Credit Cards

Prepaid Credit Cards (Continuously Updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2018 1:03 am
Tags:
None
Dec 26, 2017
10 posts
2 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 11:42 am
What do you mean by starter card? Is it Pay Power prepaid MC? Does it work on Fido/Rogers online bill payment?
Paypower prepaid MC "starter" card is the one you can purchase from a merchant(safeway/save on food). you bring it to the cashier and put value in it.
you can make purchase using the card but the starter card is not reloadable and ATMable.

you have to register the starter card online and upgrade it to a reloadable card(need to pay fees), they will mail you a card with ur name on it.

someone in the last couple posts said the prepaid card doesn't work for fido online bills, but you can pay your bill using the prepaid card in a fido store
Oct 24, 2011
430 posts
165 upvotes
Kitchener
I went to 7-11 Kitchener location today for vanilla MasterCard $500 limit one. But they wouldn’t let me pay with Amex as it is a prepaid MasterCard they would only accept debit... is this valid point?
They take Amex for everything else.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1189 posts
381 upvotes
ggman8988 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 12:23 am
I went to 7-11 Kitchener location today for vanilla MasterCard $500 limit one. But they wouldn’t let me pay with Amex as it is a prepaid MasterCard they would only accept debit... is this valid point?
That is just your store policy. My 7-11 store accepts all cc for buying all prepaid cards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1293 posts
386 upvotes
Canada
ggman8988 wrote:
Merchants have the right to decline payment methods (some RFDers will disagree). If store A won't take it, try store B.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
3574 posts
1961 upvotes
ggman8988 wrote:
Tell them 7-11s DO accept credit cards for prepaid MC purchases and you have done a few similar purchases before. If the cashier is confused, ask them to call the store manager. If the store manager says No, you are out of luck and should start searching for the next 7-11 that sells $500 prepaid MCs (not easy indeed).

Lucky me, the one I frequently go to takes cc's for all gift/prepaid cards. No questions asked, very friendly too... A few days ago I bought 4 $500 prepaid MCs ($2000 in total plus fees), and the experience was as good as before. The cashier knows me now because I am a regular customer to grab most of the $500 prepaid MCs lol, and it helps filtering me out of the bad guys.
😎 "How do you like to pay?" "American Express!" 😄
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1189 posts
381 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 2:18 am
Tell them 7-11s DO accept credit cards for prepaid MC purchases and you have done a few similar purchases before. If the cashier is confused, ask them to call the store manager. If the store manager says No, you are out of luck and should start searching for the next 7-11 that sells $500 prepaid MCs (not easy indeed).

Lucky me, the one I frequently go to takes cc's for all gift/prepaid cards. No questions asked, very friendly too... A few days ago I bought 4 $500 prepaid MCs ($2000 in total plus fees), and the experience was as good as before. The cashier knows me now because I am a regular customer to grab most of the $500 prepaid MCs lol, and it helps filtering me out of the bad guys.
If you buy large amt of OneVanilla prepaid cards every month, you might want to consider the Myvanilla reloadable prepaid M/C. That is what I buy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5028 posts
4000 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
ml88888888 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 7:34 pm
If you buy large amt of OneVanilla prepaid cards every month, you might want to consider the Myvanilla reloadable prepaid M/C. That is what I buy.
Except the whole point of buying lots of prepaid MC is to get the bonus points that Scotia Amex Gold (4x) and Amex Cobalt (5x) offer on the grocery category, which is what 7-11 is categorized under.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
3574 posts
1961 upvotes
Did anyone try using the Vanilla Prepaid MCs outside Canada? Is it safe doing that? I am thinking this might be potentially replacing Rogers MC.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1189 posts
381 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:13 pm
Except the whole point of buying lots of prepaid MC is to get the bonus points that Scotia Amex Gold (4x) and Amex Cobalt (5x) offer on the grocery category, which is what 7-11 is categorized under.
if you read the whole statement, you will know that the Myvanilla reloadable M/C is also a prepaid card and sold at 7-11.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
3574 posts
1961 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 12:41 am
if you read the whole statement, you will know that the Myvanilla reloadable M/C is also a prepaid card and sold at 7-11.
How much is the fee?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5028 posts
4000 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
ml88888888 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 12:41 am
And if you read what I wrote, you would understand what I am saying is this;
Buy non reloadable MC from 7-11, many times over and collect 4x or 5x rewards on each purchase of them.
Buy reloadable MC like you suggest, you get rewards on the one purchase only of the reloadable card, because you would just reload that card then, rather than buy more.
Understand now?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1293 posts
386 upvotes
Canada
EdisonL299 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 11:34 pm
Did anyone try using the Vanilla Prepaid MCs outside Canada? Is it safe doing that? I am thinking this might be potentially replacing Rogers MC.
Yes, you can use it overseas. However, the foreign exchange fees may make it less attractive.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
3574 posts
1961 upvotes
cahk wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 1:10 am
Yes, you can use it overseas. However, the foreign exchange fees may make it less attractive.
That's okay if you have Amex Cobalt. 5X MR = 2.5X SPG = 7.5% ~ 10% return. Minus 2.5% FX Fee, you will get 5% ~ 7.5% back. If you don't transfer to SPG, you will get 5% minimum, minus 2.5% FX Fee, that's 2.5% return.
Both scenarios are better than Rogers MC (4% - 2.5% fee = 1.5% return).
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1189 posts
381 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 12:56 am
And if you read what I wrote, you would understand what I am saying is this;
Buy non reloadable MC from 7-11, many times over and collect 4x or 5x rewards on each purchase of them.
Buy reloadable MC like you suggest, you get rewards on the one purchase only of the reloadable card, because you would just reload that card then, rather than buy more.
Understand now?
Do you know how to reload the prepaid card? I don't think you do because you have never done it before. You must be thinking that you can not use cc to reload.
You go back to any 7-11 store and buy a reload PIN using any cc and continue to earn points on your cc.