Food & Drink

President's Choice New products...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 9:02 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6169 posts
1088 upvotes
Noticed a few new products in the Independent flyer, Black Label "00" Farina, Black Label Pistachio Spread, pricey at $12.99 for 190g, regular $14.99. Cream on Top Yogurt,
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Nov 17th, 2016 1:02 pm
Noticed a few new products in the Independent flyer, Black Label "00" Farina, Black Label Pistachio Spread, pricey at $12.99 for 190g, regular $14.99. Cream on Top Yogurt,
I bought my husband 2 tubs of the Cream on Top Yogurt. The fat content I believe was 6%. He thought I was trying to pass off a lower fat yogurt. It did not come in vanilla so I had to buy one black cherry and one lemon - as did another customer. I saw the same customer yesterday - again at the yogurt display and both of us bought another brand.

I even tried just using the "top" level - supposedly the cream and my husband did not notice any difference from the rest of the product.

He prefers the vanilla because it is the same colour throughout. Plain is out of the question, no matter what I add to it.

However, we are all different and perhaps others might like it. Actually he didn't care of the PC Greek yogurt either.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13955 posts
2414 upvotes
Toronto
Dogwater wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 3:22 pm
Have you seen the new President Choice rustic cakes (Zucchini, pumpkin or carrot)? Where are they located- freezer, refrigerator or bakery shelf / table? Thanks for any info!

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/pr ... -cake.html

Has anybody eaten it? Is it worth buying? It costs around $8 for a box.

-
Chocolate Zucchini? Sounds digusting.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
^ You don't taste zucchini in a cake like that; it makes the cake really moist.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
966 upvotes
Yellowknife
bonterra wrote:
Nov 17th, 2016 12:09 am
Talking about turkey...New PC frozen turkey, Normandy butter basted, cook from frozen, two stuffings. One is an Apple Bread stuffing, the other is a "Bangers" meat stuffing.

Didn't really notice the price but my first thought was that a cook from frozen turkey could become very expensive with the Ontario hydro prices. Lol!! I guess you'd probably be cooking it at off-peak hours (holiday) but still....

I think I'll still be deep frying my Christmas turkey.
For the new Insider's Report, some stores are having tasting parties at their Upstairs Cooking Schools. Went last night. The hummus roll-- um, will pass. The turkey with two stuffing- yum! 6 hours in the oven. It didn't need any dressing - very moist. The decadent mini 'puddings' - way, way too sweet. The frozen avocados-- the chefs were at the event and used the avocados with a little lemon and shallots + tortilla chips-- a real winner. The poutine chicken is good. The waffle cone chicken -- not too good.

BTW, any PC product you buy and try, but don't like, can take back for full refund with receipt. It's usually printed on the package.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7813 posts
407 upvotes
Vancouver
natalka wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 6:30 pm
Ya I don't even like zucchini but love zucchini bread lol. Can't even taste zucchini. It's yummy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7813 posts
407 upvotes
Vancouver
Btw where can I view the new? Insiders report? Doesn't that have a list of featured and new PC products?

Thank u
Sep 11, 2012
26 posts
18 upvotes
Dogwater wrote:
Have you seen the new President Choice rustic cakes (Zucchini, pumpkin or carrot)? Where are they located- freezer, refrigerator or bakery shelf / table? Thanks for any info!

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/pr ... -cake.html

Has anybody eaten it? Is it worth buying? It costs around $8 for a box.

-
I've seen them, but haven't tried them - they were on the bakery shelf, pretty prominently displayed beside the new rustic tarts.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7813 posts
407 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks! I agree re the paper version. I didn't realize it's gone :(. Online sucks.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6169 posts
1088 upvotes
natalka wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 6:30 pm
Like chocolate cake with beets in it or sauerkraut, just adds texture and moistness but not flavour.
Last edited by bonterra on Nov 18th, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6169 posts
1088 upvotes
Dogwater wrote:

At Independent and Superstore the Rustic cakes were in a freezer bunker with the frozen cheesecakes etc.. The tarts and galettes (apple/cranberry, apple, and pecan/chocolate) were in a freezer at Independent but thawed and on a bakery department table at Superstore.

I've bought the Carrot and Pumpkin but haven't tried yet. Chocolate cake is one of my specialties so won't be buying it.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6169 posts
1088 upvotes
coupondiva2012 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 6:42 pm
For the new Insider's Report, some stores are having tasting parties at their Upstairs Cooking Schools. Went last night. The hummus roll-- um, will pass. The turkey with two stuffing- yum! 6 hours in the oven. It didn't need any dressing - very moist. The decadent mini 'puddings' - way, way too sweet. The frozen avocados-- the chefs were at the event and used the avocados with a little lemon and shallots + tortilla chips-- a real winner. The poutine chicken is good. The waffle cone chicken -- not too good.

BTW, any PC product you buy and try, but don't like, can take back for full refund with receipt. It's usually printed on the package.
I hadn't heard of the Tasting Parties, thanks. I s there a fee?

Agree on the Hummus Roll, not a rebuy, too many sesame seeds, hummus was kind of dry and not enough tapenade or harissa. Love all the topped hummus though, especially the preserved lemon.