Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 6, 2007
995 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Price matching a Sofa?

I recently purchased a Palliser sectional from the Chesterfield Shop for ~2400 (with "no tax" + delivery included).

I've been looking at other websites and I have a feeling I paid too much for this make/model. For instance, www.sofasandsectionals.com (a US website) lets me custom-build the sofa exactly as I chose it in the store. Final price with shipping + tax comes out to 1950 USD.

So I notice Chesterfield Shop does price match within 30 days of purchase, however local dealers don't post their prices on their website.

How do I go about this? Should I just contact Chesterfield Shop and tell them I've done some research and their price seems high? I can give them competitor's names/phone numbers but I don't think competitors are going to let me walk out with an exact quote in my hand - and i'm not sure chesterfield shop would be willing to go around calling their competitors to confirm their prices (I dont think either of them would want to do this?)

Anyone have any experience with this?
8 replies
Mar 2, 2013
364 posts
25 upvotes
Langley
They won't price match US prices..and with canadian dollars it comes to 2090..you also have to figure in import taxes..
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3890 posts
649 upvotes
Aurora
According to my calculations it is closer to $2200 when the exchange is accounted for. Add in forex fees, shipping, taxes (even just HST) and your looking at a price a lot higher than $2400. Looks like you got a pretty good deal after all.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2352 posts
1299 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
maytricks wrote:
Mar 8th, 2014 5:21 pm
How do I go about this? Should I just contact Chesterfield Shop and tell them I've done some research and their price seems high?
You're supposed to do this research and make the kind of statement before you sign the contract or hand over the money.

Ordering in the USA would be subject to taxes and/or duties when it's imported, so assuming a 10% exchange rate, we're looking at $2145, add on to that 12% tax and you're looking at close to $2400 anyway.

You really need to get a better calculator. :-)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Oct 6, 2007
995 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ALLCAPS wrote:
Mar 8th, 2014 11:04 pm
You're supposed to do this research and make the kind of statement before you sign the contract or hand over the money.
30 day price match guarantee exists for a reason.
I've only paid for half the sectional, the rest is paid upon delivery.
I emailed a small local retailer and they quoted the same sectional as "1699 and up."

I only used the US website as an example to show base price of fully customized unit (rough #). No Canadian website shows the same information.

After thinking about it, I'm not sure why I'm asking here... It would make more sense to just call them and talk about it. Thanks anyway
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2352 posts
1299 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
maytricks wrote:
Mar 9th, 2014 4:03 am
30 day price match guarantee exists for a reason.
Yes…if the price drops, or a retailer advertises a lower price. But to say "I've done some research and your price seems high"? That that sort of research should be done before buying because not everything is eligible for price adjustment.
I only used the US website as an example to show base price of fully customized unit (rough #). No Canadian website shows the same information.
Then you're going to have a tough time getting a price match if you've got nothing you can really provide as a basis for comparison.
After thinking about it, I'm not sure why I'm asking here... It would make more sense to just call them and talk about it.
Yay! Someone finally gets the concept. :-)

All the best with your price guarantee. Hopefully you can save some dollars.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2633 posts
291 upvotes
Vancouver
You might have more luck if you can find your exact same Palliser sectional for a lower price. It would be easy for the company to deny your price matching request because the item you're trying to compare to is a no-name custom sectional.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1118 posts
103 upvotes
litebrite wrote:
Mar 10th, 2014 12:50 am
You might have more luck if you can find your exact same Palliser sectional for a lower price.
+1 and good luck with that. Furniture is much like matresses.. Names and model numbers for identical products vary from store to store, which makes comparison shopping and price matching almost impossible.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2450 posts
544 upvotes
Lethbridge
Did you special order this unit (you did say custom built in your original post…)? I’m sure you have little recourse then, since in my experience, everything from Palliser is pretty much made to order (last time I priced out a unit from them, there were literally hundreds of options for each sofa/sectional: size configurations, leather type, colour.

Even if this shop requisitioned “X” amount of a particular style in a specific colour, layout & cover option so they were “stock” & even if they just happened to match another retailer with a lower price EXACTLY, it’s still not the same as saying Walmart has this identical pre-packaged item for less than Superstore.