• Jan 20th, 2019 3:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8724 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 8:27 am
what is so complicated with you guys about presto? what is so difficult to simply load the card on the weekend either thu their website, or in person at the go train station, then on monday morning when you go to work simply tap on, tap off, and voila, it works! this is my experience with the presto card. i never had these issues you guys deal with? what exactly do u do to encounter these problems?
You would not believe the volume of calls complaining about missed tap offs. All want their money back because of their own mistake. The current record is one customer demanding money back from a missed tap off 37 times in 3 months.
When I traveled in Europe and England and we bought local fare cards we had to tap on and off too. I remember in Iceland the discount transit card fare was 5000 krona or about 5.50 at the time. Yikes. The cheapest I've ridden was Las Vegas where 5 bucks got you an all day pass.

A small percentage of loads using the website have screwed up and usually all it takes is one phone call but it usually sets off illiterate Twitter rants full of f bombs directed at MX.

It does work but you can't make anything idiot proof because idiots are usually very clever people. :lol: That's why TTC IT workers can keep their jobs I suppose.

Don't forget there are loading machines at a lot of stations too so you don't have to get an attendant to load your card.

Oh and Merry Christmas to all the Presto haters.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14351 posts
6732 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
king_george wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 10:08 am
It does work but you can't make anything idiot proof because idiots are usually very clever people.
One area where Presto could improve is when someone tops up their card via the web. Currently after the transaction is accepted and the credit card account charged, there's no indication that you must still tap the card in order for the top-up to appear. One has to dig around the site to learn this and also that you have 30 days to do it. This may not be a big deal for frequent users. But some of us in the boonies (where all-day GO Train service is now decades into the future...) may only use our Presto cards a few times a year. And we might top up our card more than a month before we next use the card.

I realize there are auto-recharge options that activate top-ups automatically. But as long as one-off top-ups are possible on the website then the full process should be clearer.
I remember in Iceland the discount transit card fare was 5000 krona or about 5.50 at the time.
FWIW a single fare on Straeto is 460ISK or ~CA$5.25. However Iceland is an expensive country (the price of gasoline is also more than twice the price in Canada) and a single fare goes a very long way compared to Canada. Just saying.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8724 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
bylo wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 10:53 am
One area where Presto could improve is when someone tops up their card via the web. Currently after the transaction is accepted and the credit card account charged, there's no indication that you must still tap the card in order for the top-up to appear. One has to dig around the site to learn this and also that you have 30 days to do it. This may not be a big deal for frequent users. But some of us in the boonies (where all-day GO Train service is now decades into the future...) may only use our Presto cards a few times a year. And we might top up our card more than a month before we next use the card.

I realize there are auto-recharge options that activate top-ups automatically. But as long as one-off top-ups are possible on the website then the full process should be clearer.

FWIW a single fare on Straeto is 460ISK or ~CA$5.25. However Iceland is an expensive country (the price of gasoline is also more than twice the price in Canada) and a single fare goes a very long way compared to Canada. Just saying.
That was a large banner about that on the website but someone who thinks they know better had it removed because it did not fit the new branding look. We tried to have a message indicating that appear as a popup but to no avail.

I loved Iceland but the prices of everything, even locally made products was ridiculous. IIRC a medium pizza cost us the equivalent of $36 there and the restaurants, even the fast food type places were outrageous. The buses were nice and clean and whoops I added one too many zeroes to the bus fare. :(

One thing I did learn is not to try and pronounce Icelandic place names. It could easily cause injury. :lol:
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7897 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto
I am a current metropass user that is being forced to move to Presto in January. I got one of those Presto cards during the Scotiabank promo. I created an Presto online account, and linked my card to the account. I see there is a $6 balance on the card.

It says "Registration of your card is in progress.To complete your registration, tap your card against any PRESTO device within 30 days."

I simply want to preload a 12 month pass onto this so I can start using it in January. Isn't tapping at a Presto machine going to make it look like I want to take a trip and use part of that $6 credit?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14351 posts
6732 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
appleb wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 9:57 pm
Isn't tapping at a Presto machine going to make it look like I want to take a trip and use part of that $6 credit?
Nope. Go to a Self-Serve Reload Machines (not a subway stile) at subway stations and GO stops. It's also possible that Fare Vending Machines can do this as well.

One of the options is to check you balance or similar. (I don't recall the specific option name but it will be obvious.) Select that and tap your card. Presto!, the registration is completed.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1872 posts
343 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
you actually tap the yellow machines, they are balance checkers, not the green ones which actually deduct your fare

looks something like this: Image
Hi
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14351 posts
6732 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 9:32 am
you actually tap the yellow machines, they are balance checkers, not the green ones which actually deduct your fare
FWIW the "green machines" can also do balance check and top-up activation. I know because I've done it on them, e.g. the "green machine" at the GO bus stop at WLU in Waterloo earlier in December.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8724 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
bylo wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 6:27 pm
FWIW the "green machines" can also do balance check and top-up activation. I know because I've done it on them, e.g. the "green machine" at the GO bus stop at WLU in Waterloo earlier in December.
Not always. In busy stations the yellows are for activation, balance checks and loads. The greens will always deduct fares whenever tapped.

The instruction card on the machine will explain the functions it provides.
Red Green
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14351 posts
6732 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
king_george wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 9:52 pm
Not always. In busy stations the yellows are for activation, balance checks and loads. The greens will always deduct fares whenever tapped.

The instruction card on the machine will explain the functions it provides.
Thanks for the clarification.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7897 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto
For what it's worth, I was able to activate my card at the tall skinny green Self-Serve Reload machine. I just had to put my card in the left side to check the balance and that's it.

I loaded my card with a 12 month pass with the online website. I'd have to say, the website has a very disjointed and amateur feel to it. It's almost like every screen was done by a different co-op student.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8724 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
appleb wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 10:53 am
For what it's worth, I was able to activate my card at the tall skinny green Self-Serve Reload machine. I just had to put my card in the left side to check the balance and that's it.

I loaded my card with a 12 month pass with the online website. I'd have to say, the website has a very disjointed and amateur feel to it. It's almost like every screen was done by a different co-op student.
Each page was designed by a different team of first year co-OP students. :lol:
Red Green
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14351 posts
6732 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
king_george wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 1:12 pm
Each page was designed by a different team of first year co-OP students. :lol:
That's an insult to both teams and to first-year coop students ;)
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2940 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
I signed for a 12-month metropass through presto. I was trying to check but there doesn't seem an option to change your payment method online? I guess I need to call to change it?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9039 posts
940 upvotes
I will call Presto but wanted to post this too.

I first bought my Presto card over a year ago and had it preloaded when I go below $20 balance. It has worked since.

Now I want to change my credit card for the auto-reload and when I go onto Presto, I have to sign up again to create an account because my email did not work. And now I have to add a payment for reload. How would I have done this before and why does Presto not recognize my first credit card?

Not sure how this system links up.