• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 7:39 pm
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3459 posts
386 upvotes
Scarborough
Loving the presto card. Great way to get around the city, and 2 hour transfer times are amazing. Nowadays I prefer taking public transit, even though I live in Scarborough which is 1hours and 35 mins away from downtown core for me. Sure a car can get me there in 45 minutes but why deal with all the traffic in a car, stressed out because of some jackass who doesn't know how to drive, or some other jackass that cuts the line by using the merging lane. The when I finally get there, pay an extra $20 a day for parking. It's just not worth it to deal with all that to save a grand total of 100 minutes a day in commute, the majority of which I probably would have spent watching Netflix anyways. Something I can just do on the bus. Of course different people have different situations, so getting around in a car can't be avoided.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4894 posts
941 upvotes
GTA
king_george wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 10:25 pm
Definitely. You can only make payments to one card at a time. It was set up that way just to prevent problems with people sharing accounts. You will have one admin account with as many cards as you want attached to it, but each card is its own account and maintenance form.

To be clear, if you have 3 cards and want to top them up, its 3 tranactions, one for each card.
Lessons learned:
1. Presto forbids re-adding cards under separate account; Do not add cards unless you are sure
2. Presto only allows 1 Saved Payment Method required for autoload; all other cards requiring separate payments will need to be done manually. Alternatively, you cannot add 3 cards and have all 3 autoload using 3 separate CC

TLDR, if you need separate payment, add them under separate web account.

Basically, you have to become a Presto expert before you f*ck up everything and wait days to know you did, not unexpected from any city-related service. Even Service Ontario and passport office weren't this bad.

Is Presto part of crown corp? or private?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1872 posts
342 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
why cant u have 3 cards load from the same credit card? why do u have to be this picky
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 4:09 pm
Lessons learned:
1. Presto forbids re-adding cards under separate account; Do not add cards unless you are sure
2. Presto only allows 1 Saved Payment Method required for autoload; all other cards requiring separate payments will need to be done manually. Alternatively, you cannot add 3 cards and have all 3 autoload using 3 separate CC

TLDR, if you need separate payment, add them under separate web account.

Basically, you have to become a Presto expert before you f*ck up everything and wait days to know you did, not unexpected from any city-related service. Even Service Ontario and passport office weren't this bad.

Is Presto part of crown corp? or private?
Presto was a Wynne initiative. Thats all you need to know. It was deveoped and is maintained under contract by Accenture.

But to their credit, they are going to improve the payment process on the web. The site was down last weekend for payment process testing so it may show up soon.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4894 posts
941 upvotes
GTA
king_george wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 7:43 pm
Presto was a Wynne initiative. Thats all you need to know. It was deveoped and is maintained under contract by Accenture.

But to their credit, they are going to improve the payment process on the web. The site was down last weekend for payment process testing so it may show up soon.
Thanks. You've been more helpful than Metrolinx itself.

Btw, Accenture stock looks great.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:35 pm
Thanks. You've been more helpful than Metrolinx itself.

Btw, Accenture stock looks great.
I actually enjoy correcting and such when peope cant understand how Presto works. Especially when the questioner is reasonable and actually listens to my answers without the stupid rants.

I spent about two years helping get the thing going. It was dicey at first, but once they actually started paying attention to our technical concerns things got and are getting smoother. Next project are limited use cards so a tourist can buy that rather than a regular card.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1163 posts
60 upvotes
king_george wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 5:37 pm
I actually enjoy correcting and such when peope cant understand how Presto works. Especially when the questioner is reasonable and actually listens to my answers without the stupid rants.

I spent about two years helping get the thing going. It was dicey at first, but once they actually started paying attention to our technical concerns things got and are getting smoother. Next project are limited use cards so a tourist can buy that rather than a regular card.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Jan 22, 2007
196 posts
49 upvotes
I'm a presto noob and hit override before tapping on and then tapped off. Is their any recourse or do I get charged a redonkulous amount?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
the brother wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 10:18 am
I'm a presto noob and hit override before tapping on and then tapped off. Is their any recourse or do I get charged a redonkulous amount?
Just call the service centre or go to an attendant and explin the issue. Everyone gets one mulligan. After that you will probably get a big no way on a refund request.:lol:

Edit:
Now that i think about it, if you cancelled and then tapped on and off, it may disregard your defaults andctreat this as a standalone trip resulting in an appropriate fare amount. Check your usage online and see what happened.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7406 posts
1209 upvotes
Where can I get a card changed from regular to child in scarborough? The website says SDM can do it, but I am doubting the website. Can anyone confirm?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
EPcjay wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 11:56 am
Where can I get a card changed from regular to child in scarborough? The website says SDM can do it, but I am doubting the website. Can anyone confirm?
Any seller can add or remove endorsements. Just to be on the safe side I'd head for a GO station though. SDM employees are not the brightest knife in the drawer.
Red Green
Jan 22, 2007
196 posts
49 upvotes
king_george wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 12:49 pm
Just call the service centre or go to an attendant and explin the issue. Everyone gets one mulligan. After that you will probably get a big no way on a refund request.:lol:

Edit:
Now that i think about it, if you cancelled and then tapped on and off, it may disregard your defaults andctreat this as a standalone trip resulting in an appropriate fare amount. Check your usage online and see what happened.
Thanks, you were correct. I was indeed charged the appropriate fare amount.
Oct 25, 2001
292 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
The Presto website is abysmal. No confirmation on whether a change to the preauthorized payment was successful, and of course it didn’t take.

Then even if I remove the existing payment method completely and if then add a new one... old one is still charged when it autoloads a week later and onwards.

The override and missed tap off transactions are also not very straightforward when you look at transaction history. It’s almost as if they make it purposefully confusing so you don’t even try to understand it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8721 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Miguel Sánchez wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 4:08 pm
The Presto website is abysmal. No confirmation on whether a change to the preauthorized payment was successful, and of course it didn’t take.

Then even if I remove the existing payment method completely and if then add a new one... old one is still charged when it autoloads a week later and onwards.

The override and missed tap off transactions are also not very straightforward when you look at transaction history. It’s almost as if they make it purposefully confusing so you don’t even try to understand it.
:) You've discovered their purpose in life....

The website isn't abysmal, it's brutally dumb and as intuitive as a rock. You're probably one of thousands who have complained about the autoload settings. Still nothing has been done and it's no surprise to me.
Red Green
Aug 15, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
North York, ON
king_george wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 7:43 pm

Funny how we brag here to be an IT hub but still struggle with this basic transit card when in Japan they have it since 2001
Transit in Toronto is a joke on every level