Preventing wheel from sticking on hub

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2020 11:33 am
Tags:
Jul 3, 2017
232 posts
354 upvotes
YYC
Paid $12 for nickle anti-seize about 8 years ago. Been putting a thin layer on our four cars with each seasonal wheel/tire changes and still have 2/3 left. One purchase would probably last good 20 years for me. Much better than motor oil, IMO.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
283 upvotes
Mississauga
if it's stuck you can kick it off, 12 pound sledge hammer and hit the inside wall of the tire (dont hit the wheel...lol). smear anti seize rotor hat, or dont use anything at all
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
What everyone else said, anti-seize or grease/oil. I went the cheapo route and used whatever random grease I had (green), cleaned the surfaces with a wire brush and smeared a VERY thin layer of grease on the mating surfaces, and also the end nut on the center caps. No problem taking the wheels off.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
When that happens, I just finger tighten the lug nuts. No problem with wheel sticking to the hub.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Copper or Graphite anti-seize and a stiff kick.
--
I like detailing cars!
Nov 13, 2008
392 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener
vtec300 wrote: Paid $12 for nickle anti-seize about 8 years ago. Been putting a thin layer on our four cars with each seasonal wheel/tire changes and still have 2/3 left. One purchase would probably last good 20 years for me. Much better than motor oil, IMO.
This exactly. I bought one small container 5+ years ago and change multiple cars over seasonally and still have tons left.
Oct 29, 2009
681 posts
356 upvotes
jheath wrote: This exactly. I bought one small container 5+ years ago and change multiple cars over seasonally and still have tons left.
Same. A container of anti-seize lasts forever. Never had a problem removing wheels in decades of DIY seasonal change-overs.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
Another vote for anti-seize at Crappy Tire. My wife had a car that the rims would stick to the hubs like glue. The anti-seize did the trick.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/perm ... 1404p.html

You can also buy it in single use application really cheaply. The stuff will last for several seasons too once applied.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/perm ... 3728p.html
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
If you aren't a mechanic you will never go through an entire $12 bottle of anti seize in your life time, lol. Well worth the $12.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
The problem with motor oil is that it can get washed off over time in the car wash because it's so thin. Same for things like vaseline which tends to melt easily in the summer heat and run out. People used to use vaseline on battery terminals (maybe they still do) and it's the worst thing you can put in the engine compartment because of the heat.
Nov 17, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
I use Amsoil NLGI #2 but any NLGI #2 grease will work well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7097 upvotes
West GTEH!
When everyone says a "thin layer/film" of the anti-seize stuff, do you mean a small dime-size? Quarter-size? Loonie size? for 1 hub.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
I put some wax on it this year. Will see how the rims come off in spring.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Webhead wrote: When everyone says a "thin layer/film" of the anti-seize stuff, do you mean a small dime-size? Quarter-size? Loonie size? for 1 hub.
Just enough to cover the areas that touch. You really only want it on the hub/bore that the wheel sits on, not the whole face of the hub.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Have been wondering why my Nissan alloys appear to be immune to this problem. The hub certainly gets rusty but the mating surface of the O.E. alloys don't.

That part of the inner wheel appears to be chrome plated and has a ribbed pattern.

If that is by design to combat this problem then it is something other automakers should consider. Maybe some others do?

With a raised vehicle, kicking wheels or taking a hammer to them must be a bit of a safety risk for a gung-ho amateur mechanic.

As concluded in previous threads, lowering the tire to the ground with the lug nuts/bolts loosened is the easier and safer way for those that don't use antiseize.

I recall BMW wheels are among the worst for sticking, whatever the climate. Possibly because they have a wider hub surface that the wheel goes onto?
Nov 17, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
Webhead wrote: When everyone says a "thin layer/film" of the anti-seize stuff, do you mean a small dime-size? Quarter-size? Loonie size? for 1 hub.
I smoother the bugger in between studs/lug holes. Kind of like you are applying RTV.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Never had a problem with this except for an '04 Corolla with OEM aluminium wheels,
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
The problem is that some car makers, Audi/VW I'm looking at you, use a hub material that corrodes against aluminum rims. They're moronic for doing that but in their defense their techs are supposed to apply some fancy and expensive VAG only anti seize (but they don't because dealerships are pricks).

Stick to Nickel anti seize. It's the most expensive out of the 3 materials used but it is inherently inert and doesn't react to any metal used on a car.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 2537p.html

Every time I have to take off my rims I apply some around the hub. it's $20, sure, but it'll last a lifetime. Avoid the cheaper anti seizes. Some react against aluminum, but if seriously price conscious, it's better than nothing or you'll resort to anger and a hammer to get off your rims.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.