Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2863 posts
936 upvotes

Prepaid data sim card in Japan.

Which card do you guys recommend? I need data for 3-7 days while in Japan but have no idea where to get one.
6 replies
Sep 28, 2007
9 posts
3 upvotes
I was in Tokyo back in September for 9 days and we got the pay as you go mobile wifi router (5gb plan) from Sakura Mobile https://www.sakuramobile.jp . They also have data sim cards available also. We decided on a wifi hotspot instead of a sim card considering the compatibility issues based on the phones, and we didn't want to take a chance of it not working. Data speeds were really good, used it a lot for navigating and web surfing. Best of all they didnt have to stupid daily usage cap on their devices. Paid 75 cdn total I think, it was a bit pricey but well worth it for the 9 days. You can have them ship it out to the airport post office, pick it up there and then drop of it when you leave.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4784 posts
118 upvotes
Are you going to Japan directly? Cause you can get some really cheap data sim cards in HK (ap liu street) that works in Japan. Something around $20-30 for 7 days.
Jan 10, 2009
485 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
I was in a BIC Camera in Tokyo a couple of days ago and they had 1gb 30 day SIM cards for 2460 yen (approximately $28). 3,780 yen for a 2gb 30 day one.
Jan 30, 2013
366 posts
25 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
what is the latest find re wifi egg/ or sim card deals in Japan?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40913 posts
9840 upvotes
^ Same here. Which one is the best for data only?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7504 posts
1282 upvotes
This is what I used and I'll use it again when I go back
https://www.econnectjapan.com/

Only problem is it gets sent to your first hotel, so you have to somehow figure out how to get there without google maps :P Although apparently you can send it to the airport too, but I think I didn't do that because my flight was late

No shipping fee to locations in japan and no need to return. There is no extra charges either per day or what not, just the price listed and that's it.