• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 1:47 pm
[OP]
May 7, 2008
448 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto

Pressure Cookers - Which one?

I haven't used pressure cookers in a long time and tried one again recently and I'm convinced it's the best way to cook meat for stews etc. - just looking for the best one in the market. I see all the damned consumer reports and home cook blogs, but still can't make up my mind about which one to get, feels like all the reviewers are getting paid.

Anyone have any opinions? Some of the ones that I've looked at/keep popping include:
-Instant Pot
-Breville Fast Slow cooker (including Pro version)
-Fagor
-Cuisinart Electric - this was one I recently tried
-Various T-Fal
-Kuhn Rikon

I'm not adverse to buy an expensive machine or pot as long it produces better quality than the other models.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3017 posts
673 upvotes
I would recommend comparing the REVIEWS for different models on Amazon. People provide quite a bit of information on these reviews and you should very quickly get an idea of which one is best for your purposes. I use mine to cook vegetarian meals but you may find a different model is best suited for meat stews.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3814 posts
525 upvotes
Richmond Hill
+1 Instant Pot. Hands down.

We use it a fair bit - curries, stews, slow cooks, etc.
Tonnes of recipes online.
Saves a poop load of time.
Flavours and textures are always great because it's a pressure cooker.
The electronics and timers help a lot so we don't have to monitor it like a hawk like the old manual ones (with the shaker valves).
There have been a few deals in the past, the price hovers around $99 at that point.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2098 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
Instant Pot. Dont bother with anything else.
Mar 9, 2008
255 posts
21 upvotes
Instant Pot, been using it like every other day since I bought it a month ago.
Mar 10, 2012
173 posts
89 upvotes
THORNHILL
I have several Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers, love them.

They are expensive, but they're also excellent pots (ie, not just pressure cookers).

I believe the instant pot only gets to 12psi or so. Not a huge deal, but you'll need to adjust some recipes a bit.

Thanks,

Brian
Jun 25, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
+1 on the Instant Pot

It works very well and most other brands are simply trying to copy/catch-up to it. Since we bought it on Boxing Day 2015, I've used it a few times every week. I've also got rid of my slow cooker and rice cooker (Yay for more space in the kitchen cabinets!). I have the 6 Qt model, and now that they launched the 8 Qt size, you can find great deals on the 6 Qt - which is large enough for a couple or small family.

You can find a gazillion recipes (for every dietary restriction/preference), suitable accessories, and user communities/groups for the Instant Pot, and I especially like the one-pot meals and freezer meals!

After using it for a bit, I've even started creating/sharing my own recipes and tweaking older recipes to make on it!
Food, Travel & Lifestyle blogger *link removed for self promotion*
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1241 upvotes
Toronto
enwhyRFD wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 10:39 am
+1 Instant Pot. Hands down.

We use it a fair bit - curries, stews, slow cooks, etc.
Tonnes of recipes online.
Saves a poop load of time.
Flavours and textures are always great because it's a pressure cooker.
The electronics and timers help a lot so we don't have to monitor it like a hawk like the old manual ones (with the shaker valves).
There have been a few deals in the past, the price hovers around $99 at that point.
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 11:17 am
Instant Pot. Dont bother with anything else.
uvadtmfub wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 4:39 pm
Instant Pot, been using it like every other day since I bought it a month ago.
VivaHappyBlog wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 5:49 pm
+1 on the Instant Pot

It works very well and most other brands are simply trying to copy/catch-up to it. Since we bought it on Boxing Day 2015, I've used it a few times every week. I've also got rid of my slow cooker and rice cooker (Yay for more space in the kitchen cabinets!). I have the 6 Qt model, and now that they launched the 8 Qt size, you can find great deals on the 6 Qt - which is large enough for a couple or small family.

You can find a gazillion recipes (for every dietary restriction/preference), suitable accessories, and user communities/groups for the Instant Pot, and I especially like the one-pot meals and freezer meals!

After using it for a bit, I've even started creating/sharing my own recipes and tweaking older recipes to make on it!
Is there a difference between the 6.0 quart vs 6.33 quart v2 other than size?
Jun 25, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 9:45 am
Is there a difference between the 6.0 quart vs 6.33 quart v2 other than size?
I have the Instant Pot Duo60, which is a 2015 model. Make sure you are not comparing the "Duo" with the "Lux" cookers, as they are different product lines.

It seems the main difference to the V2 is not the size, but the fact that the V2 has a memory function for the cooking time and high/low temp setting you used last. If you cook the same things often (e.g. rice a few times a week), I can see why this would be an interesting feature, so you don't need to adjust the settings every time. A few other things were added to the V2, like the ability to turn off the beeping sound, turn off the keep warm mode, detachable cord, etc.

Here's a comparison - http://bestreviews.com/best-instant-pots
Food, Travel & Lifestyle blogger *link removed for self promotion*
Sep 8, 2002
316 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
+1 on Instant Pot but I have not tried any other ones, we use it a lot less now since I got an Anova :D (they are not in the same category but with the nice weather, we are grilling more and eating a lot less stew type meals).

There is also a comparison for the IP and Breville on Serious Eats.
May 29, 2017
34 posts
1 upvote
Sorry to hijack this, Instant Pot owners, how do you get rid of the smell in the lid? I used it once and the smell stays no matter how long i soaked it.
Oct 10, 2004
711 posts
82 upvotes
Winnipeg
What smell? The food you just prepared? I don't have any odor issues with mine.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2098 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
sharkhead wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 11:10 pm
Sorry to hijack this, Instant Pot owners, how do you get rid of the smell in the lid? I used it once and the smell stays no matter how long i soaked it.
No issues what so ever. Take off the gasket and wash it.