Cell Phones

President's Choice Non-Smartphone Web Browsing Experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2009 3:21 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes

President's Choice Non-Smartphone Web Browsing Experience?

I had asked the following question in at the tail end of another thread, but it got buried without receiving any answers:
newtonian wrote: If you plan on using it to check your emails and surf the web in the phone, go with President's Choice Mobile. You get 5$/month unlimited in device internet access. 25$ cards only last 2 months though but there is no 911 fee in most provinces, you have free unlimited incoming SMS and calls cost 0.20$/minute. The best phone they have is the Nokia 6275i (which is what I use). It costs only 100$ and it has high resolution screen (240x320), 2 megapixel camera with flash, FM radio, Jave Software support (I can run Google Maps on mine). It is becoming harder to find though since they have discontinued it. Their Motorola KRZR k1m isn't too bad.
Questions, questions... :)

When you use one of these non-smartphones for the unlimited web browsing, how restrictive is it? Can you navigate around the little screen? Is it super slow?

I see you mention Google Maps - so are most websites viewable and usable? For example: YouTube, Wikipedia, RFD, Weather Network, Toronto Star - or is it a selected list of websites selected by the provider? (If so, is the list published on the web? - I couldn't find it on the PC Mobile website.)

Does "unlimited" really mean unlimited?

Does the $5/month come out of your $25/2 months pay-as-you-go? (ie: will you have $7.50 divided by 20 cents left per month for voice calls?)

What are the best web browsing phone recommendations from the ones currently available?

(Answers to any or all of these questions would be most appreciated. :) )
3 replies
Dec 13, 2007
227 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
Except for the Nokia 6275i, all PC Mobile phones are very low resolution (176
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
Thank-you for your thoughtful and informative response, newtonian!

:)
Dec 13, 2007
227 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
No problem.

I just remembered something from PC mobile's FAQ (http://mobile.presidentschoice.ca/edeal ... aq.vm#17):
If you are not satisfied with your PC mobile phone within 14 days of purchasing it, you may return the phone for a full refund of its purchase price only. Any usage charges prior to return, such as airtime, long distance, additional services, etc., are not refundable.
You could always try one out and return it if you find the web experience sucks. At worst, you'll be out a few bucks.

I think you get $10 of credit when you activate a new phone so you won't even have to shell out for a $15 card.