[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7336 posts
1058 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 7:47 am
You're right, not a single penny but rather 100s of millions of pennies...
Glad to be corrected on this! A previous report I read suggested, IIRC, that there was no payment because the IP belonged to Accenture.

However, I'm disappointed to read (from the same article) that "... The new Accenture system will allow Washington riders to use credit and debit cards, government worker ID cards and mobile phones to use transit ..." WTF? Why can't we have that?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16439 posts
8778 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Jimbobs wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 8:10 pm
However, I'm disappointed to read (from the same article) that "... The new Accenture system will allow Washington riders to use credit and debit cards, government worker ID cards and mobile phones to use transit ..." WTF? Why can't we have that?
I saw that as well. The article is now ~5 years old. I wonder if all that stuff has actually been implemented in DC. (And if so, is Accenture now going to try to sell it back to Metrolinx? :twisted: )
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7336 posts
1058 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 8:28 pm
... And if so, is Accenture now going to try to sell it back to Metrolinx? :twisted: )
Oh, the irony!

But seriously, I am convinced that all our transit agencies are incapable of managing their contractors. We regularly hear reports about missed delivery dates, equipment not meeing specs, cost overruns, etc. There doesn't appear to be any consequences at all.

Presto for the TTC so far provides no additional capability for the majority of customers. It's implementation cost way more than expected, is being delivered way later than promised, has missed numerous targets and has led to a plaque of fare avoidance. What's the point?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2009
1275 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Presto still isn't quite 21st century

How come it takes 4-24hours to update the pass

If I have to go somewhere and they take out money because the pass hasn't been updated, there should be a system in place where as soon as the pass is updated, presto automatically refunds all the funds that have been expended on THE DAY you purchased the monthly pass.

You need to use that half assed excuse they call an app. It updates Then again, the TTC, Presto, Metrolinx, their incompetency is not surprising at all
Spend a ton of money reinventing a 50 year old system, nothing really changes. It doesn't really make sense and it's half assed. your presto balance whenever it feels like it, and it doesn't even show whether or not you actually own any of the monthly passes. I also question the security of this system. I look forward to seeing this shit show develop even further.

It's more complicated than what it should really be.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10368 posts
565 upvotes
Mississauga
bylo wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 8:28 pm
I saw that as well. The article is now ~5 years old. I wonder if all that stuff has actually been implemented in DC. (And if so, is Accenture now going to try to sell it back to Metrolinx? :twisted: )
It doesn't take too much effort to search for the Washington Transit website to find out the card hasn't advanced any further then was in the pipeline dream.

I was using smart cards to pay for bus rides in different states over a decade ago. A decade ago, they were at where the TTC has finally gotten to. But in that decade of time, those transit systems did not advance any further.
Nov 4, 2011
560 posts
337 upvotes
YYZ
Troydabes wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 2:06 pm
What card status? If card is adult, student or senior? Is that what you meant? So, only the fare inspector can see this? Not even the driver?
When concession cards are tapped, all the machines make a different tone. Buses, handheld fare readers, GO Transit machines and TTC fare gates all make a different noise. The GO Transit fare inspectors know right away when a concession card is used, although they won't normally ask if everything looks correct (ie. a younger child, a student with a backpack, a senior, etc).
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
2418 posts
871 upvotes
Big Brother is watching...

Metrolinx continues to share Presto users’ data without requiring warrants

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/0 ... rants.html

Do most of you have your Presto cards registered? I'm still deciding whether to register or not? I'm still unregistered and I didn't like what I read in the above link.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5663 posts
749 upvotes
Scarborough
No registering. We hardly use transit, and that too just ttc when need to go downtown.
Mtx can go eff itself with its useless monkeys who don't know their head from their ass.
that agency is full of incompetent people specially in management.

So much money is being lost DAILY on fare evasion and/or FREE rides because of presto malfunctions.
Hopefully it adds up and shortfalls bloom into big troubles!!
Jan 17, 2009
537 posts
20 upvotes
i bought the monthly TTC pass on the machine but it didn't give me a receipt.. is there any way to get one?
Nov 4, 2011
560 posts
337 upvotes
YYZ
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 11:45 pm
Do most of you have your Presto cards registered? I'm still deciding whether to register or not? I'm still unregistered and I didn't like what I read in the above link.
I registered it back in the era of the Transit Usage Reports which you needed to be registered. Since it's not necessary anymore, I probably wouldn't register it, although having the replacement option if loss occurs is nice.

To be honest if I wanted to be untraceable I would just use a different Presto card than what I normally use / pay cash and not carry my cell phone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
9211 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville, ON
That article has one glaring error. You do not have to give a credit card number when registering a card.

When you set up auto load, you're actually setting it up using Moneris web site servers. Presto stores an account token for billing generated by the customer when creating an account with Moneris so they have zero card information in the database. PCI rules and all that.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
2418 posts
871 upvotes
The minimum load may be $10 online when you are a registered user. However, if you are unregistered like myself and have to buy fares in person. You can definitely load $5 in cash if you are using the vending machines at the TTC subway stations. I had a $4 balance and I just loaded $5 in cash and now my balance is $9. That is exactly 3 TTC fares.

Haven't a clue what the minimum load is at Shoppers Drug Mart?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5663 posts
749 upvotes
Scarborough
I dunno but 10 bucks hardly lasts 2 days, u gotta load bigger amounts or a PASS each month and be done with it.

Does GO have ability to load monthly passes like ttc metropass?
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2864 posts
206 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:29 am
I dunno but 10 bucks hardly lasts 2 days, u gotta load bigger amounts or a PASS each month and be done with it.

Does GO have ability to load monthly passes like ttc metropass?
For regular users but its good for many. Many offices started home from work and now they dont have to buy pass. Its good for them because only once they have to go to office.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16439 posts
8778 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Another Presto fail: Late GO trains cost commuter extra Presto tap off charges

Basically if your SloGO train is late enough the system thinks you forgot to tap off, so when you do tap off the system thinks you're tapping on for a new ride. This results in double charges, failure to get TTC discounts. Then, if you notice this, and you call in to Presto to get this mess straightened out they blame it all on you. So you have to call the media.

Presto's solution?
1. Set a stop watch when you tap on.
2. If your train is so late that more than 3 hours have transpired then don't tap off.
3. Then check your statement to see if you've been overcharged.
4. If you have, call in to Presto.
5. If they blame it on you then call the CBC.
6. Rinse and repeat. Frequently in the case of Kitchener SloGO.
veni, vidi, Visa