Cell Phones

Price point of $149 and PC Points on Moto G5 -- is this a decent price?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 5:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1441 posts
359 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.

Price point of $149 and PC Points on Moto G5 -- is this a decent price?

My hubby needs to replace his cell phone and doesn't have many demands on it. But he wants a minimum 5-inch screen, 2GB of ram and good cameras. And he'd like to spend around $100. I saw that PC Mobile has the Moto G5 on for $149. And we have an offer for 25,000 PC points this week on $50 at the PC Mobile Shop, making this phone net at $124. I'm looking for price comparisons for this phone and there aren't many. But all seem more expensive, though the specs are slightly different. It seems well reviewed though. Is this a decent phone for this price do you think?

http://www.pcmobile.ca/prepaid_phones.j ... rod2830003

https://www.motorola.ca/products/moto-g
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
7 replies
Dec 22, 2013
592 posts
1511 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Excellent find OP. Very good deal I would say at $124 plus taxes. For just using as phone and small browsing 2GB ram should be enough, and expandable memory upto128 GB.
Makes me think, I should try to get one too Smiling Face With Open Mouth
May 8, 2009
2283 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
If it meets your budget, jump on it. Definitely a solid phone for the price.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Dec 2, 2013
15 posts
11 upvotes
Quebec, QC
I got one a couple of weeks ago at a local Maxi store at $150.00. Very nice phone IMO. It replaced an HTC One M7 that had the purple tint camera bug.

Only cons I found so far:
  • In video camera mode, the auto focus keeps self adjusting al the time, so it becomes a bit annoying when you film something. I tried filming one of my son's indoor soccer game in a gymnasium where the lighting was good, and you can see a little blurring for a fraction of a second, every 2 or 3 seconds apart. Did not play with the "professionnal" mode where you set all settings yourself, that might prevent this happening.
  • For the music playing part, there is no Moto music player, you have to use Google Play Music. I ended up buying the Poweramp music player app ($4.00), which is solid.
  • There is no Moto native car mode app. You'll have to get another app for this in the app store.

These are minor cons . Got a screen protector shield and a case from Amazon. Overall, I'm satisfied with it and it does the job well for my needs.
At that price with the bonus points, I'd grab it if you can find one. I had to go to or call a few Maxi / Provigo stores before I could find a place where there was one unit left.
Oct 1, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
TheHans wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:22 pm
And we have an offer for 25,000 PC points this week on $50 at the PC Mobile Shop, making this phone net at $124.

http://www.pcmobile.ca/prepaid_phones.j ... rod2830003

https://www.motorola.ca/products/moto-g
That 25k pts offer is for themobileshop(TMS) which is different from the self serve prepaid pcmobile in store that you're talking about and isn't eligible for the points. TMS is beyond the cashiers and has its own hours with its own staff and not all stores have a TMS in them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1441 posts
359 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
pandabearbeard wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 11:38 pm
That 25k pts offer is for themobileshop(TMS) which is different from the self serve prepaid pcmobile in store that you're talking about and isn't eligible for the points. TMS is beyond the cashiers and has its own hours with its own staff and not all stores have a TMS in them.
I know the difference, but thanks for pointing it out. It would be purchased at The Mobile Shop. They have to order it in from another store though...I think it's unlikely now we're going to get it anyway. As I said in my first post, it's for my hubby and he has a price point. This is somewhat above it in the first place and now we found out that with their pre-paid phones, you have to purchase a pre-paid phone card (minimum $15) and a SIM card too. So that's the $25 saved with the 25,000 points. I think it's still a good deal, but it's more than he says he needs and it's more than he wants to spend.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Oct 1, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
TheHans wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 4:57 pm
I know the difference, but thanks for pointing it out. It would be purchased at The Mobile Shop. They have to order it in from another store though...I think it's unlikely now we're going to get it anyway. As I said in my first post, it's for my hubby and he has a price point. This is somewhat above it in the first place and now we found out that with their pre-paid phones, you have to purchase a pre-paid phone card (minimum $15) and a SIM card too. So that's the $25 saved with the 25,000 points. I think it's still a good deal, but it's more than he says he needs and it's more than he wants to spend.
That's new, every phone I've bought from the prepaid kiosk came with a sim card and the sim came with a free $10 so no need for any phone card for activation. Maybe ordering through TMS is different. One sub $100 phone I'd highly recommend is the ZTE Grand X2. About 6+ months ago they were being sold for about $89 at the kiosk but I'm sure they were dumping the last of them at that price, so I don't know if they would still have any left. Maybe can find one online.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13920 posts
9536 upvotes
Toronto
Dang. Too bad the G5 is 2GB/16GB. If it was the 3GB/32GB unit the deal would be hard to resist
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus