
Sep 7, 2014
732 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto
banker8 wrote: Thanks Mate.

Another question ... do Shell (or other gas stations) do PP reloads?
Not that I heard of
EQ Bank: no account fee, no ATM fee, no FX fee
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data (1 spot available)
Public Mobile: talk & text legacy plan
Epidemic Sound: Royalty free music
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
onewaylove wrote: Not that I heard of
So, how is a PP reload done through "swiping", as someone claims is possible with the white card for a lower $4.95 fee? As opposed to the regular reload method (with its accompanying higher fee) of the cashier scanning the barcode on the back of the card.

Apparently the swiped reload occurred when reloading at a gas station. So the story went.

Maybe it was all BS.
May 16, 2008
364 posts
176 upvotes
banker8 wrote: So, how is a PP reload done through "swiping", as someone claims is possible with the white card for a lower $4.95 fee? As opposed to the regular reload method (with its accompanying higher fee) of the cashier scanning the barcode on the back of the card.

Apparently the swiped reload occurred when reloading at a gas station. So the story went.

Maybe it was all BS.
I was indeed lying. Don't try this at home.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6150 upvotes
onewaylove wrote: no bill pay option.
I am surprised that PP offers BP option. PP doesn’t make any money from BP, unlike when people spend and PP collects fees charged to merchants. There is no merchant fee to be charged and collected in a BP transaction. May be PP just offers BP as an incentive for people to use PP card and make money from spending. If people just use their PP cards to do BP only and no spendings, then I don’t see how they can make money. At least CT MC offers free BP option and give you CT money, you have to spend the CT money in their stores. PP has nothing gain by offering BP option. I don’t think the reload fee charged would be enough. They need to make money from merchant fee charged.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4430 upvotes
BC
ml88888888 wrote: I am surprised that PP offers BP option. PP doesn’t make any money from BP, unlike when people spend and PP collects fees charged to merchants. There is no merchant fee to be charged and collected in a BP transaction. May be PP just offers BP as an incentive for people to use PP card and make money from spending. If people just use their PP cards to do BP only and no spendings, then I don’t see how they can make money. At least CT MC offers free BP option and give you CT money, you have to spend the CT money in their stores. PP has nothing gain by offering BP option. I don’t think the reload fee charged would be enough. They need to make money from merchant fee charged.
PP charges a $1.95 fee per bill payment.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
ml88888888 wrote: I am surprised that PP offers BP option. PP doesn’t make any money from BP, unlike when people spend and PP collects fees charged to merchants. There is no merchant fee to be charged and collected in a BP transaction. May be PP just offers BP as an incentive for people to use PP card and make money from spending. If people just use their PP cards to do BP only and no spendings, then I don’t see how they can make money. At least CT MC offers free BP option and give you CT money, you have to spend the CT money in their stores. PP has nothing gain by offering BP option.
each bp costs ~$2 ... that's pure profit no? bp is limited to $1k max each

reload fee + bp fee + monthly fee + withdraw fee ==>profit
Last edited by LOL808 on Dec 6th, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6150 upvotes
LOL808 wrote: each bp costs $2 ... that's pure profit no?
I though it was free. It is worth to do big BP amt then. For small BP, use Paysimply which charges 2.5%.
Last edited by ml88888888 on Dec 6th, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
ml88888888 wrote: I though it was free. It is worth to do big BP amt then.
max bp is $1k
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4430 upvotes
BC
ml88888888 wrote: I though it was free. It is worth to do big BP amt then. For small BP, use Paysimply which charges 2.5%.
Different use cases. PP BP has payees that allow you to simply cycle the money, nobody uses their BP feature to pay actual bills. It's pure MS.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
themob34 wrote: I was indeed lying. Don't try this at home.
If you can be serious for a moment,

Can you please advise of the merchant at which you do these purported swiped PP reloads?
Dec 6, 2020
2 posts
Anyone in Greater Vancouver know a good place to load up Paypower? I keep getting denied at the Canadian Tire I go to.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4430 upvotes
BC
chirop wrote: Anyone in Greater Vancouver know a good place to load up Paypower? I keep getting denied at the Canadian Tire I go to.
Save on foods
Aug 9, 2010
49 posts
9 upvotes
Is it frowned upon to BP the same CC used for reloading? (Likely lead to a shutdown)

For example CIBC Visa --> Reload PP --> BP CIBC Visa

Thanks in advance.
Dec 6, 2020
2 posts
rhw123 wrote: Save on foods
May I ask which one? I don't see Save on Foods listed in the paypower retailers list. I also didn't find a paypower card at the Save-on-Foods in coquitlam. Thanks in advance!
May 16, 2008
364 posts
176 upvotes
brianngo wrote: Is it frowned upon to BP the same CC used for reloading? (Likely lead to a shutdown)

For example CIBC Visa --> Reload PP --> BP CIBC Visa

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you should only BP legitimate bills. Property taxes and BP to investment accounts are good options.
Jun 29, 2010
200 posts
148 upvotes
Vancouver
I load in safeway, save on food, or price smart food in Greater Vancouver region
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2011
1039 posts
1189 upvotes
chirop wrote: May I ask which one? I don't see Save on Foods listed in the paypower retailers list. I also didn't find a paypower card at the Save-on-Foods in coquitlam. Thanks in advance!
For some reason the PP website doesn't list Save On, but I have gone to 3 different ones in 3 different cities in the GVR - they all work.

I have never tried to reload at CT. I use my Cobalt to reload so I would never reload there.
Sep 7, 2014
732 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto
Foodbasics started charging tax
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data (1 spot available)
May 16, 2008
364 posts
176 upvotes
Question about PP BP limits. Their site says there is a 7 day(Sun-Sat) limit of 2500 and 30 days of 5000. Are those rolling windows or calendar months?
Sep 7, 2014
732 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto
themob34 wrote: Question about PP BP limits. Their site says there is a 7 day(Sun-Sat) limit of 2500 and 30 days of 5000. Are those rolling windows or calendar months?
Used to be Calendar days/week. (Not 100% sure about the month)

but it's now 7 rolling days for sure

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)