• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2009 12:41 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 11, 2009
33 posts
Waterloo

Pressure treated deck

I have a new deck (pressure treated) on a walkout lot (about 350 sq feet) and am unsure about maintenance. Do I just leave it or do I need to seal or stain it every year?? The railings are aluminum and glass so nothing required there. Thanks.
10 replies
Feb 24, 2009
339 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
Seal it every year with Thompson's WaterSeal.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1191 posts
109 upvotes
Stoney Creek
If it is brand new you should not seal it right away unless you buy something to remove coating from manufacturer...there are products that strip away the coating on new pressure treated wood. Then I would use Cabot's Australian Timber Oil ($50 per gallon approx) excellent stuff. You only need to do it every 2 years. Make sure you thoroughly clean deck before application and follow instructions on can. My deck is 5 years old and looks brand new...I use the Honey Teak Timber Oil from Cabot's...looks awesome!
Oct 16, 2008
89 posts
newhomeowner wrote:
Mar 19th, 2009 7:54 pm
I have a new deck (pressure treated) on a walkout lot (about 350 sq feet) and am unsure about maintenance. Do I just leave it or do I need to seal or stain it every year?? The railings are aluminum and glass so nothing required there. Thanks.

Pressure treated wood when exposed to the sun will crack, twist and turn smoky in a few years. Look at the fences in our backyard, it is the same type of timber we use to build decks.

If you have had this deck for a few months, you can stain it in the spring when there is no rain in the forecast. A good wash with soap first, wait at least 24 hrs to dry then apply the stain.

About selecting your stain, there are 3 types:

- Natural stain like Thompson's Water Seal, it will let the wood grains show through but would not protect well against the sun's UV and therefore will not last long.

- Medium stain like Cabot Australian Timber oil will give your deck a colored coating (honey or mahogary looking) but still show the wood grains. This will protect better and 1 gallon would be enough for 2 decks of your size.

- Heavy stain is like paint, it will cover the wood stain completely and therefore lasts much longer.

If you want to research more, use this link http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/porch/
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
33 posts
Waterloo
Thanks for the tips! Hard to believe the range of advice from leave it for a few years to do something right away :confused:
Oct 16, 2008
89 posts
newhomeowner wrote:
Mar 21st, 2009 10:41 pm
Thanks for the tips! Hard to believe the range of advice from leave it for a few years to do something right away :confused:
The reason some people may wait for a period of times is to get the green chemical off the wood. Otherwise you would be staining that green coating rather than your deck.

In my case, I put in the deck in the fall. The winter cold temp, the wind and spring showers washed the green chemical off. After a good wash and scrubbing, you can see the wood become whiten and ready to be stained.
Jan 5, 2006
530 posts
12 upvotes
Whitby
RageOfFury wrote:
Mar 19th, 2009 8:02 pm
Seal it every year with Thompson's WaterSeal.
I wouldn't touch that crap again if you paid me.. I applied it to my deck and it left a very tacky covering to it.. I had to sand the entire deck surface again..
Dec 28, 2008
563 posts
100 upvotes
Rural Ontario
98vtec wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2009 7:29 am
I wouldn't touch that crap again if you paid me.. I applied it to my deck and it left a very tacky covering to it.. I had to sand the entire deck surface again..
+1. Thompson puts all its money into marketing the product...not making the product. Save your hard earned money and time and go with any other brand.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
33 posts
Waterloo
Is the consenus than Australian Timber oil is the best????
Jul 13, 2006
888 posts
20 upvotes
I would not use Thompson's either... it's garbage.

I used Sico semi-transparent stain and my deck looks fantastic now. I did it in a "Natural" colour so it's still very much a normal wood colour but has some uniformity. I prepped with Sico deck/fence cleaner that you mix with warm water and spray on using a garden sprayer, then scrub in with a stiff bristled brush (also from Rona).

I did sand the entire deck first using a palm sander, as it was the first time the deck was going to receive stain (it was its second summer).

I will use the Sico stain again for sure... it was really easy to work with and should by all accounts last 3-4 years on a deck (and 5-6 years on vertical surfaces like railings and fences).
× < >