Home & Garden

Previous owner took fireplace mantel

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 9:46 pm
Jul 6, 2012
5 posts
2 upvotes

Previous owner took fireplace mantel

I just bought a house and when I came to visit the place before closing, I saw the previous owner took the glass shelf on top of the fireplace. My realtor contacted the seller's realtor and the seller is saying the shelf was a birthday gift and had sentimental value.

I'm quite annoyed as taking the stone things that held the shelves left some ugly holes in the walls. They are arguing it is a decorative fixture and is not a part of the house but I don't see it that way. The closing is coming soon and I took days off already and scheduled movers so I really don't want to delay the closing for something like this and the seller also moved to Vancouver already so there's that to consider too.

Anyway, any suggestions for a cheap way to cover up the holes? Regular free floating mantels can't cover the holes and I want to avoid repainting if possible.

Image is from the listing, I was too pissed to think of taking a picture of the bare wall.
Images
  • image.png
37 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya that “mantel” is a decor item
And not a true fireplace surround with mantel
By definition = https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireplace_mantel

Note ... how the surround for the fireplace is the modern stand alone type a good 6 or so inches lower on the wall

A true fireplace mantel ties into the whole surrounding area ... be it the fire box, facing, or fireplace finish (stone wall, brick etc)
Like this
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Royalton-A ... XDVR1PDOVA
Which encompasses the fireplace facing / surround
Or even this
https://www.amazon.ca/Pearl-Mantels-412 ... B002OSX2QK
Cuz the fireplace wall brick extends behind it

Otherwise it’s not a mantel
It’s a shelf
Lol, impersonating ... compensating for the fact there is no mantel in the design

My best advice
Sounds like you like the original set up
So just repeat it yourself
A shatterproof piece of glass isn’t crazy expensive
Or do any other sort of shelf

If the brackets are gone too
It’s an easy enough fix ... yours or theirs
Some sparkle, sanding, primer & paint

Honestly, I would not argue over this one
Cuz I truly think you’ll lose
It’s a shelf. Period
Last edited by PointsHubby on Aug 13th, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1161 posts
518 upvotes
HRM
If it was attached to the wall it was to have been left behind.
If they wanted to keep it they should have listed it as an "Exclusion" in your PSA.
At the minimum, they should have repaired the wall when taking off the grey corbels.
I would tell your realtor to have the walls repaired and repainted at their expense if they are not prepared to fight for you.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
westcoastyvr wrote: If it was attached to the wall it was to have been left behind.
If they wanted to keep it they should have listed it as an "Exclusion" in your PSA.
At the minimum, they should have repaired the wall when taking off the grey corbels.
I would tell your realtor to have the walls repaired and repainted at their expense if they are not prepared to fight for you.
Disagree

Wall Shelves (not built ins) are routinely taken by Sellers when they move.

(Question ... do you leave pictures behind too, just because they are attached to the wall ? No, cuz it’s understood they are a decor item)

In fact, the Seller can take the blinds & curtain rods if they wish ... and they too are attached to the walls ... but they are usually left behind, so end up in the Listing under inclusions.

If not on the inclusion list, then one should not assume a decor item will be left for the Buyer

Agree though ... the Buyer has every right to demand that the holes left be repaired if they are considerable in size

In this case, though it might be more hassle than it’s worth ... either suck it up, or ask for like $ 25 to $ 50 compensation for having to repair & repaint that one wall
Jul 6, 2012
5 posts
2 upvotes
I know it's not worth the hassle. Just annoyed and amused when I inspected the property. So other than repainting, what are my other options? I can redo what they did but I don't know where to find a similar base for the glass shelf.

I just want a cheap solution that will not make the area look like an eyesore as I have other higher priority projects in mind.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
erickmiranda wrote: I know it's not worth the hassle. Just annoyed and amused when I inspected the property. So other than repainting, what are my other options? I can redo what they did but I don't know where to find a similar base for the glass shelf.

I just want a cheap solution that will not make the area look like an eyesore as I have other higher priority projects in mind.
Well ya pretty much got to fix the holes left no matter what

Then you can leave it plain and modern as the designer / builder intended, or put up your own shelf in an attempt to make it look more like a traditional fireplace

Or you could do a treatment of some sort to make it a feature wall...
Contrasting paint colour, wall paper ... or other surface material
Honestly lots of options
Depends a lot on what your preferred decor style is

The seller obviously was into a sort of European Classical look
(A very distinct ... not for everyone style ... in fact I think most Buyers would want to rip out those corbels & shelf if they had been left behind)
And they were no doubt trying to find a way to make the modern otherwise out of place fireplace fit that style
Their solution was the carved corbels (Traditional) and a glass shelf (Modern)
Thereby incorporating a visual compromise that worked together between styles bridging an otherwise out of sync style dilemma ... heck of a lot cheaper than his having to buy a marble fireplace surround to bring the whole room up to the rest of his decorating style
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
763 upvotes
Ontario
Looks really kitschy to me anyways. You can do better.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2108 posts
300 upvotes
Mississauga
my understanding when I advise my family and friends....

if you can take it off the wall without tools (like a photo/art), it's good to go...

if you require a screw driver/allan key or any sort of tool....then that means it is 'attached' to the house and SHOULDN"T be taken.

now with that being said, I don't anybody that leaves their tv all mount behind...everybody takes it with them :)
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
It's not a mantel, more like a shelf. You should be asking when you looked to buy the house. You were assuming. Some sellers take their appliances, drapes, blinds. If the items were mentioned to include, it would specified in the sale ad, otherwise buyers have to ask. When I was selling my condo, potential buyer asked if I was including my nice bath room shelf. I said no.

You can go to buy mantel and putting on after measuring the dimensions. I bought mine from here, I paid handyman to put it on.
http://centralfairbank.com/
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
pardnme wrote: my understanding when I advise my family and friends....

if you can take it off the wall without tools (like a photo/art), it's good to go...

if you require a screw driver/allan key or any sort of tool....then that means it is 'attached' to the house and SHOULDN"T be taken.

now with that being said, I don't anybody that leaves their tv all mount behind...everybody takes it with them :)
My buddies mom bought a model home once and they took the mirrors out of the bathrooms. They were not listed as inclusions, but some of the other decor was. She was pissed.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Disagree

Wall Shelves (not built ins) are routinely taken by Sellers when they move.

(Question ... do you leave pictures behind too, just because they are attached to the wall ? No, cuz it’s understood they are a decor item)

In fact, the Seller can take the blinds & curtain rods if they wish ... and they too are attached to the walls ... but they are usually left behind, so end up in the Listing under inclusions.

If not on the inclusion list, then one should not assume a decor item will be left for the Buyer

Agree though ... the Buyer has every right to demand that the holes left be repaired if they are considerable in size

In this case, though it might be more hassle than it’s worth ... either suck it up, or ask for like $ 25 to $ 50 compensation for having to repair & repaint that one wall
You are inccorect. If there is a clause in the contract that says fixtures are included, anything attached to the wall has to stay. Pictures are not included in that because they are not "fixed" to the wall. The nail or hanging clip or whatever it's resting on is the fixture. The picture or painting itself is not.

If it requires a tool to remove it, it is a fixture and technically has to stay. Although there is a fair bit of grey area in what is a chattel vs a fixture and not everyone will agree
Last edited by HghSsociety on Aug 14th, 2019 11:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2108 posts
300 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote: My buddies mom bought a model home once and they took the mirrors out of the bathrooms. They were not listed as inclusions, but some of the other decor was. She was pissed.
my sister had that issue....the washrooms were renovated and had beautiful mirrors that were 'installed'

when they took possession all the mirrors were gone...but the reality was...those mirrors were hanging like artwork...on a nail...so the owner just lifted them off the wall and took them....couldn't do anything about it
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14470 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
The reality is the seller made a bet that you wouldn’t go after them for something so HIDEOUS.

I’d spend the energy working to fix and update what looks to be a completely out of date house and not fighting a battle “just because”.

Go outside yell at the sky and get down to work.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I honestly think their mantle was pretty tacky looking (as was the rest of their decor). I would expect them to fill in the holes they left in the wall though.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
pardnme wrote: my sister had that issue....the washrooms were renovated and had beautiful mirrors that were 'installed'

when they took possession all the mirrors were gone...but the reality was...those mirrors were hanging like artwork...on a nail...so the owner just lifted them off the wall and took them....couldn't do anything about it
The homebuilder argued that the mirrors (also framed in this case) were a part of the staging and since the home wasn’t sold yet, any “decor” not listed in the contract was subject to removal. It was a little different because it was a builder, but still nothing you could do about it really.

I was SUPER PISSED at the previous owners of our place. I had a very tight schedule of possession, renovations (done by me) and some contractors coming in and instead my first full day in the house was spent hauling their crap to the dump. The one thing they left I wanted to keep (a mountain bike) my wife assumed was also to go so she put at the road without me knowing and it was gone. I spent $50 on dump fees. The minimum at the time was $5, so it was a lot of crap. I think 2 trips in my 4x8 trailer, not including the stuff that went to the road that was picked up by others.

I spoke to my realtor and even with the receipts, she said there wasnt much to be done without involving lawyers.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Chickinvic wrote: I honestly think their mantle was pretty tacky looking (as was the rest of their decor). I would expect them to fill in the holes they left in the wall though.
I would agree and disagree I guess.... how many holes are in walls in general when you move in? If we ever leave our place, I’ll be 2 days properly filling the holes for my TV mount. Its a huge plate, and I know when I drove in the 4 lag screws I compressed the plate into the drywall so it would be a hell of a mess to try and fix. Plus, as a window contractor I’ve seen enough DIWHY that I dont trust others to fill holes to be honest.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Gives you an opportunity to change the wall colours
Feb 5, 2019
219 posts
206 upvotes
You can do better. Just forget about those shelves and move on. Not worth the troubles really.
Jul 6, 2012
5 posts
2 upvotes
Yeah just finished the closing. Asked my lawyer about it, said seller could take the glass shelf but should have left the stone corbels as it was attached to the house.

Said she could escrow $500 of the funds for repairs later but could cause delays and recommended just moving on.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Jerico wrote: I would agree and disagree I guess.... how many holes are in walls in general when you move in? If we ever leave our place, I’ll be 2 days properly filling the holes for my TV mount. Its a huge plate, and I know when I drove in the 4 lag screws I compressed the plate into the drywall so it would be a hell of a mess to try and fix. Plus, as a window contractor I’ve seen enough DIWHY that I dont trust others to fill holes to be honest.
We always nicely fill any holes left in walls when we leave a place. The last people in our current house left the place a dump and ripped things off the walls (ripped drywall skin, etc) all over. Pissed me off. I would be pissed off with big holes (which I'm guessing is what these people left).