• Jan 17th, 2019 1:52 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14327 posts
6710 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:04 am
Now I want to change my credit card for the auto-reload and when I go onto Presto, I have to sign up again to create an account because my email did not work. And now I have to add a payment for reload. How would I have done this before and why does Presto not recognize my first credit card?
Have to tried calling the Contact Centre at 1-877-378-6123 for assistance? Perhaps they can change the email address, etc. so you don't have to recreate everything from scratch.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6943 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto
Now that the TTC Monthly Pass has been eliminated and users forced onto Presto, the extent of this program disaster has grown exponentially.

In summary:

1. user experience is terrible
2. customer service is terrible
3, readers don't work
4, system software is terrible

The only thing that appears to be consistent is that the user is almost always blamed and, as a result, is penalised by having to buy a new card, receiving a ticket, or, by being hugely inconvenienced. The TTC should really have thought about this before going ahead with it.
Apr 15, 2014
383 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm glad the monthly pass is being eliminated. From observation, less than 1/2 of the people using my street car tap when they get on. I doubt that many people use monthly passes instead of presto, I think many are just not paying the fare. Eliminating monthly passes means everyone needs to tap on and I think this would discourage people from stealing a free ride because it would be more obvious what they are doing. I remember the one time (in 3 years) where fare inspectors were on my streetcar - there was a mad rush of people going to the presto machines to tap.
Please respond
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1866 posts
341 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
nice, yes lets force everyone to tap, i too suspected people are not paying their fair to get on the ttc or go trains, so with the new requirement, you dont pay, you get a ticket from the ttc police, sounds fair to me
Hi
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14327 posts
6710 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
GoodFellaz wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 11:26 am
nice, yes lets force everyone to tap, i too suspected people are not paying their fair to get on the ttc or go trains, so with the new requirement, you dont pay, you get a ticket from the ttc police, sounds fair to me
A confession. My first use when I got a Presto card (long before they came to TTC) was to take a GO train from Waterloo to Tronno. I expected to find a Tap machine on board as is the case on GO and TTC busses. By the time I determined there weren't any the train had already left. I didn't tap when I got off at Union either, fearing that I'd then get charged for some maximum amount on who knows what GO line. So my ride was free. Not because I tried to cheat but because it wasn't clear how to use the Presto card system.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14327 posts
6710 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PSA: She lost her Presto card, then had to watch as a stranger racked up charges
Dixon... asked a GO employee what to do about her card, which still had $93 loaded on it. The employee advised her to visit the Presto website and report her card lost.

Dixon said she immediately went online and did so, but was surprised to read it could take up to 24 hours for Presto to actually block her lost card and that she would be liable for any charges made to the card in the meantime.

Later that day she checked her account activity online and discovered a lucky but unscrupulous GO rider was using her card, taking a bus in Burlington, and then heading toward Port Credit. Whoever it was quickly spent about $20...

To make matters worse, Dixon had set up Presto’s auto-load function, which automatically adds money from a customer’s credit card or bank account to their Presto card once its balance dips below a pre-set level...

She wanted to cancel the auto-load feature, but in an online help chat Monday evening a Presto representative told her that was impossible as auto-load can only be cancelled before a card is reported lost.
Summary:
1. If you lose your Presto card it takes up to 24 hours after reporting the loss before the card is locked out. During that time anyone who finds the card can use the remaining balance,
2. Worse, if the card is set to auto-load anyone who finds the card can use it even after the original balance runs out since those recharges have immediate effect.

Now unlike something like a credit or debit card it's unlikely that a thief could rack up $100s or more on a Presto card in 24 hours. But someone with time on their hands could get a day of free joy-riding on Presto-enabled transit systems and the GO network before their party ended.

So choose how large a balance you keep on your Presto card carefully and think twice about taking the added risks of enabling auto-load.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Apr 15, 2014
383 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bylo wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 12:50 pm
A confession. My first use when I got a Presto card (long before they came to TTC) was to take a GO train from Waterloo to Tronno. I expected to find a Tap machine on board as is the case on GO and TTC busses. By the time I determined there weren't any the train had already left. I didn't tap when I got off at Union either, fearing that I'd then get charged for some maximum amount on who knows what GO line. So my ride was free. Not because I tried to cheat but because it wasn't clear how to use the Presto card system.
Reported to TTC and police. Expect a call soon.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1257 posts
160 upvotes
Markham, ON
I think TTC is fine. I seen video footage of cameras installed in buses and the quality of the footage is quite high. It is in colour. A lot of people on this forum like to post news report and stuff.

Also some people might be tabbing on with their entire wallet. If you have multiple cards stacked together during your tap, that's another way to check.

There are only that many buses going around each day. It is really the rush hour time that things get a little hectic. If you are a monthly pass subscriber, obviously you don't want to tap.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1272 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
I have a question. You get on the 504 going to Dundas West station, you tap with only 5 minutes remaining of the 2 hour window. You get to the station where the nice friendly inspectors are and you well over the 2 hour window. They make you tap again, does this make you pay again?

Also one question that I have now after typing the first question. If you don't tap on the 504 do the fare inspectors know when you tap again? (there is a balance on the card)
Nov 10, 2013
930 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Asking this for a friend of mine. She asked me this question, but I had no answer.
Basically, she forgot her Presto card at a bar and when she came back some guy was taking a picture of the card (no clue as to what was the intention). It wasn’t stolen by any means, just left at a place and realized it was missing.

Seeing as Presto has history of the trips, is it possible he might have access in real time where she uses the card?
I know this might sound like tinfoil/conspriacy material to some, but just want to help her out. She is bit too paranoid, but there was a reason for her to be like that.
I appreciate all the help regarding this question.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
2907 posts
244 upvotes
If it isn't registered, the information on the back the person can register the card, claim the card is lost and siphon the money to another card.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8718 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
If the card has not been registered, the finder can claim a refund as long as the number is known but as for the picture, no idea at all. Maybe he was going to claim it as lost and try to get a refund after giving it back.

If the card is registered, the finder can use it until it's reported lost. No refund because unless he knows the owner and the password for the cardholders online account, nothing will be refunded.

And no, you can't gain access to anything on the card without an HCR like the fare checkers carry. Or you can be a complete nerd and have a method of decoding the information on the card.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8718 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
No idea about the TTC rules but your Presto card has a history of your taps on it for the last x number of taps. (not sure what that number is)

Only a station attendant or a card updater can give you a balance. Fare inspection HCRs can't do that AFAIK.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
5962 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
Did she get the card back ?
.did she confront the guy?
Aug 15, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
North York, ON
presto is garbage...won't apply right the discounts... calling them is a pain as well not much help,all they know is "will call you in 24 h"
but still we brag about Toronto as IT hub...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Aznkid2000