Price matching at self checkout

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2018 9:51 am
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes

Price matching at self checkout

Don’t do it please. Go to a regular checkout line instead of holding up what’s supposed to be the fast way to get out of the store.

I was at Walmart today and 8 of the 10 checkouts were blinking waiting for the attendant while she was preoccupied dealing with some lady’s PMs.

Alternatively stores shouldn’t allow this at self checkout

That is all. Thank you for your cooperation and Happy Halloween
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
Red_Army wrote: Don’t do it please. Go to a regular checkout line instead of holding up what’s supposed to be the fast way to get out of the store.

I was at Walmart today and 8 of the 10 checkouts were blinking waiting for the attendant while she was preoccupied dealing with some lady’s PMs.

I`m not really sure why you would attempt a price match at a self checkout. Its not rocket science, price match at a cashier not self service.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
My walmart is nearly entirely all self-checkout. yep i'm going to price match there. sorry not sorry.
Be kind and civil with one another
Mar 17, 2009
203 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
I could be 100% wrong, but I do recall seeing in my local RCSS signs saying you could not price match at a self-checkout.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Red_Army wrote: Don’t do it please. Go to a regular checkout line instead of holding up what’s supposed to be the fast way to get out of the store.

Don’t / Won’t Shop at Walmart

But I am with you... Price Matching requires a Cashier. So why would anyone go to self check out that clearly doesn’t have one ?

It’s inconsiderate of others time.

Self Checkout is annoying enough when the machines don’t function properly / get jammed up
*Please put the item in the bag... please put the item in the bag ... please wait for an Attendant*

They are meant for quick processing, a few items... not time suckers
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2016
1232 posts
693 upvotes

I 100% totally disagree with you. It's more considerate to price match at self-checkout. When price matching at a regular cash, you're holding up the whole line. When price matching at self-checkout, there's always other checkouts for the ones waiting in line.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
PointsHubby wrote: Don’t / Won’t Shop at Walmart

But I am with you... Price Matching requires a Cashier. So why would anyone go to self check out that clearly doesn’t have one ?

It’s inconsiderate of others time.

Self Checkout is annoying enough when the machines don’t function properly / get jammed up
*Please put the item in the bag... please put the item in the bag ... please wait for an Attendant*

They are meant for quick processing, a few items... not time suckers
Free bags at Self checkout!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
emilio911 wrote: I 100% totally disagree with you. It's more considerate to price match at self-checkout. When price matching at a regular cash, you're holding up the whole line. When price matching at self-checkout, there's always other checkouts for the ones waiting in line.
And I disagree with you. At a checkout there’s 1 attendant for the 1 register

At the self checkout there’s only 1 attendant for all of the registers. As in my case, 8 people were waiting for the attendant to continue with their transaction

As other have said price matching requires a cashier. That right there takes the “self” out of self checkout
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: And I disagree with you. At a checkout there’s 1 attendant for the 1 register

At the self checkout there’s only 1 attendant for all of the registers. As in my case, 8 people were waiting for the attendant to continue with their transaction

As other have said price matching requires a cashier. That right there takes the “self” out of self checkout
I always price match at the self-checkout at my local Walmart.... There's even a price match button on the screen so I don't understand where you're coming from when you say price matching requires a cashier.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Here is a simple solution for OP. If you don't like price matching, don't shop at Walmart.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: But I am with you... Price Matching requires a Cashier. So why would anyone go to self check out that clearly doesn’t have one ?
[...]
[...]
Price matching at Walmart no longer requires a cashier. All of the self checkouts have a price match button now and I haven't had seen any congestion at my location yet.

The machines work great now... Either they have tweaked with them or maybe I just got used to them.. haven't had to call for an attendant (other than for PM) since the first couple times. I self-checkout and price match at least 2 or 3 times a week.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Eventually there will be only self-checkout so you'll have no choice but to price match at the self-checkout...
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Price matching at Walmart no longer requires a cashier. All of the self checkouts have a price match button now and I haven't had seen any congestion at my location yet.

The machines work great now... Either they have tweaked with them or maybe I just got used to them.. haven't had to call for an attendant (other than for PM) since the first couple times. I self-checkout and price match at least 2 or 3 times a week.
Interesting
How is the price verified?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Here is a simple solution for OP. If you don't like price matching, don't shop at Walmart.
I didn’t say I don’t like price matching. I just don’t appreciate the people who know they will be matching and still use the self checkout knowing they will be needing the attendant.

Anyway waiting to hear how the machine verifies you price match, and whether or not this even works as it’s supoosed.
Half the time simply scanning items causes error, I can’t imagine the machine trying to verify a price on your smart phone functioning properly
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Eventually there will be only self-checkout so you'll have no choice but to price match at the self-checkout...
Eventually there will be flying cars as well. Might as well stop driving and be ahead of the curve lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Interesting
How is the price verified?
Oh. It still requires an attendant... The button just calls them over :). I mean no need to go to an actual cashier anymore.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Oh. It still requires an attendant... The button just calls them over :). I mean no need to go to an actual cashier anymore.
Still takes the “self” out of it IMO and further proves my point. Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Eventually there will be flying cars as well. Might as well stop driving and be ahead of the curve lol
Yes, but it feels like they are moving rather quickly towards reducing/eliminating cashiers.

My location has their employees triaging the cashier lines and actively directing people in longer lines to the self-checkouts. I imagine a lot of them are wanting to PM
Last edited by KanataKG on Nov 1st, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Still takes the “self” out of it IMO and further proves my point. Thank you
Yes, but it seems like what the employees/store wants us to do... I seem to get more scrutiny / attitude at an actual cashier.

When I PM at self-checkout, they either barely look at the flyer or just ask what the price is verbally without looking at all, probably because they have other registers to attend to lol
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Yes, but it seems like what the employees/store wants us to do... I seem to get more scrutiny / attitude at an actual cashier.

When I PM at self-checkout, they either barely look at the flyer or just ask what the price is verbally without looking at all, probably because they have other registers to attend to lol
Very valid points on both sides. When everything runs as it should it’s all unicorns and rainbows. When things run by the wayside (which is as often as it running smoothly ) it can create chaos

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)