• Oct 14th, 2017 4:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5204 posts
1227 upvotes
Montreal

Prescription for pet medecine

My dog has chronic UTI and has been on antibiotics twice in the past 2 months. Prices are absurd at the vet...
I have found pet drug mart and prices are much more reasonable. I'm sure the vet wants you to buy from their own store, but are they obligated to give us a prescription when asked so we can buy it from somewhere else?
6 replies
Jan 16, 2007
941 posts
140 upvotes
I have my vet call in my lab's prescription to Costco pharmacy. SOOOOO much cheaper than paying vet prices. My vet had no problem doing it for me but you may want to ask if yours will.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5204 posts
1227 upvotes
Montreal
canadiantj wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 5:49 am
I have my vet call in my lab's prescription to Costco pharmacy. SOOOOO much cheaper than paying vet prices. My vet had no problem doing it for me but you may want to ask if yours will.
yeah I compared prices, they charged almost 4 times the price per pill for the antibiotic. That's crazy.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
266 upvotes
British Columbia
Just so you are aware, the rates a human pharmacy is charged for their medication is far lower than the rates a veterinary clinic is charged for their medication. Vet clinics simply pay more. I discovered the opposite is true in comparison to supplies used for dental equipment - in human dental clinics they could pay double or more for things such as gloves compared to a veterinary clinic. They may be the same products but they are not aquired from the same places.

Anyway, all that to say that a vet clinic can't compete with a human pharmacy rates and that for their time spent writing or filling a prescription on medication you could be buying from them instead they may have a fee.
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
To prevent chronic uti from e coli infections, try giving your dog d-mannose powder. Also probiotics are great additions, eg. from kefir, sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store or from green tripe
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5204 posts
1227 upvotes
Montreal
Bull Dog wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:12 pm
To prevent chronic uti from e coli infections, try giving your dog d-mannose powder. Also probiotics are great additions, eg. from kefir, sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store or from green tripe
MY dog finished a run of antibiotics this week so I'm currently giving her a cranberry supplement.
Supposedly it'S the d-mannose in the cranberry that does the job? What's the dosage for a 18lbs dog?
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
Madevilz wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:56 pm
MY dog finished a run of antibiotics this week so I'm currently giving her a cranberry supplement.
Supposedly it'S the d-mannose in the cranberry that does the job? What's the dosage for a 18lbs dog?
The d-mannose is the active ingredient in cranberry. Give about 1/4 tsp mixed into food with water once daily as preventative, and every 2-3 hours for an established infection.