Credit Cards

Prepaid Credit Cards (Continuously Updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 7:21 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 13, 2016
87 posts
30 upvotes
thetipster wrote: I haven't really done the math, but I figured it has to be worth it for me.
About $3000 per month will be spread among 2 cards (wife and me).
So 6 reloads + 2 monthly fees = 4.95*8=39.6
Amex spend = 6*504.95 = 3029.7
Points = 3029.7*5=15149
Cashback=$151.49-39.6=111.89
Cashback%=111.89/3039.6= 3.68%

I think I'm splitting hairs, it's worth it.

How are you getting cashback here?
Jul 20, 2012
818 posts
236 upvotes
Air Force One
apologies if this has been asked as I can't seem to do a proper search
but can someone confirm if one can purchase PayPower mastercards using gift cards? e.g. using a $500 safeway gift card to buy a $500 paypower card (activation fee to be paid separately)?

thanks
<No referral posts in signature>
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
coljung18 wrote: How are you getting cashback here?
If you mean where did I get the numbers for this?
Cashback=$151.49-39.6=111.89
Then the $151.49 equals 1% of the MR points I accumulated and the $39.6 is listed above. It's the total cost of using the 2 cards that month.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3068 posts
7272 upvotes
Discombobulator wrote: apologies if this has been asked as I can't seem to do a proper search
but can someone confirm if one can purchase PayPower mastercards using gift cards? e.g. using a $500 safeway gift card to buy a $500 paypower card (activation fee to be paid separately)?

thanks
Can't buy gift cards with gift cards ... almost no retailers will let you do that.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
thetipster wrote: If you mean where did I get the numbers for this?

Then the $151.49 equals 1% of the MR points I accumulated and the $39.6 is listed above. It's the total cost of using the 2 cards that month.
I think he was asking why you called MR points cash back when you have to spend the points. It may be worth 1% value. But it is not direct cash back. So the points should be called reward points, not cash back.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
Discombobulator wrote: apologies if this has been asked as I can't seem to do a proper search

thanks
Doubt it but doesn’t hurt to try.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Aug 27, 2014
639 posts
397 upvotes
I've been reading multiple pages but the information is quite scattered. I'm near Ottawa and looking for prepaid Mastercards because I'm churning the Amex cards and have done essentially all the good Mastercard and Visa deals.

If I get this right: PayPower mastercards can be gotten at Food Basics and purchased with Amex. Fees are? $7 per $500? Can they be used anywhere, e.g. Costco, online?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3352 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
LuxErus wrote: I've been reading multiple pages but the information is quite scattered. I'm near Ottawa and looking for prepaid Mastercards because I'm churning the Amex cards and have done essentially all the good Mastercard and Visa deals.

If I get this right: PayPower mastercards can be gotten at Food Basics and purchased with Amex. Fees are? $7 per $500? Can they be used anywhere, e.g. Costco, online?
$6.95 fee per $500. Yes, the PP can be used basically anywhere. Be it online or in-store.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
LuxErus wrote: I've been reading multiple pages but the information is quite scattered. I'm near Ottawa and looking for prepaid Mastercards because I'm churning the Amex cards and have done essentially all the good Mastercard and Visa deals.

Since your using AMEX, you can only get it from Metro, Basics or Sobeys, however, Metro seems to be the only place that works for reloading. And I havdnt seen any cards at Basics/Sobeys for awhile.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
Can anyone report if they have been successful using Paypower at No Frills as a payment method when buying groceries?
May 27, 2018
57 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver
thetipster wrote: Can anyone report if they have been successful using Paypower at No Frills as a payment method when buying groceries?
Yes. Not sure why it wouldn't work. They accept Mastercard.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2018
1023 posts
940 upvotes
Went to Food basic, not able to find one
jr! wrote: I've bought them at the Food Basics at Glen Erin & Collegeway & the Metro at 10th Line & Derry.
The Sobeys at 10th Line & Thomas has NONE (& is a useless store)
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
eye84u wrote: Yes. Not sure why it wouldn't work. They accept Mastercard.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Wife says she tried 2 different times, no luck. I will have to verify.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1130 posts
513 upvotes
arvind84 wrote: To upgrade to Select membership, you need to make the card reloadable through the website after activation (screenshot attached).

You will need to verify your ID online and should be upgraded to Select once completed. Note that you will incur monthly fees of $4.95 once you make the card reloadable.
I wish Paypower would just offer prepaid cards valued at 1k or 2k even with higher activation fees and just check our ID's upon purchase to prevent fraud. I mean there's a definitely a demand as shown here.

I found this old post about being a select member. This sounds good as I have to charge 3k soon. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to verify your ID online to become a select member?

Also it says under Paypower FAQ:
After you successfully register your Card and we have verified your identity, you may value reload at 'any time'. So does this mean even when you still got $500 from initial activation, you can right away top it up with another 2500 to make it 3000? That would be ideal as I don't want to have to deplete $500 then top up $2500 as that's more work.
Nov 19, 2017
179 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
micronta wrote: I wish Paypower would just offer prepaid cards valued at 1k or 2k even with higher activation fees and just check our ID's upon purchase to prevent fraud. I mean there's a definitely a demand as shown here.

I found this old post about being a select member. This sounds good as I have to charge 3k soon. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to verify your ID online to become a select member?

Also it says under Paypower FAQ:
After you successfully register your Card and we have verified your identity, you may value reload at 'any time'. So does this mean even when you still got $500 from initial activation, you can right away top it up with another 2500 to make it 3000? That would be ideal as I don't want to have to deplete $500 then top up $2500 as that's more work.
Verification is basically instant.

Once you upgrade to Select, you can reload $2500 per day ($500 x 5), and incur the reload fee x5. I recommend spacing out the reloads as sometimes back to back reloads (whether in a single transaction or separate transactions) result in errors. If you space them out by time (10 mins) or location, that seems to work.

Some RFDers have managed to reload several $500 reloads in a single transaction but I’ve had no such luck.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3352 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
thetipster wrote: Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Wife says she tried 2 different times, no luck. I will have to verify.
What does the terminal say? Does it it ask for card number or something? I experienced the same on one TTC station where it kept on asking for card number.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
2265 posts
1511 upvotes
Did Metro pull all the PayPowers from their shelves?

I have been to few, even the ones that previously had them.

Few managers mentioned there were some issues PayPowers.

This card is getting less and less appealing to me after chasing PP cards for the bonus on my Simplycash.

Most stores don’t have them. The ones that did have them seem to pull them off the shelves and the ones that do have them only accept cash or debit.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2018
1023 posts
940 upvotes
I am in Mississauga and experiencing the same thing
EDL67134234 wrote: Did Metro pull all the PayPowers from their shelves?

I have been to few, even the ones that previously had them.

Few managers mentioned there were some issues PayPowers.

This card is getting less and less appealing to me after chasing PP cards for the bonus on my Simplycash.

Most stores don’t have them. The ones that did have them seem to pull them off the shelves and the ones that do have them only accept cash or debit.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

MISTERX558