• Sep 19th, 2018 8:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2542 posts
2062 upvotes
Vancouver

Press 2 for us to call you back

On hold with Telus for 89 minutes and counting.

So many big companies now have an "instead of waiting on hold, press 2 to leave a callback number. You won't lose your place in line, and we'll call you back as soon as an agent is available." That is such a good idea. Why can't Telus (and all companies where waiting on hold for 90 minutes is common) do this too.

I guess this is a gripe thread, but come on. Sick of waiting on hold on a Friday night.
23 replies
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1414 posts
255 upvotes
Ontario
Telus in Ontario has the worst customer service.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1561 posts
404 upvotes
B.C.
Google the support line for roaming - it should be a 416 number - unless they've discontinued the service.

They're awesome and totally not useless - but if the person who answers in't cool they might not help you with your not-roaming related issue.

All bets are off if it's about phone/tv service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2542 posts
2062 upvotes
Vancouver
Of course they'll answer the roaming line. People who call that line want to give them money. I have Telus home internet. Trying to cancel the unlimited bandwidth that I'm paying $15/month for. It's almost like they know what I'm calling about and are deliberately not answering. The recorded message estimated 60 minutes. I hung up earlier in the week when they said the same thing because I didn't have time. Up to 137 minutes now
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2247 posts
1180 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Kiraly wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 2:33 am
Aaaaaaand, after 181 minutes, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. Cut off.
...yeah...your call was likely mishandled by the IVR and stuck in a 'ghost queue' of sorts and not answerable. Remember....
tomorrow is another day.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3247 posts
972 upvotes
Mississauga
It would be great if you could invoice these companies for your wasted time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2542 posts
2062 upvotes
Vancouver
Got through this morning after 5 minutes. Agent said that there is a system that will prompt you to enter a callback number after waiting on hold for 10 minutes. Sigh. I told him there was no such prompt last night. I think ALLCAPS is right, stuck in ghost queue.

Agent said he'd cancel my $15/month unlimited internet. Not sure I believe him. To avoid having to call in again if the request doesn't go through, I changed my billing credit card to my $0 balance Mogo prepaid, ha ha.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1207 posts
262 upvotes
Kanata
Kiraly wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 1:47 am
Of course they'll answer the roaming line. People who call that line want to give them money. I have Telus home internet. Trying to cancel the unlimited bandwidth that I'm paying $15/month for. It's almost like they know what I'm calling about and are deliberately not answering. The recorded message estimated 60 minutes. I hung up earlier in the week when they said the same thing because I didn't have time. Up to 137 minutes now
Number of years ago, i got a rogers cable box for Christmas. Went to activate it, but of course on Boxing day (or the 27th, I don't remember) the lines were busy with many others trying to do the same thing. Wait time would have been hours. Called and pressed the option to pay a bill and had someone in less than two minutes. Told them what I wanted and they transferred me to the front of the line.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1205 posts
41 upvotes
Wait times for koodo (ie telus sister company) are long too. BUT someone here on rfd mentioned in koodo deals thread that if you pick the option to activate a new phone/account they usually answer quicker.

I have tried this 3 times now and the call was answered within 5 mins each time. Others from rfd have complained that they have been hold with koodo for an hour plus.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4525 posts
1012 upvotes
Alberta
I honestly think that they do this on purpose when you call to cancel. They are hoping that you will give in and hang up. The last time I called it was over 2.5 hrs. Glad I had a speakerphone option on my phone. Watched TV, surfed the net while they played music to me. These clowns couldn’t hire more than one person to answer the phone?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13167 posts
2121 upvotes
Toronto
Just put your phone into speaker mode and let the music play. (hopefully loud enough so you can be hands free and still hear it well)
Then go off and do other things (ie sort laundry or whatever...) while the phone is chiming away to their finest hold music (lol)...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3889 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 1:28 pm
Got through this morning after 5 minutes. Agent said that there is a system that will prompt you to enter a callback number after waiting on hold for 10 minutes. Sigh. I told him there was no such prompt last night. I think ALLCAPS is right, stuck in ghost queue.

Agent said he'd cancel my $15/month unlimited internet. Not sure I believe him. To avoid having to call in again if the request doesn't go through, I changed my billing credit card to my $0 balance Mogo prepaid, ha ha.
That might work... but if they're really incompetent, they might keep trying to charge it, keep adding additional fees and eventually send it to collections?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)