• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 1:47 pm
Apr 4, 2012
429 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 10:40 am
No issues what so ever. Take off the gasket and wash it.
This, and maybe pressure steam some water, but I never had problems with smells either
Jun 25, 2017
15 posts
11 upvotes
sharkhead wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 11:10 pm
Sorry to hijack this, Instant Pot owners, how do you get rid of the smell in the lid? I used it once and the smell stays no matter how long i soaked it.
The rubber ring/gasket on the lid seems to absorb some of the smell from the food you cook in it, but I don't find that it ever transfers over to the next foods. Some people suggest getting extra rings and using them for similar food categories (i.e. 1 ring for savoury, 1 for desserts, etc). I haven't felt the need for them yet, but if interested in this option, Amazon offers colour coded ring sets for the IP.
Food, Travel & Lifestyle blogger - vivahappy.com
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1627 posts
286 upvotes
Hometown
If you go Instant Pot don't forget to check their own website for the unit and accessories. With free shipping on EVERY order and no minimum, they are cheaper than Amazon if you don't have a Prime membership. I got one during the Prime sale price matched at BestBuy. So still learning but it can save a ton of time on certain things....

The only con so far is I haven't been impressed with the slow cooker function on mine... (common problem when cooking meat dishes, because only the bottom of the insert heats and at a LOWER temperature than any decent crock pot...)

Canadian site for all the gear.

https://store.instantpot.ca/
May 21, 2015
450 posts
178 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I've been a pressure cooker fan for decades with stove top models. About 10 years ago I bought an electronic Bravetti that has a few automatic functions and it's worked very well but had no manual settings and a teflon coated inner pot.. I saw the Instant Pots on sale at CT this past weekend and decided to get the 8 qt model. So far so good.. I've already made a huge batch of stew and near 8 qts of chili tonight . For smaller things like boiling potatoes for dinner, which can take forever the traditional way.. I'll still use the smaller stove top pressure cooker as they heat up faster to pressure,, and then it's only a matter of about 6 minutes and they're cooked. But for anyone new to pressure cooking, an automatic like the Instant Pot is the way to go.
Mar 24, 2015
543 posts
103 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I've been using the same stovetop pressure cooker for years now, paid like $50. Easy to use and fast once you get the hang of it.
Husband thought about buying me an instant pot but have way too many kitchen stuff already. Maybe when the pressure cooker stops working properly...
Sep 15, 2011
70 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
sharkhead wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 11:10 pm
Sorry to hijack this, Instant Pot owners, how do you get rid of the smell in the lid? I used it once and the smell stays no matter how long i soaked it.
I soaked the gasket for a couple of days in a vinegar/water mixture and it did the trick.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2070 posts
440 upvotes
Scarborough
Speaking of pressure cookers is there any consumer pressure fryers available?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1195 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
OrangeBerry wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 5:19 pm
Speaking of pressure cookers is there any consumer pressure fryers available?
None. Because oil, unlike water, can't be released safely using any simple mechanism, making a *safe* pressure fryer a much more complicated thing than a simple pressure cookers.
Jul 19, 2014
987 posts
182 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Hawkins Classic inexpensive and seals well , 15psi I believe.
May 29, 2017
28 posts
VivaHappyBlog wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 9:43 pm

The rubber ring/gasket on the lid seems to absorb some of the smell from the food you cook in it, but I don't find that it ever transfers over to the next foods. Some people suggest getting extra rings and using them for similar food categories (i.e. 1 ring for savoury, 1 for desserts, etc). I haven't felt the need for them yet, but if interested in this option, Amazon offers colour coded ring sets for the IP.
I'll looking into the rings. I don't use the cooker everyday so I want to put it away without smell.
sr1234 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 9:50 pm
I soaked the gasket for a couple of days in a vinegar/water mixture and it did the trick.
I will give that a try, I just soak it with water and little dish soap and it helps to remove some smell.

Thanks all.
Oct 15, 2015
929 posts
575 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Instant Pot is a pretty good one, very easy to use and clean
Tried making soup, bean, and meat with it, cook fast and worked like a charm
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3882 posts
423 upvotes
Thornhill
at1212b wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 9:45 am
Is there a difference between the 6.0 quart vs 6.33 quart v2 other than size?
6 quart is the standar and the cheapest. V2 vs v3 are pretty much the same, with minor adjustments in the lid and buttons. It's 99% the same.