Home & Garden

Pressure treated wood shed base - stain or leave as is?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 10:14 am
[OP]
Jul 7, 2007
844 posts
348 upvotes

Pressure treated wood shed base - stain or leave as is?

So I have a shed base with built with pressure treated 5/8 plywood and pressure treated 2x6s on deck blocks. Do I need to paint/stain the plywood and 2x6s to protect it from the elements? Or will PT wood for a shed base be fine if I left it as is.

Picture for reference.
Images
  • 20181008_125848.jpg
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4249 posts
466 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Will be fine if left alone. Will age in appearance like a deck does, unless you like the fresh new look no need to paint it.

If any wood that is not PT is exposed to elements, you should paint it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31943 posts
6436 upvotes
Ottawa
If nothing else, seal the edges of the plywood. Water gets in there and the plywood will de-laminate after a while. While doing that, seal the exposed wood too.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Mar 8, 2016
142 posts
27 upvotes
Pressure wash it, let it dry out for a day then hit it with some semi transparent stain. Oil based so it soaks in keeping it from discoloration.the oil will help soak in the cut edges also.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1774 posts
207 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Leave the wood as is if you want the sun to turn all the wood black next summer. I wouldn't put paint on the shed because paint always cracks & peels, making it a pain to remove to re-paint. Semi-transparent stain is the best, there is just enough paint pigment in the stain to give the wood a nice colour but not enough pigment to be an issue when it's time to re-stain.
Mar 22, 2017
281 posts
230 upvotes
Yeah, I'd stain it. Even pressure treated wood will degrade over time, and staining it slows that process. If you want it to weather to grey, use a transparent stain.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3682 posts
2544 upvotes
Zero Hope wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 10:01 am
So I have a shed base with built with pressure treated 5/8 plywood and pressure treated 2x6s on deck blocks. Do I need to paint/stain the plywood and 2x6s to protect it from the elements? Or will PT wood for a shed base be fine if I left it as is.

Picture for reference.
Are you sure that stuff is pressure treated? New type of treatment with no colour cast?

I have a shed with a similar base of PT plywood resting on PT railroad ties on top of well-drained gravel. Nothing stained. It's almost 20 years old and still holding up fine. The difference is that the plywood edge of mine doesn't extend beyond the covering edge of the shed, while yours exposes a horizontal surface of several inches around the base. That's going to be trouble, accumulating dirt and moisture against the edge of the shed where the plywood will rot first.