• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 7:39 pm
Nov 4, 2011
472 posts
286 upvotes
YYZ
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 8:05 pm
Update: I finally saw the TTC charges, a week after the first trip and a day after yesterday's trip. But only $1.50 for each day. So I guess my return trip to Union was within the allowable transfer period. Overall, a very good deal. But why does it take a week to deduct a TTC fare?
They deduct the money right away but the transaction doesn't post for a while. During a period when I was connecting through the TTC to get to the GO Train, my balance was off by a significant amount but the TTC rides weren't listed online.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7931 posts
3788 upvotes
Toronto
i bought a presto card today at the subway station.
big machine... took a second, and used tap on my credit card.
dispensed me a card. looks cool. no idea if it works, or has money on it yet? I'm assuming it should be loaded and good to go... don't even know why i got one, i dont ride the ttc.
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8472 upvotes
GTHA
daivey wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:51 pm
i bought a presto card today at the subway station.
big machine... took a second, and used tap on my credit card.
dispensed me a card. looks cool. no idea if it works, or has money on it yet? I'm assuming it should be loaded and good to go... don't even know why i got one, i dont ride the ttc.
Yes, PRESTO cards bought from these new 'Fare Vending Machines' are already activated and ready to use.

PRESTO DEVICES AND HOW TO USE THEM
http://getpres.to/en/presto-devices-and ... -use-them/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 2:45 pm
Can you register all your family's cards under one web account? or need multiple separate accounts?

Was told the system would take a week in order to register even 1. :facepalm:
What? I have all my family Presto cards (3) registered under one web account in my name. You just have to give each card a separate name or identifier. I did it the next day after buying the cards.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
M_Matt wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:09 pm
I am currently in Presto he-l-l trying to transfer funds from a non-functioning card to a replacement. Apparently it can't be done because the replacement has been registered. Next up is sending in a form to get them to cut me a cheque. I'm flabbergasted by this.
Thank the scammers for that. In the beginning of the Presto rollout, they tried this and other methods of trying to pry cash loose from MX. The biggest one was where they would buy a hundred cards for instance, load on the max for each card, get them to transfer the amount to a new card and then dispute the charges with the credit card company. So then they would try and take the first set of cards in to another station and try to get a refund from them too before the backend server had finished processing transactions.
The new rule is that anything over $50 refund gets investigated and a cheque issued and all disputes with the card company are automatically challenged.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7895 posts
1310 upvotes
Toronto
I'm still trying to locate myself one of the green presto cards (it's easier to quickly locate in my wallet over the black). Does anyone know where I can buy a new one in the downtown area?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
appleb wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 11:46 am
I'm still trying to locate myself one of the green presto cards (it's easier to quickly locate in my wallet over the black). Does anyone know where I can buy a new one in the downtown area?
Nope. They were all withdrawn from circulation as they are found by sellers. The only place that has a remote chance of having them are the smaller stations and agencies. The eggheads at presto decided jet black was better than bright green for reasons....
Red Green
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1872 posts
342 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
hmm so the green is gone now? i still have 2 of them, one is horizontal and the other has the logo vertical, guess these are collector items now
Hi
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1163 posts
60 upvotes
king_george wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 10:38 am
Thank the scammers for that. In the beginning of the Presto rollout, they tried this and other methods of trying to pry cash loose from MX. The biggest one was where they would buy a hundred cards for instance, load on the max for each card, get them to transfer the amount to a new card and then dispute the charges with the credit card company. So then they would try and take the first set of cards in to another station and try to get a refund from them too before the backend server had finished processing transactions.
The new rule is that anything over $50 refund gets investigated and a cheque issued and all disputes with the card company are automatically challenged.

This is why we can't have nice things.
wow. The scammers are always way ahead.
And about over $50 refund. So how much cu they will spend per hour for that investigation. Man this Presto is poorly designed.
Why do Canadians have hard time anything with digital systems? The projects are always over budget, late, poorly implemented and do not work well.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
callernamet wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 7:01 pm
wow. The scammers are always way ahead.
And about over $50 refund. So how much cu they will spend per hour for that investigation. Man this Presto is poorly designed.
Why do Canadians have hard time anything with digital systems? The projects are always over budget, late, poorly implemented and do not work well.
By investigated it means that they will confirm the transaction through the daily usage report data before refunding. A 10 second search does it.

No transaction, no refund.

Scamming Presto has not been successful for years now. Since all disputes are challenged, nothing is automatic anymore.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1163 posts
60 upvotes
Do everyone register their Presto card? I have yet but I never had more than $20 on it. Its been for few months now.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18117 posts
2803 upvotes
GTA West
callernamet wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 11:06 am
Do everyone register their Presto card? I have yet but I never had more than $20 on it. Its been for few months now.
I register mine.
If I lost the card, the $10 remaining on it would not be some huge loss, but I'd be really annoyed.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
callernamet wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 11:06 am
All of mine are registered and so is my daughters card. You never know....
Red Green
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4894 posts
941 upvotes
GTA
king_george wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 4:16 pm
All of mine are registered and so is my daughters card. You never know....
Once under the same web account, can the payment still be separate?

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 4:17 pm
Once under the same web account, can the payment still be separate?

Thanks.
Definitely. You can only make payments to one card at a time. It was set up that way just to prevent problems with people sharing accounts. You will have one admin account with as many cards as you want attached to it, but each card is its own account and maintenance form.

To be clear, if you have 3 cards and want to top them up, its 3 tranactions, one for each card.
Red Green