Sports & Recreation

Price for MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, Boxing gyms - Toronto/Mississauga

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2011 2:46 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 21, 2011
6 posts
MISSISSAUGA

Price for MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, Boxing gyms - Toronto/Mississauga

Just trying to find out the prices for some gyms in Mississauga/Downtown.

I'm mainly looking Bjj, Judo, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Boxing. A combination of these classes would be fine, not looking to take every single class. I've called some gyms around here but no one wants to mention the price. The staff are friendly but they are keen on trying to get you try the trial classes and avoid questions about price. May be it's good for the gym as a business but as a student whose semester is starting in a week, I need to know the prices and figure out my financial obligations. Don't have much time to waste.

There has to be a few people here that train in some of the gyms around like xtreme, toronto bjj, kombat arts, rev mma, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2739 posts
194 upvotes
Canadia
Interesting that you are considering all of these, as they are very different disciplines with very different cultures.

Judo, Jujutsu, Aikido or Kendo at an excellent dojo such as JCCC would be around $45 per month I think (including membership in the community centre, and registration in the class), possibly cheaper for students. These traditional martial arts are often run in community centres by volunteers or people who have had a lifelong commitment to the sport since long before mixed martial arts became fashionable in North America. From what I have seen they tend to be motivated less by money and more by personal enjoyment of the sport, as well as the history and philosophy that comes with it.

You can get a used gi for $40 and a pair of zoris for 99 cents, and that's all the equipment you'll need for long time in Judo, Jujutsu or Aikido. After a few years of practice you may until you may be advised by an impartial highly experienced person (ie, not a person whose organization also sells martial arts equipment) to upgrade your gi, costing $150-300 or so. But only after you've been practicing for a few years and it is clear that you are committed to many more years in the sport.

More trendy stuff such as MMA, contemporary variations of Jujutsu, Sambo, Muay Thai etc tends to be a lot more expensive (think roughly double), and the culture of these sports tends to be a lot more focused on making money -- at least in North America.

When you visit different dojos you will probably notice that MMA gyms tend to have loads of corporate logos, advertising, photoshopped posters, sparkling trophies, brands and marketing slogans all over the walls, shelves, mats, equipment and people's clothing, while Judo/Jujutsu/Aikido/Kendo dojos tend to be completely bare except for a photograph of an old Japanese man to whom everyone bows at the beginning and end of practice. You may make a similar observation when seeing people's personal appearance; in dojos of certain sports you might think you have walked into a tattoo parlour, while dojos of other sports will have hardly anyone with a body piercing. These are two small but highly visible examples of the vast cultural differences between different fighting sports. The more important differences are less obvious the first time you walk in, but have a much greater effect on your experience over time.

To be honest I would not choose based on price, but rather on what you want to achieve, what sort of culture you want to be immersed in; on what sort of place, people and philosophy you can see yourself sticking with for the next 20 years, 40 years, even 60 years if you are quite committed. Visit many dojos and don't commit to any until you find one where you feel comfortable.

The real question I think, is what are your goals? A good workout? Become a prize fighter? Wear flashy shorts like the cage fighters on pay per view? To attend a fight club where you can relieve stress with low probability of injury? Compete in the Olympics? Combine workout with meditation and eastern philosophy? Wear gloves and hit stuff? Hit people? Be able to truthfully tell chicks in a bar that you have a black belt? Train in a highly regimented environment? Train in a self-directed environment?

The clearer your goals the clearer it becomes which sport and culture is a fit for you, and the less relevant price becomes. I mean, there are certain sports that I wouldn't be interested in doing month after month, year after year even if they were free of charge, simply because I'm not interested in being immersed in those cultures, or don't enjoy the training methods, and there are too many other sports and other activities I'd rather be doing instead.

Perhaps this is what the MMA instructor was hoping to discuss with you in person, rather than focusing on price over the phone. Then again, perhaps he was just using an old salesman's tactic to get you in the door so that he could manipulate you into signing up for some overpriced program that isn't really what you wanted. Or perhaps one masquerading as the other.

Also, if you look hard enough you can probably find a dojo for your sport somewhere which is way cheaper than the average. An old place I used to go was I think $25 per month including all fees and taxes with nothing else to pay at all. But I think this is not so common. Another was $55 per month including all fees and taxes and this included unlimited use of the gym and workout machines, weights, showers and any other martial arts class I wanted to take (could choose from about 12 and attend all of them if I wanted to). You should never have to pay more than 3 months in advance. Particularly as a student, you need the flexibility to take time off training if necessary in case your workload/exam study schedule gets very heavy.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3731 posts
30 upvotes
A few years back when I was looking to start training - almost all the places listed the price - now almost none do. I get the reasoning from the business side but I understand why you would want to know the prices before going in - why try out a place outside of your budget?

I can give some basic opinions on a few of the gyms I have been to in the area.

Xtreme Couture is where I currently train - up until maybe 6 months ago - I would have said this is by far the best deal for MMA/no gi bjj training that you can get. As an overall package it was the best all around - given the price, even better. Wrestling is at a pretty decent level, Thai boxing is done by Clifton Brown who I hear is top notch, etc.. Hominick, Horodecki, Bocek are all no longer teaching there, why they are still advertised... IDK. I have not seen Bocek since he left to his camp to train for Dustin Hazlett. Wagnney is still there - teaches GI which is only twice a week. I only grapple - so I can only speak to that in terms of the level - it is still decent but no where near where it was at around a year ago. The price is right still - I hear you can get a full year for $599 plus tax - compared to most gyms - higher level or not - this is a good price. It also includes a full fitness membership. They do not put limits on training like some places.

Toronto BJJ is probably the best place to train for GI BJJ in Toronto/GTA. For other martial arts, not so much. From what I was told, it is around $100/month but you are looking at restrictions on how much you can train - which changes the price. Great instruction, Britto is going to be at ADCC this year. Lots of various people training there as well.

Grant Brothers, not sure of the price but I hear in terms of MMA boxing, this is the spot. Bocek, when he trained at Xtreme Couture mentioned he did his boxing at Grant Bros. This is prior to going down to ATT though. The instruction at Grant's for BJJ is great - not sure of the level of students. I believe it is also around 100/month. I beleive they do the same thing with putting limited training and paying more for unlimited.

Mecha - recently renovated, looks good. I noticed some of the top guys from xtreme ended up going there. I believe it is around $100/month. I would check it out.

Open Mat - Great location , great group of people - but very expensive. I would recommend checking it out, the facility is small but awesome. Haven't met a nicer group of people but it is also pricey. They also offer different packages and limits on training - different memberships - which I believe start just over $100/month.

Revolution - I'm not big on the place - but it seems to be a bit far for your location anyway.

Kombat Arts - all around decent gym. Decent facility - decent instruction, some decent grappling but imo, for the price - nothing special. Doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Elite - Claude Patrick's gym - looks great - not sure of the price. I would be very interested to know. They are a new gym so they are still getting more classes put in place. I am not even sure who the head BJJ instructor is - or the level of grappling. I would say to check it out but I am not sure about it.

Lastly, Rob Dicenso who is Canada's highest placer in ADCC started teaching at his own place in a Premier Fitness (he also teaches at Grant's). IMO, one of the best instructors around. I would suggest him as well. He is at a place in Mississauga that just started up. It is small but you also get a lot more attention from a high level black belt because of it. It is $75-85/month I believe - the facilities in the gym are nice though. I would suggest checking this one out to.

Edit: Most of the gyms do not have judo, and for MMA most gyms will recommend wrestling. That being said - Grant's has Judo but I am unaware of any of the others that have Judo. I think Mecha might, and Scott Schilling's (mississauga) place shares the club with a Judo club. They are only Judo and BJJ though.

There is a traditional BJJ gym that focuses mainly on GI grappling and has judo (I believe) - but it is not any cheaper than most gyms.

I know some people training in the more traditional arts such as Japanese Jiujitsu or Aikido. I would have to suggest deciding what your goals are. A lot of those dojos now charge quite a bit as well. In most cases - for self defense & getting in shape - the martial arts you would learn in an MMA gym are more effective IMO. For fun - that is subjective. If the more traditional stuff interests you - than by all means try it out and see if it is for you and if the price is right.

Good luck!
[OP]
Aug 21, 2011
6 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Thx for the reply guys. The only real goal I have at the moment is to get as good as I possibly can. I don't mind gyms being traditional or commercial, the only thing that would bother me is if they were leaning too much towards one side or another.

BJJ is the main martial art that I am interested in, second comes judo and muay thai, third is boxing and wrestling. Ideally I'd start with bjj (6-8hrs/wk) and once I'm comfortable with the basics of bjj, I will probably start taking muay thai and judo. I feel that Judo and BJJ can help each other because both arts are related. While I like boxing and wrestling, I will probably only start taking them 11/2-2 years from now, if at all.

This is just one scenario though, if i find a good gym that offers wrestling and boxing instead of jiu jitsu and muay thai then I might go with that gym.

I like the suggestion of JCCC but it's far, I think for Judo I'm going to have to find a similar traditional gym that's closer to me. Grant Brother's is a bit too far, Kombat Arts main focus seems to muay thai. Xtreme, TBJJ, Mecca look like the best choices so far. I love how Mecca is the only gym that lists their prices on their website, that itself makes me want to sign up with them. The only real downside I see with them is that they don't seem to have much striking. TBJJ seems expensive but their schedule is awesome. Xtreme seems good as well.

phomp - If you don't mind me asking, when did you hear about TBJJ being 100/month? Do you think the prices went up from the last time you heard?

Also can anyone point to any judo clubs on the east side of Mississauga/Etobicoke/Downtown? or just any other martial art for that matter.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3731 posts
30 upvotes
SingleShot wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 11:54 pm
Thx for the reply guys. The only real goal I have at the moment is to get as good as I possibly can. I don't mind gyms being traditional or commercial, the only thing that would bother me is if they were leaning too much towards one side or another.

BJJ is the main martial art that I am interested in, second comes judo and muay thai, third is boxing and wrestling. Ideally I'd start with bjj (6-8hrs/wk) and once I'm comfortable with the basics of bjj, I will probably start taking muay thai and judo. I feel that Judo and BJJ can help each other because both arts are related. While I like boxing and wrestling, I will probably only start taking them 11/2-2 years from now, if at all.

This is just one scenario though, if i find a good gym that offers wrestling and boxing instead of jiu jitsu and muay thai then I might go with that gym.

I like the suggestion of JCCC but it's far, I think for Judo I'm going to have to find a similar traditional gym that's closer to me. Grant Brother's is a bit too far, Kombat Arts main focus seems to muay thai. Xtreme, TBJJ, Mecca look like the best choices so far. I love how Mecca is the only gym that lists their prices on their website, that itself makes me want to sign up with them. The only real downside I see with them is that they don't seem to have much striking. TBJJ seems expensive but their schedule is awesome. Xtreme seems good as well.

phomp - If you don't mind me asking, when did you hear about TBJJ being 100/month? Do you think the prices went up from the last time you heard?

Also can anyone point to any judo clubs on the east side of Mississauga/Etobicoke/Downtown? or just any other martial art for that matter.
I guess some would consider Xtreme to commercial? To me, who cares. It is about the level of training and the price of training. My best suggestion is to check out Toronto BJJ (and get a price), Mecha, and Xtreme and decide which one you like the best and which fits your budget the best.

I remember looking to train at TBJJ - prices were listed on the webpage at around $100/month, but this was a long time ago. I have heard the prices are in that range still from a few people. To be honest - I am not certain at this point.

Not sure of the level of striking at Mecca (now known as Mecha), but there is a decent team of guys fighting MMA out of there. IMO, you would not go wrong in training there.

Xtreme is the best option for the money IMO. That being said, there is no judo classes and only two BJJ GI classes a week. The focus is really on no gi grappling from what I can tell. If you train at TBJJ you get more of a GI oriented focus. I can not compare the striking at the gyms because I am simply not sure. Mecha has both and is pretty good for both.

The other thing to consider is how you like to train. TBJJ and Mecha have classes (for grappling) that are for intermediate and advanced which means that as a beginner you can not attend them until you reach the level. Xtreme does not do this at all, all classes are open. Not sure about rolling - some gyms do not have you roll until a certain amount of classes, at Xtreme I rolled the first class. There are pros and cons to these styles. (Sparring in striking is different - and generally you do not spar until a certain level of experience, though I am certain some instructors at xtreme let you spar, no matter how new you are. Not sure about the other gyms). I would certainly try out the 3 places you are interested in.

Consider the membership - if it is unlimited or how often a week you can train. Xtreme is unlimited, they don't have other MMA memberships that limit the training. Other gyms do this, so watch for that. If you main focus is getting good for MMA, then Xtreme is great. If it is for no gi grappling, Xtreme is great. In Gi, the instruction is great, but the classes are small, not a strong gi group there.

Judo does make a great transfer over, especially because BJJ (both gi and nogi) class does not teach any takedowns at Xtreme (again, not sure about other gyms). The recommendation is to do wrestling for takedowns because they are more effective than BJJ ones anyway. That being said, if you are paying and training a few times a week to train at an MMA gym, paying a seperate membership to do Judo may not be economical and finding a gym with Judo (if you are keen on it) may be better. Schilling's is in mississauga, I believe it shares the facility with a Judo place - but not sure how it works or the pricing. They do not have striking either - they have BJJ, Judo, and self defense stuff. May be worth checking out, but again it is a smaller place.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
two questions.
1. give us your approx. location. like a major intersection.
2. approx age & fitness level/experience.

i seem to recall TBJJ costing around $100 per month for 'full-time' training. twice per week was cheaper, i think.
keep in mind though, TBJJ's owner, Josh, is known as a huge douchebag in the bjj community. their students are good though. but some people find the place too militant.

for judo, if you want crazy, kickass, painful, oldschool stuff, JCC is the place as mentioned earlier. it's headed by a man named Varga, who is one mean bastard. if you go there and stick to it, you'd get tough. i guarantee it.

this isn't well known yet, but if you want sambo, grant bros is offering combat sambo 3 times a week. i think it was $100 per month. sambo is still quite rare in the country. i wish there was american sambo here. grant also has judo, but i'm not sure how popular the program is.

if you can make it to mississauga, Shinbukan judo is as good as it gets. the instructor there, Goki Uemura, is just about the nicest man you'd ever meet, who has also produced many champions. he trained Anthony Carelli, aka Santino Marella of wwe, who was junior canadian champion.

and Scott Schilling rents space from Goki for Bjj. Scott is a great grappler. i think he's nuts. but he's a great grappler.

with mecca, the bjj bb Mark Stables is probably the coolest dude i know in bjj. really chill. great guy. they also have judo there, Goki Uemura used to teach there, but no more, but i am not sure who teaches it anymore. mecca has $100 all inclusive, iirc. they also have boxing, i think twice per week. upstairs is kickboxing, but it's a separate club with its own fees. a lot of hot women at the kickboxing place though. for hot, young, sweaty babes, that's the place to go. 'grappling' can be supplemented at your own leisure at night time.

if you are a young guy, and have interest in competing, you can try wrestling. look up team impact wrestling, which is about the only pure wrestling place in the GTA. they train near bloor and broadview. i would not recommend this if you aren't young and in reasonably good shape though.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
[OP]
Aug 21, 2011
6 posts
MISSISSAUGA
I live near Dixie and Bloor. I'm 20 turning 21, you might as well just think I'm completely new to martial arts. I don't have good cardio, I'm average size - 5'10, weighing in the mid 160's. I'm faster than the average but not stronger.

JCC will be a bit too far, same with Grant Bro's. Elite training center is actually the closest but they are new and they seem really mma focused. Acma and Kombat Arts are probably the second closest. I don't mind traveling to xtreme, tbjj or mecha. Even JCC and grant Bros I'd travel if it wasn't for school.

thx for the heads up on Shinbukan and impact wrestling. Do you know the price for shinbukan or should I just email them? Also what do you guys think of Judo at YMCA?Theres seems to be anther judo club called Sakura - 4900 Cawthra Rd Mississauga. I don't know much about he instruction or anything.

If you don't mind me asking is Josh the same guy listed as instructor in their website? Do you know why he's not liked?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
SingleShot wrote:
Aug 31st, 2011 1:33 pm
I live near Dixie and Bloor. I'm 20 turning 21, you might as well just think I'm completely new to martial arts. I don't have good cardio, I'm average size - 5'10, weighing in the mid 160's. I'm faster than the average but not stronger.

JCC will be a bit too far, same with Grant Bro's. Elite training center is actually the closest but they are new and they seem really mma focused. Acma and Kombat Arts are probably the second closest. I don't mind traveling to xtreme, tbjj or mecha. Even JCC and grant Bros I'd travel if it wasn't for school.

thx for the heads up on Shinbukan and impact wrestling. Do you know the price for shinbukan or should I just email them? Also what do you guys think of Judo at YMCA?Theres seems to be anther judo club called Sakura - 4900 Cawthra Rd Mississauga. I don't know much about he instruction or anything.

If you don't mind me asking is Josh the same guy listed as instructor in their website? Do you know why he's not liked?

shibukan was $55 for adults. really good sized mat area there. call goki and say that you'd like to watch a class.

usually judo at YMCA is VERY recreational, and infrequent. if you want to get good, you really need at least 3 times a week training.

i don't know much about sakura, except that it's polish. it's not a well known club.

josh had a run in with his former instructor and there is/was a legal battle between them and there's been some bad blood since. from what i heard, josh has done a lot of dev of bjj in toronto, but also stepped on some toes.

as for wrestling, are you an univ student? team impact handles U of T students and would be mostly free.

let us know where you end up.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3731 posts
30 upvotes
SingleShot wrote:
Aug 31st, 2011 1:33 pm

I forgot about ACMA, that place flies under the radar. The blackbelt there is legit (Machado BB) but it seems like there is not a ton of grapplers coming out of there. Could be decent training but I heard the level of the student base is not great. Not sure what the schedule is like, or the price.

For your location, Xtreme seems to be the best option IMO. Training at Impact is probably not necessary for you as a beginner anyway. A lot of the MMA guys at Xtreme train at Impact Wrestling - they agree it is the best option for wrestling in the area, but you can wrestle at Xtreme few times a week for no extra cost. At the beginner level, the wrestling at Xtreme should be more than enough, it is pretty solid actually - top level for an MMA gym compared to any of the others I have been to.

I forgot about the Sambo at Grant Bro's, I'd like to try it out to see what it is like. IDK of any other gyms that offer it.

ippon wrote:
Aug 31st, 2011 2:34 pm

josh had a run in with his former instructor and there is/was a legal battle between them and there's been some bad blood since. from what i heard, josh has done a lot of dev of bjj in toronto, but also stepped on some toes.

as for wrestling, are you an univ student? team impact handles U of T students and would be mostly free.
I'd just wrestle at Xtreme if you end up there. If the gym has wrestling classes, as a beginner it should be more than adequate. If not, +1 for Impact.

lol, funny story about Josh, my buddy from Xtreme called TBJJ looking for some equipment that Xtreme did not sell, nor did most stores in the area. Josh asked him about where he was training and then proceeded to bash Xtreme on the phone (no big deal) and then say that he has to charge more for the gear because they are not a big "conglomerate" like Xtreme. Had he just mentioned the price - a few of us would have just bought it but instead we paid a bit more on ebay for it. It just made him feel uncomfortable - which could have cost TBJJ a customer - my buddy was considering TBJJ after the Xtreme contract was up because they are more Gi oriented and a good location for what he was doing - but when his contract ended he did not even consider them after that.

That being said, a lot of the students seem loyal to Britto and a large reason why many do not leave. I have heard rumors about some of the things that were done that pissed off a lot of students but can not say for sure. If Britto ever decided to leave - I wonder what would happen to the place. Toronto BJJ is directly a registered school with the IBJJF and Britto is a registered instructor - most schools in the area do not have this and with the new IBJJF rules on competition it is actually important. Some schools use affiliation as a way around this, as an Xtreme student - IDK what I am going to do for Pan Am's this year as Xtreme is not registered with them, nor an affiliate of a school that is. (Our head instructor is a black belt under Marc Laimon so I am going to see if we can register under them). Britto is also competing at ADCC this year which is sweet. Toronto BJJ also sends a competition team to pretty much every major tournament which is nice (gi or no gi). A lot of gyms in the GTA area do not do this either. It depends what your goals are, TBJJ might be a good fit for some, regardless of the ownership - but in this case, for the OP it does not seem like it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
phomp wrote:
Aug 31st, 2011 8:48 pm
For your location, Xtreme seems to be the best option IMO. Training at Impact is probably not necessary for you as a beginner anyway. A lot of the MMA guys at Xtreme train at Impact Wrestling - they agree it is the best option for wrestling in the area, but you can wrestle at Xtreme few times a week for no extra cost. At the beginner level, the wrestling at Xtreme should be more than enough, it is pretty solid actually - top level for an MMA gym compared to any of the others I have been to.

I'd just wrestle at Xtreme if you end up there. If the gym has wrestling classes, as a beginner it should be more than adequate. If not, +1 for Impact.

lol, funny story about Josh, my buddy from Xtreme called TBJJ looking for some equipment that Xtreme did not sell, nor did most stores in the area. Josh asked him about where he was training and then proceeded to bash Xtreme on the phone (no big deal) and then say that he has to charge more for the gear because they are not a big "conglomerate" like Xtreme. Had he just mentioned the price - a few of us would have just bought it but instead we paid a bit more on ebay for it. It just made him feel uncomfortable - which could have cost TBJJ a customer - my buddy was considering TBJJ after the Xtreme contract was up because they are more Gi oriented and a good location for what he was doing - but when his contract ended he did not even consider them after that.

That being said, a lot of the students seem loyal to Britto and a large reason why many do not leave. I have heard rumors about some of the things that were done that pissed off a lot of students but can not say for sure. If Britto ever decided to leave - I wonder what would happen to the place. Toronto BJJ is directly a registered school with the IBJJF and Britto is a registered instructor - most schools in the area do not have this and with the new IBJJF rules on competition it is actually important. Some schools use affiliation as a way around this, as an Xtreme student - IDK what I am going to do for Pan Am's this year as Xtreme is not registered with them, nor an affiliate of a school that is. (Our head instructor is a black belt under Marc Laimon so I am going to see if we can register under them). Britto is also competing at ADCC this year which is sweet. Toronto BJJ also sends a competition team to pretty much every major tournament which is nice (gi or no gi). A lot of gyms in the GTA area do not do this either. It depends what your goals are, TBJJ might be a good fit for some, regardless of the ownership - but in this case, for the OP it does not seem like it.

there are some beginners at impact. every year, u of t students who want to try out wrestling come out. but they don't get the best attention, usually. wrestling is a sport that exist for competition. virtually nobody wrestled recreationally, up until very recently when MMA gyms started to offer it. and breeding a good wrestler starts early and at VERY latest 15-16. if an adult walks into a wrestling team for the first time, everyone knows that person has no future, so for the most part, he'll be ignored by the 'real' wrestlers and most coaches.

i'm starting to get fat, so i'll likely go back to impact. well, i've been talking about going back for the past few months, but i'll really do it this time i think. what held me back is the environment. it is not the friendliest place, because there are a lot of egos.

and another thing i dislike about TBJJ is that they don't allow you to talk during class. they have their reasons for their strict code of conduct, but it ain't for me. and i've heard way too many things about josh about how much of a douche he is. he's also kicked people out of the club for cross training at other places. but, if one was serious about getting better, TBJJ would be a good place, simply because of their large membership. more people you fight, better you'd get.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3731 posts
30 upvotes
ippon wrote:
Sep 1st, 2011 2:05 pm
there are some beginners at impact. every year, u of t students who want to try out wrestling come out. but they don't get the best attention, usually. wrestling is a sport that exist for competition. virtually nobody wrestled recreationally, up until very recently when MMA gyms started to offer it. and breeding a good wrestler starts early and at VERY latest 15-16. if an adult walks into a wrestling team for the first time, everyone knows that person has no future, so for the most part, he'll be ignored by the 'real' wrestlers and most coaches.

i'm starting to get fat, so i'll likely go back to impact. well, i've been talking about going back for the past few months, but i'll really do it this time i think. what held me back is the environment. it is not the friendliest place, because there are a lot of egos.

and another thing i dislike about TBJJ is that they don't allow you to talk during class. they have their reasons for their strict code of conduct, but it ain't for me. and i've heard way too many things about josh about how much of a douche he is. he's also kicked people out of the club for cross training at other places. but, if one was serious about getting better, TBJJ would be a good place, simply because of their large membership. more people you fight, better you'd get.

Fair enough, I just do not see any good reason to pay to go to Impact if the gym you end up picking already has wrestling. Unless you are at the high level where you need to get much better or you are going into professional MMA, is there a point to paying for a 2nd membership?

If your gym doesn't have it and you really want to wrestle, I could see it.

Agreed about TBJJ. To be honest, Xtreme Couture is completely the opposite in terms of how strict they are on cross training, talking in class, showing up on time, etc... In one way it is great as I can train with who I want to, when I want to, and if i'm late and miss the move, there is no issue.... It is very relaxed that way. On the other hand, it means a lot less structure is in place, less guys are making sure to make the class on time and learn the moves, etc...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
phomp wrote:
Sep 1st, 2011 2:34 pm
Fair enough, I just do not see any good reason to pay to go to Impact if the gym you end up picking already has wrestling. Unless you are at the high level where you need to get much better or you are going into professional MMA, is there a point to paying for a 2nd membership?

If your gym doesn't have it and you really want to wrestle, I could see it.

Agreed about TBJJ. To be honest, Xtreme Couture is completely the opposite in terms of how strict they are on cross training, talking in class, showing up on time, etc... In one way it is great as I can train with who I want to, when I want to, and if i'm late and miss the move, there is no issue.... It is very relaxed that way. On the other hand, it means a lot less structure is in place, less guys are making sure to make the class on time and learn the moves, etc...

impact is nearly free, btw. just gotta sign up for some mandatory insurance stuff from lutte canada. it operates on funding, so that's why the place is competition result driven.

bocek and misha would come on scrimmage days to fight the russian guy in the team.

i really do not like the vibe at the club though. the muslim guys generally stick to themselves and newbies get little to no attention.
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
30 upvotes
Guelph
Are any of you guys fighting amateur? Or just training for fitness?

Just curious. I used to go to a local (weightlifting) gym and some dude was fighting amateur bouts. He trained elsewhere of course for striking/grappling.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
O1IN85 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2011 3:07 pm
Are any of you guys fighting amateur? Or just training for fitness?

Just curious. I used to go to a local (weightlifting) gym and some dude was fighting amateur bouts. He trained elsewhere of course for striking/grappling.

no. if i was young, maybe, but when i was younger, i only cared about judo and nothing else.
i train, well trained, for the thrill. there's something eerily satisfying about smashing someone on their back.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2739 posts
194 upvotes
Canadia
Regarding judo dojos downtown, University of Toronto judo club is/was quite strong as I recall. Haven't been there in a long time, and the facilities weren't the best (poor ventilation) but what I remember of the instructors and participants was very positive.

http://judo.sa.utoronto.ca/
× < >