Personal Finance

President's Choice Financial Customer Service getting worse?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2010 12:06 am
Mar 25, 2009
245 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto

President's Choice Financial Customer Service getting worse?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the President's Choice Financial Customer Service getting worse? I have had my PC Financial Master Card for several years now and never had any issues with the card itself or customer service. In the past few month i noticed a number of things:

- call wait times are much longer (more than 10min on average) than usual and much longer than American Express
- the level of professionalism of the CS reps is on a decline. at more than one occasion i had to deal with an extremely RUDE and impatient CSR. They all seemed very defensive and argumentative ....
- the willingness to HELP and/or "go the extra mile" is non-existent. a simple thing to do for Amex (issue a new supplementary card for my spouse with MY last name after getting married) was IMPOSSIBLE to do for PC Mastercard. There are no forms, no instructions - just pure confusion !!

Has anyone else made similar observations and/or experiences?
27 replies
Mar 23, 2010
212 posts
Montreal
mcfrugal wrote:
May 10th, 2010 1:18 pm
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the President's Choice Financial Customer Service getting worse? I have had my PC Financial Master Card for several years now and never had any issues with the card itself or customer service. In the past few month i noticed a number of things:

- call wait times are much longer (more than 10min on average) than usual and much longer than American Express
- the level of professionalism of the CS reps is on a decline. at more than one occasion i had to deal with an extremely RUDE and impatient CSR. They all seemed very defensive and argumentative ....
- the willingness to HELP and/or "go the extra mile" is non-existent. a simple thing to do for Amex (issue a new supplementary card for my spouse with MY last name after getting married) was IMPOSSIBLE to do for PC Mastercard. There are no forms, no instructions - just pure confusion !!

But it's free and saves you money. They didn't promise to pluck the moon from the sky or civility and coherence. Don't complain.
Sep 3, 2007
605 posts
21 upvotes
Aurora
sorry for change in direction...

This post got my attention, as I have a PC checking account for several years now (say at least 5, maybe 7, don't know). In these years, I don't remember ever calling them, not even once. Is that just me or others do the same, where they use online to pay bilsl, ATM to withdraw, and auto-deposit though work?
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8219 posts
2353 upvotes
Ottawa
mazzer76 wrote:
May 10th, 2010 1:25 pm
But it's free and saves you money. They didn't promise to pluck the moon from the sky or civility and coherence. Don't complain.
Probably 90% of credit cards are 'free', yet you don't see this type of behavior from other CC companies.

I agree with OP and cancelled my credit card recently after dealing with a bunch of rude CSR's and faxing the same documentation 4 times after claiming they nver received it.

All around bad service for me too from PC Mastercard.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2009
245 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
mazzer76 wrote:
May 10th, 2010 1:25 pm
the AMEX airmiles card is FREE too but they treat you like a king! explain that to me!!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
143 upvotes
SC
some reps are good others aren't so good.
i had bought some cibc mutual funds with them and in order to reach cibc i would call pcf and tell them i wanted to check my mutual funds. you would think everytime i called it would take the same procedures, the same time to get linked to a cibc person...but nope! some have no clue and need to ask for help..while others will take the initiative and say..oh ill transfer right away i just need to verify your identification.

my advice is, if your young and need a good bank to start with pcf is a great choice, it's simple and because of the no fees.
once u have money saved up, transfer to a better bank and get no fees by having their products or some money with them. the major difference is level of customer service support. i can email rbc and i usually get a response after 1 business day. and they are more flexible with fees...
Nov 8, 2007
382 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
I have been a PC customer for 11 years. Never have any real problems with them but I only use them for day to day and thats it.

My only complaint is that there phone service has a billion options I find myself in an area I do not need to be in most of the time. I have also sent a few emails be never get a response.

I am happy with what I get since there are no service fees.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
I have only ever had to call PCF customer service a few times with issues, and on those occasions they were reasonably polite and efficient and I got what I wanted. No complaints here.

On the other hand, I have noticed that things have gotten worse with all the banks and their credit card agencies in the last year - i.e., higher fees and interest rates, retracting former advantages, rude and incompetent customer service, unwillingness to go the extra mile etc.. I think it's a side effect of the economic downturn. The banks have a history of always returning high profits that their stock value and executive bonuses depend on. When things take a downturn, they cut back customer service and put the screws to their customers to try to maintain profits. I'm sure CIBC/PCF is no exception.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1687 posts
130 upvotes
Burlington
mcfrugal wrote:

Just to point out - PC MasterCard is owned/run by/staffed with the same people as PCF bank.

They are totally separate! PCF is provided by CIBC and PC MC is provided by President’s Choice Bank. PC Points are provided by President’s Choice Services Inc. Not sure how these all fit together though!
Mar 23, 2010
212 posts
Montreal
mcfrugal wrote:
May 10th, 2010 2:12 pm
the AMEX airmiles card is FREE too but they treat you like a king! explain that to me!!
And they will be douchy with some other schmucker, hence why my friend cancelled their card with Cosco, and it was for a costly service error and they were being difficult about it. As for your free-banking service complaint, then take your business elsewhere. Frankly, it doesn't matter to them, as there is someone who is going to take your place.
Mar 23, 2004
33111 posts
2106 upvotes
Markham
mcfrugal wrote:

Then issue a complain to their supervisors. That's the best u can do.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2327 posts
7 upvotes
My dirty secret for getting through to a rep immediately is to hit the "report you card lost or stolen" button. It's not what it is there for, but it works every time.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3814 posts
166 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
abu_sme wrote:
May 10th, 2010 9:41 pm
My dirty secret for getting through to a rep immediately is to hit the "report you card lost or stolen" button. It's not what it is there for, but it works every time.
Sounds like this is no longer a secret, lol. That said, doing this will hurt others who actually have a stolen card!
Aug 10, 2007
389 posts
3 upvotes
Canada
Yeah I dumped PC a while ago to, constantly getting my debit card locked and not notifying me of anything, having to wait on hold then having to run to a cibc machine in like half an hour to change my pin... Yeah I'd rather pay the few dollars and have some kind of monitoring service and calls from my bank not me waiting in line at a store only to find my debit doesn't work.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2009
245 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
angel_wing0 wrote:
May 10th, 2010 6:37 pm
Then issue a complain to their supervisors. That's the best u can do.
the PC Financial supervisors aren't any better ... from my recent experience they are actually MORE snotty and smart ass type personalities. been there tried that ...
× < >