Off Topic Archive

Locked: Previous Home Owner Mail

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2010 11:52 pm
Oct 29, 2009
263 posts

Previous Home Owner Mail

My parent's moved into a new place about a year ago. Since then, any mail that they received that belonged to the previous owner, they returned to Canada Post and marked "Moved" on the letters.

This is reasonable right?

The reason I ask is because out of the blue, the old owner came by and asked if any letters arrived - obviously, my parents mentioned that any letters that came were simply returned back to Canada Post.

In my opinion, if it was like a month or two after the move, thats one thing, but after all this time, I don't think it's any home owner's responsiblity to hold on to mail for a previous owner.

What's right here?
32 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3237 posts
I would probably have done what your parents do.
In our case, we know the son of the former owner, so we just drop it off at his place, but normally I would just stick it back in the mail.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
The original owner should have signed up for Canada Post mail forwarding if he was that concerned about his mail.

I've been in the same place for a little over 3 years and I still get Christmas letters and cards addressed to previous tenants. You would think if personal mail was that important you would keep people up to date when you move.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
Richmond Hill
I am still getting the previous owner's mail after 13 years. "Moved" and I drop it in the mailbox is sufficient as far as I am concerned.
Don't argue with THEM, get EVEN!! ;) :D

RFD's member NewEgg experience
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4773 posts
Crossed out the mailing address and wrote down Return to Sender.

If not, CP will just keep mailing back to the said address.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7775 posts
We have been in our house for 9 years now, and to this day I still get some mail from the old owner.

I've always crossed it out and put down "Moved, return to sender".
Jan 25, 2010
48 posts
After about 6 months of returning mail I write on it "This is the final one that will be returned" and from then on they go into the garbage. Most cases they stop.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
There was this one time when my mom got so fed up with the previous owners' letters, she wrote her own letter on the face of the envelope. It went something like this... "To Canada Post, don't realize why all these letters addressed to this person are sent back as return to sender? Open your eyes, do your job, and stop sending us letters addressed to [previous owner]."

Needless to say, we still get letters for them.
Oct 29, 2009
263 posts
I know my parents have in fact written moved and return to sender but the stupid letters keep coming back.

The last thing I want my parents to have to deal with is these old owners pretending to still use the adderss for whatever reason - maybe scams or something.

I've instructed my parents to clearing mark "MOVED, RETURN TO SENDER" and return it back to be safe.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5839 posts
boyoflondon wrote:
Sep 14th, 2010 1:47 pm
We have been in our house for 9 years now, and to this day I still get some mail from the old owner.

I've always crossed it out and put down "Moved, return to sender".

It doesn't matter how many times your write that, CP will still deliver it to the wrong address. The idea is that the sender will get it returned, and follow up to correct the address, or at least stop sending it there.

We got lots of mail from the previous tenant, but since we send everything back right away, it's pretty much stopped (taken about 2 years, and still not completely)..

Agreed too, the previous owner has the responsibility to set up mail forwarding. The next owner just has the responsibility to not open someone else's mail.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1784 posts
For about the first year in our current house we had TONS of P.O mail. We diligently wrote "Moved" on each piece which commonly outnumbered our own. After that one year I either tossed it, threw it in the burn pile or opened it. It was entirely junk mail by that time anyways. Lazy previous owners.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
Writing "moved" on it is sufficient, unless the previous occupant has made arrangements with you.
Esp after a year.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1164 posts
i read that the WTC still get hundreds of letters to this day !! previous years was used to be thousands a day. talk about living under a rock
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6265 posts
I write no such person, return to sender ... and records slowly get update...
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3099 posts
The previous owner of our place was a Canada Post employee himself so I found it very odd to be receiving mail from Canada Post a good three years after we kept sending it back saying "moved". After a number of years writing moved on it all and reposting; anything addressed to them goes in the trash.
× < >