None
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4967 posts
13387 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …

Prepaid laws are about to change in USA I.D required

Prepaid laws are about to change in USA I.D required

Congresswoman Jackie Speier, a Democrat representing California’s 14th district, has introduced a the “Closing the Pre-Paid Mobile Device Security Gap Act of 2016,” or HR 4886, which will require people who purchase a prepaid device to provide proper identification

If this act passes, you would need to provide the same identification as you would when signing up for a traditional phone contract with a carrier: your name, address, and date of birth, and that would be verified after you provide a credit or debit card, and your Social Security or driver’s license number.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-targe ... 2016-3?amp
10 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Sounds more like a republican thing lol not democrat. Build a wall!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
Better stock up on those moto e's. Should have bought more on BF. Just gave out my last one :(
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
hmmm, if the bill is really to deter terrorists, cant they instead just get a cheap china phone from gearbeat and some pay as you go sim card and go undetected? or get a foreign roaming sim
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
chroma_cg wrote: hmmm, if the bill is really to deter terrorists, cant they instead just get a cheap china phone from gearbeat and some pay as you go sim card and go undetected? or get a foreign roaming sim
I think the law will apply to sim cards, it's not the phone sale itself that will be controlled, it will be the SIM activation.

Nothing will stop foreign roaming sims, but they certainly will be easier to track when they are activated within the USA.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
The introduction of a bill does not mean laws are about to change. It has to pass through congress first and get the president's approval too.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
psyko514 wrote: The introduction of a bill does not mean laws are about to change. It has to pass through congress first and get the president's approval too.
Yeah... wait 'till someone tries to tag defund planned parenthood or kill Obamacare rider on to it.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Yeah... wait 'till someone tries to tag defund planned parenthood or kill Obamacare rider on to it.
Kind of like when Springfield was going to be obliterated by a comet:
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So basically just like laws in most other countries for foreign nationals.
I'm sure it'll soon be the case in Canada as well.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't this already trivially easy to bypass? Steal someone's identity, open a credit card in their name, and enjoy all the burners you'll ever need.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)