[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7331 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto

Presto Card

"Tap into an easier commute"? Really?

While Presto might be a step up from separate ticketing on multiple transit systems and re-loadable, why does it cost $6 to get a card and why does it have to be "activated"? In places with real transit systems, you put your money or debit or credit card into a convenient machine and you receive a card charged with that amount which you can use immediately. This is easy, convenient and easy to use with no obstacles put in the way.

When I travel to Chicago, for example, I put, say, $20 on a card and use it until it needs to be reloaded. Or, I throw it away and get another card. Furthermore, if travelling with others, I can use the same card for everybody. Similarly, in London and many other cities.

Why can't Presto be as simple as this? It seems like a typical Ontario solution to a simple problem: make it as complicated as possible, charge for it and tell everybody how great an improvement it is.
642 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6007 posts
4117 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's not that bad. Plus, iirc, activation is optional.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
Jimbobs wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 10:40 pm
While Presto might be a step up from separate ticketing on multiple transit systems and re-loadable, why does it cost $6 to get a card and why does it have to be "activated"? In places with real transit systems, you put your money or debit or credit card into a convenient machine and you receive a card charged with that amount which you can use immediately. This is easy, convenient and easy to use with no obstacles put in the way.
The $6 is collected by PRESTO to cover administrative fees for the cost of the card and using the system. You can buy preloaded adult Presto cards at Customer Service Outlets or Presto vending machines.

Activation is required if you ordered your card online and registered it at the same time. If you purchased a card at a Customer Service Outlet or an anonymous card online, it does not need to be activated.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7331 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 11:14 pm
The $6 is collected by PRESTO to cover administrative fees for the cost of the card ...
This should be a hidden cost. In marketing terms, it is a "barrier to entry". It will slow down or inhibit the adoption of the service. If Metrolinx wants widespread adoption of Presto, it should make these cards freely and easily available
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9419 posts
536 upvotes
Markham
Jimbobs wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 11:20 pm
This should be a hidden cost. In marketing terms, it is a "barrier to entry". It will slow down or inhibit the adoption of the service. If Metrolinx wants widespread adoption of Presto, it should make these cards freely and easily available
I agree the Presto card fee should be lower, but in order to get discounted fares you will need a Presto card, so enough people will get it.
:lol:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7331 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
Hairball wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 11:30 pm
I agree the Presto card fee should be lower, but in order to get discounted fares you will need a Presto card, so enough people will get it.
In cities with modern fare systems, you receive the benefit of discounted fares by using their cards - without the fee!
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1905 posts
603 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I hate Presto too, especially their transaction history report because it can be a little confusing to understand. Also, I was charged $2 and something cents for missing my tap off of the train even though that was the last stop of the train. Called up GO and they said its a "missed tap" charge.

Bull*****.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2357 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
You can get the card for free at one of these events:

http://www.yorkregiontransit.com/en/far ... events.asp

And you don't have to activate it. It's good as soon as you get it. You only need to activate it when you register it on-line as a security measure.

Used it a couple of times but it will be much more useful once all the TTC buses accept it.
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22506 posts
4359 upvotes
Waterloo
Many cities charge $ for the card alone (admin fee or whatever), it's not just Presto

There are ways to get free Presto also (see above link)

Anyway, there are pros/cons with everything in life :)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
173 upvotes
Should the TTC be worried about more fare evasion?

What's going to stop people from boarding at the rear doors and not tapping?

I think there are over a thousand vehicles in service during rush hour and probably less than 50 fare inspectors (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4459 posts
1555 upvotes
umop wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 4:09 am
Should the TTC be worried about more fare evasion?

What's going to stop people from boarding at the rear doors and not tapping?

I think there are over a thousand vehicles in service during rush hour and probably less than 50 fare inspectors (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Yes. What also happens is that others see what is happening and then they just follow what they see.

Then you understand how people can afford a daily coffee every morning - skip paying the transit fare.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4459 posts
1555 upvotes
And the $6 fee should be hidden to users.

Instead of paying whatever they do to manufacture tokens they should allocate the money to paying PRESTO.

But like many things in Toronto, people pay without much complaining, so fees keep going up and up.

Soon, you will have to pay to leave your house and another fee when you go back in. Basement dwellers rejoice!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4323 posts
1787 upvotes
Mississauga
flyingnurse wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 11:49 pm
I hate Presto too, especially their transaction history report because it can be a little confusing to understand. Also, I was charged $2 and something cents for missing my tap off of the train even though that was the last stop of the train. Called up GO and they said its a "missed tap" charge.
You're blaming GO for your own screw up? lulz

I got my Presto card for free when GO introduced it to their system several years ago. One thing I didn't like is since they dropped their old fare system, we monthly pass holders could no longer take a guest traveller for free on weekends.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6757 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
flyingnurse wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 11:49 pm

Bull*****.
It's not bull**** at all, how does GO/Presto know when you got off the train? When you tap on at Union you can ride ANY line either to the first stop or the last stop.

When you don't have a default set you tap when you get on and you tap when you get off.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1053 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
When I was in London, England it was a similar process. You had to tap on and tap off with the Oyster card. And the Oyster card cost was 5 pounds but it was a refundable 5 pounds. When/if you returned the card you got the 5 pounds back.