• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2019 7:42 am
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2859 posts
204 upvotes
arvanbrestol wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 9:56 am
Funny how we brag here to be an IT hub but still struggle with this basic transit card when in Japan they have it since 2001
Transit in Toronto is a joke on every level
From what I read every IT project Canadians have screwed up. Be it e-health or City computer purchase or Dell/HP systems in Ottawa or paycheck system in Ottawa Or Gun registration.
Or take any other project in other provinces. They seem to screw up every time, above budget. I think its Canadian way to screw up government project and enjoy on taxpayers dime.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16406 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Metrolinx’s new Presto iPhone and Android app [will soon be(*)] available.
The Android version of the app disappointingly doesn’t feature the ability to instantly pay by swiping the phone near a Presto machine, though Metrolinx says that functionality is still coming in future versions... Via the new Android app it is possible to load funds and passes instantly to a Presto account by holding the card to the rear of your phone...

The final version of Metrolinx’s new Presto app is set to soon be available on iOS and Android. The app will initially be released to 10,000 iPhone and 10,000 Android users through a limited beta test. You can sign up for the beta test through either the iOS App Store or the Google Play Store.
(*) Actually the beta version is now available. I installed the Android version and it seems to work fine for seeing account balance, transaction history, etc. I tried to add $10 via my Stack MC. That took a long time to process, then ended without any status. Apparently it failed because I got a text from Stack saying that $0.00 had come off my account. Oh well...
veni, vidi, Visa
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2581 posts
561 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
i just got the official presto app too, i will give it a try and see how it works. phew, looks nice already
Hi
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1486 posts
212 upvotes
Markham
Just downloaded the app. Wonder why we can’t tap on or off with this. I wish I could just add my presto card to my apple wallet.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2581 posts
561 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
why would u want to tap on with an app? that's what the card is for, no?
Hi
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16406 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 10:52 am
why would u want to tap on with an app? that's what the card is for, no?
For the same reason people tap with an app when completing purchases at stores. That's what credit cards are for, no?
veni, vidi, Visa
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2581 posts
561 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
well then wait till they offer virtual cards which you can load to your account, right now u have to order a $6 physical presto card to your account and keep it somewhere safe. if they make virtual cards you can add the card to your account without having to pay a $6 fee for the card, maybe they will charge $3 for the v-card? who knows? then most phones need the NFC function for it to work not every phone has nfc, not everyone's rich enough to spend mad coin on a hi end phone with those features like me, im poor so $6 for a card is a hell of a deal instead of $1000 for the latest smart phone just to tap on without reaching for my wallet, ya know what im sayin?
Hi
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16406 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 12:51 pm
ya know what im sayin?
Nope ;)
right now u have to order a $6 physical presto card to your account and keep it somewhere safe
Same with credit cards. Of course there's no $6 fee for the card. But they have all sorts of ways to recover that amount and more (merchant fees, interest,...)

In any case the $6 you pay for the card is easily paid off through fare discounts for using the card rather than paying cash, never mind the convenience of using the card.
then most phones need the NFC function for it to work not every phone has nfc, not everyone's rich enough to spend mad coin on a hi end phone with those features like me, im poor so $6 for a card is a hell of a deal instead of $1000 for the latest smart phone just to tap on without reaching for my wallet, ya know what im sayin?
So in your situation it would seem that a plastic card is the better option.

The NFC tap feature on credit cards and hopefully soon on Presto is an option that people with NFC-enabled phones can use instead of carrying a wallet full of plastic. It's also more secure, especially if your phone is protected with fingerprint or face recognition authentication. AFAIK there are no plan to force people to discontinue using the plastic card.

While it's true that NFC isn't widely available on low-end phones, it's making its way into mid-range phones. There's no longer the need to spend anywhere near $1,000 to get an NFC-enabled phone. (E.g. the Nokia 6.1 sells in Canada for ~$350 and has NFC. It's also available from amazon.com for US$180.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2581 posts
561 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
im not gonna spend $350 for a phone just to get tap and go nfc functionality, are you effin kidding me? no wonder people are so poor and can barely manage their finances in canada they spend large coin on technology when something already exists to get the job done. that's not a need thats a want
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
9196 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville, ON
2K6TSX wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 8:58 pm
Just downloaded the app. Wonder why we can’t tap on or off with this. I wish I could just add my presto card to my apple wallet.
One step at a time. The beta version of this app has to be evaluated before adding on more features to be tested. At least with this app the whiners about the 24 hour delay in loading the card using the Presto website will have a lot less to complain about. :)

But I'm sure there are more things the whiners will complain about.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12118 posts
1804 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 12:51 pm
well then wait till they offer virtual cards which you can load to your account, right now u have to order a $6 physical presto card to your account and keep it somewhere safe. if they make virtual cards you can add the card to your account without having to pay a $6 fee for the card, maybe they will charge $3 for the v-card? who knows? then most phones need the NFC function for it to work not every phone has nfc, not everyone's rich enough to spend mad coin on a hi end phone with those features like me, im poor so $6 for a card is a hell of a deal instead of $1000 for the latest smart phone just to tap on without reaching for my wallet, ya know what im sayin?
It's not just $6. It's $16. $6 is for the damn card. Presto REQUIRES you to add min $10 to the card or you cant buy one. Point blank. They say they dont keep the $10 but just sits there on your account. Pathetic if you purchase a pass all the time and never use the cash. And you cant get the $10 bucks back either.
Last edited by aznnorth on Dec 15th, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12118 posts
1804 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
king_george wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 2:42 pm
One step at a time. The beta version of this app has to be evaluated before adding on more features to be tested. At least with this app the whiners about the 24 hour delay in loading the card using the Presto website will have a lot less to complain about. :)
I dont get the 24hr BS either. It's a very legit complaint. Top transit systems in the world (majority in asia) dont require any lag time at all. So blame the customers when the lame Presto system is inefficient in the first place. There's an article recently where Presto is saying their systems CANT handle an itty bitty extra 500k customers when the metropass ends in 2 weeks. 10-15% of their card readers on streetcars and buses never work properly on a daily basis. lol. Yet top asian transit systems handle multiple millions more every... single... day... in their digital/card pass system. You sound like the typical TTC union/presto dude. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
9196 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville, ON
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 11:27 pm
I dont get the 24hr BS either. It's a very legit complaint. Top transit systems in the world (majority in asia) dont require any lag time at all. So blame the customers when the lame Presto system is inefficient in the first place. There's an article recently where Presto is saying their systems CANT handle an itty bitty extra 500k customers when the metropass ends in 2 weeks. 10-15% of their card readers on streetcars and buses never work properly on a daily basis. lol. Yet top asian transit systems handle multiple millions more every... single... day... in their digital/card pass system. You sound like the typical TTC union/presto dude. *welp*
Ok to put things right here. The value of your pass is stored on the card only. The card can only update from the tappers. The tappers do not connect to the back end servers in real time, but connect at intervals or when the transaction buffer gets too full. When you tap, the amount comes off your card and the transaction updates the back end later. Loads get transferred to the card when a tap is done. That was by design so the system will work quickly and even if the back end service is down. That's why a tap takes a second rather than connecting with the back end and validating like a credit card transaction. That takes way too long and any network outage would mean nothing works. It only checks and deducts from the card balance. The 24 hours is only a guarantee that the load will be available on all tappers but in practice it rarely takes that long.
If someone can figure out a way to get the balance from the back end server to the card without using the tappers and outside of the app, you'll make a fortune from Accenture.

The TTC is a hopeless mess of incompetence so don't expect them to set things right anytime soon.

I know Presto is getting better for Metrolinx and I have nothing to do with the TTC so stop issuing the pathetic insults. You sound like a typical whiner that complains about something you know nothing about as demonstrated above. *whelp*.

I called it. Consider yourself a tiny bit more educated today but I know it won't help.

Btw, how many Asian cities are the same size and density as from Newcastle to Niagara Falls and north to Barrie, Pefferlaw and Cannington? Density makes a huge difference in design and performance.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2581 posts
561 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
what is so complicated with you guys about presto? what is so difficult to simply load the card on the weekend either thu their website, or in person at the go train station, then on monday morning when you go to work simply tap on, tap off, and voila, it works! this is my experience with the presto card. i never had these issues you guys deal with? what exactly do u do to encounter these problems?
Hi