Food & Drink

President's Choice New products...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2017 10:49 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3347 posts
1015 upvotes
So I tried the new Country Harvest Bakes things (yeah, not PC, but Weston owned by Loblaws, but I did have a 3,000 pts per PC Plus offer to compensate me for my experience so they are PC-ish IMO.)

I think they are meant to be competition to the Ozery Pita Break Morning Rounds. I usually buy the Apple Cinnamon (also has raisins) from Ozery Pita Break so I tried the Canadian Apple Cinnamon with Raisins from Country Harvest.

Ozery Pita Break has a better texture (chewier, glutenier) vs. the more cake-like Country Harvest things, which have some lentil and chickpea and other gluten-free flours in there that shorten the dough (it is not gluten-free overall). Flavour? OMG, the Country Harvest Bakes had no discernible cinnamon and the "apple" flavour tasted like artificial green apple candy flavouring. (You can smell the flavour through the bag. The ingredients say natural flavour but the effect is really fake IMO.)

I really like Ozery Pita Break Morning Rounds and I rate Country Harvest Bakes as mildly unpleasant. Saw them at Walmart at $2.37.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6054 posts
1041 upvotes
New small potato in the PC line, Ripple Potato Fingerling. Looks like a fingerling potato with kind of spiral patterned dents in it.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3347 posts
1015 upvotes
Loblaw has a new chai tea in its Suraj line, so I had a tea-off:

New! Just found! Cheap!
Suraj Masala Spiced Black Tea 72 round bags in 2 sealed pouches 166g $3.99 (5.5¢/bag)
black tea, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, natural flavour

Most likely knocking off this product, made by an Indian co. and packed in NJ and my fave for over a decade:
Tea India Masala Chai Tea 72 round bags in 2 sealed pouches 163g $4.49 (6.2¢/bag)
black tea, ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, natural flavour, cardamom

PC's previous attempt at chai:
PC Chai Black Tea 20 individually-wrapped bags 40g $2.99 (15.0¢/bag)
black tea, ginger, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, natural flavour, cardamom

So the PC tea is just weird, overpowered by the flavour of star anise (licorice) and based on a weak and delicate black tea (darjeeling). A very weird take on chai. Not what I would expect. I don't like it.

The Tea India and the Suraj are similar to each other. Each is based on a robust black tea, and have most of the the same spices - the Suraj has no cloves and less black pepper so it is not as hot/spicy as Tea India. Suraj also has a lot more cardamom so it has a stronger resinous flavour. Overall the Suraj seems milder, and the smell of the tea/bags is weaker.

IMO Tea India is still my favourite but Suraj would do in a pinch (I am missing the gentle heat of Tea India) and PC just won't do.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
1946 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
bonterra wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 12:55 pm
Skyr now comes in 4 pack of 100g. cups.
But not plain, at least I have never seen it.
Sep 11, 2012
26 posts
18 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 2:16 pm
The new frozen cod cakes with lemon dill sauce are on sale at $4.98 and in-store points offer of 2500 points.

Thought they were worth a try so bought.
Have you tried these? Had them last night for dinner and I'd say they were a 3/10 for me - I found the liquidy centre very odd, but not sure what I was expecting because it was exactly as pictured on the box.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6054 posts
1041 upvotes
phdnrd wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 1:58 pm
Have you tried these? Had them last night for dinner and I'd say they were a 3/10 for me - I found the liquidy centre very odd, but not sure what I was expecting because it was exactly as pictured on the box.
They were sampling them one weekend, tried and sample was close to raw. Haven't been able to bring myself to try them after that.

Thanks for the review. Think I'll just pitch the box.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6054 posts
1041 upvotes
To go with the green tea pops, Latte Pops.
Images
  • 20170319_163121.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5273 posts
268 upvotes
TO
bonterra wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 11:37 pm
To go with the green tea pops, Latte Pops.
Have you tried these?
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

I use Plastiq to pay bills! It's magic ;)
#1 rule of Churning club - KCaDCA
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5273 posts
268 upvotes
TO
Also wondering if someone here know of a similar product to that of Trader Joe's equivalent of the Green dragon hot sauce. I know PC has some very unique product line and was wondering if you've noticed any new hot sauce flavors worth trying?
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

I use Plastiq to pay bills! It's magic ;)
#1 rule of Churning club - KCaDCA
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6054 posts
1041 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 1:48 pm
Also wondering if someone here know of a similar product to that of Trader Joe's equivalent of the Green dragon hot sauce. I know PC has some very unique product line and was wondering if you've noticed any new hot sauce flavors worth trying?
I haven't seen a green hot sauce in the PC line. Do like their newish Memories Gochujang sauce.

I've got two green sauces on the go. One is the Simply Natural Organic Green Sriracha, the other is Musashi Midori Sriracha. The first is from Costco, came in a 2 pack with a red sriracha, last time I saw it, it was clearing out at $3.97. It's quite thin, but very delicious, medium-low heat. The Musashi is pretty widely available at Metro, Foodland etc. It's a little thicker. It's also very good. Medium heat. A little sharper, tangier, brighter than the Simply Natural.

I like to mix the green sauces with mayonnaise to use as a sauce/dip for fish. Great on grilled tuna.

Trader Joe's Green Dragon:

Ingredients: Water, Organic Jalapeño Pepper Puree, Tomatillo Puree, White Distilled Vinegar, Cane Sugar, Cilantro Puree (Cilantro, Vegetable Oil [Canola Oil and/or Olive Oil], Citric Acid [for Freshness]), Salt, Garlic Puree (Garlic, Water), Garlic, Spinach Powder, Lime Juice Concentrate, Habanero Pepper Powder, Xanthan Gum.

Simply Natural:

Ingredients: Water, organic green jalapeno pepper puree, organic tomatillo puree, organic white vinegar, organic sugar, pureed organic cilantro, organic garlic puree, salt, organic garlic, powdered organic spinach, concentrated organic lime juice, powdered organic habanero peppers, xanthan gum

Musashi:

Ingredients: Green Serrano Peppers, Garlic, Rice Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Potassium sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Color.

Made this recipe last night, talking about green sauces:

http://www.gustotv.com/recipe/grilled-t ... lsa-verde/

Now I want to try the Trader Joe's sauce. Thanks for mentioning it.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3347 posts
1015 upvotes
There is also a PC Black Label Tomatillo Salsa

Tomatillos, roasted jalapeno peppers, roasted tomato puree, onions, water, salt, white vinegar, cilantro, crushed garlic (contains citric acid), lime juice, spices, spice extract.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6054 posts
1041 upvotes
$2.79 and 750 points this week at Independent. The tomatillo and chipotle salsas are staples in my house.

Saw a couple of green sauces, jalapeno and serrano at HomeSense today but forgot the brand.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3347 posts
1015 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 9:48 pm
$2.79 and 750 points this week at Independent. The tomatillo and chipotle salsas are staples in my house.
Just checked and Zehrs has the offer too. Zehrs also has PC brie for $5.99 +1,000 pts and there is a $3WUB2 printable at websaver.ca making it $8.98 + 2,000 pts for 2, $1.75/100g if you count the points. Not as cheap as the Albert's Leap grilled cheese brie at Costco, but a good price for brie that didn't come in a can.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)