Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

Price protection! 30/01 -BB: Lenovo P580 reduced @$249, V570 @$299.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2023 8:36 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1474 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
dsi wrote: Yes the K53Z has an AMD A4 which is no better than an i3. I bought one online refurbished from FS and returned it to the store because it was too slow for my needs (some programming, youtube viewing, etc.). I got the P580 now and am loving it.
Okay, so even though some of the other specs are slightly better and its new vs refurb, buy the lenovo for 379?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2396 posts
1538 upvotes
skidragoon wrote: Okay, so even though some of the other specs are slightly better and its new vs refurb, buy the lenovo for 379?
It is really depending on your priority in purchasing ie. only buy new item.
My only concern in the asus is the slowly A4 CPU at that price. However even if you want to buy, it is OOS, no?

Please note wise people buy refurb. items if doing proper research (similar to Warren Buffett owns a used car :) ). In this deal, one good thing is you have 1 year warranty vs the regular 90 days (hint: that is 1st proper research and the next one should be to find out if that is true). Don't get me wrong I am not trying to sell this deal to you. It is only you who make the decision.
Jun 4, 2007
151 posts
22 upvotes
Oshawa
dsi wrote: Yes the K53Z has an AMD A 4 which is no better than an i3. I bought one online refurbished from FS and returned it to the store because it was too slow for my needs (some programming, youtube viewing, etc.). I got the P580 now and am loving it.
K53Z specs are good except for the very slow low end CPU

AMD A4-3300M passmark = 1626
B960 passmark = 1919
i3 2350M passmark = 2702
i5-2450M PassMark = 3545
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1113 posts
824 upvotes
Moncton
Thanks OP - just pulled the trigger on the P580 for $379.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1474 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
siennaLe2008 wrote: It is really depending on your priority in purchasing ie. only buy new item.
My only concern in the asus is the slowly A4 CPU at that price. However even if you want to buy, it is OOS, no?

Please note wise people buy refurb. items if doing proper research (similar to Warren Buffett owns a used car :) ). In this deal, one good thing is you have 1 year warranty vs the regular 90 days (hint: that is 1st proper research and the next one should be to find out if that is true). Don't get me wrong I am not trying to sell this deal to you. It is only you who make the decision.
What do you think about the video card comparisons between the two? May purchase the lenovo today
Dec 17, 2010
697 posts
263 upvotes
I ordered P580 last night. I also ordered ASUS R Series R500A 15.6" Laptop for 600$ +Tax and was delivered last Tuesday. I am debating which one to keep. The Asus R500A has i7-3630QM quad core processor with 8GB RAM and Windows 8. Any suggestions. I will use laptop for watching movies, Autocad , matlab and some 3D rendering.
Apr 5, 2007
1 posts
a sales person at fs told me that for a laptop to be considered as refurbished,it has to be returned minimum 3 times,only then it can be sold as refurbished.
to me buying refurb is just gambling
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
koray77 wrote: a sales person at fs told me that for a laptop to be considered as refurbished,it has to be returned minimum 3 times,only then it can be sold as refurbished.
to me buying refurb is just gambling
Hence, why FS and BB are scammers. It's not "can" be sold as refurbished. It's just their policy to screw customers this way. So, if 2 people had it and messed around with it, it's "new?" Not. When I buy a new machine, I want it to be NEW in a factory-sealed box. The Apple Store never does this; all customer-used equipment, even if perfect shape and out of the store for a day, is never sold again in the store. It's shipped back and sold online in the refurbed store after a complete tooth to tail lookover.
In your pants!
Sep 26, 2007
704 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
My credit card company will not extend the manufacturer's warranty on items purchased used, rebuilt or remanufactured. I believe that " Refurbs" will fall into that category.
In anycase, I pulled the trigger on the P580 anyway.
Dangaa wrote: Pulled the trigger on the 580 for the wife with a CC with extended warranty. Let's hope I don't have to use it.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2396 posts
1538 upvotes
FatWallet wrote: Hence, why FS and BB are scammers. It's not "can" be sold as refurbished. It's just their policy to screw customers this way. So, if 2 people had it and messed around with it, it's "new?"
+1
That was my situation last year during this time. Bought receiver 3 times with the item as new but found out that it is returned item (battery pack open, antenna missing and lastly scratches in the back of receiver)
Aug 22, 2011
952 posts
737 upvotes
Montreal
To me, the 1 year warranty on these Lenovo laptops indicates they must have passed through some type of quality control.
Montréal, Québec
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2396 posts
1538 upvotes
Kind of extreme but is there any 3rd party app to stress test out the Laptop, say, for 24-48 hours non stop.

For battery there is such app to obtain the state, usage, cycles and info etc. of the battery
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
MiniTatou wrote: To me, the 1 year warranty on these Lenovo laptops indicates they must have passed through some type of quality control.
I agree. For them to have so many in stock, it is doubtful that these are the 'returned in-store 3 times or more' versions. I suspect the scenario is closer to the one someone here spoke of, with these possibly being brand new units that were bought in bulk as refurbished units, etc.

It will be interesting to see the reports coming in as people receive them.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
siennaLe2008 wrote: Kind of extreme but is there any 3rd party app to stress test out the Laptop, say, for 24-48 hours non stop.

For battery there is such app to obtain the state, usage, cycles and info etc. of the battery
+1. What kinds of tests do you guys plan on running on these machines?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
how fast are these laptops? im thinking of replacing my desktop with one of these i do not play any games
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
i got the amd refurb last year when it was on sale for like 259+ taxes, mine looked MINT brand new, so its always YMMV if you get a mint refurb in new like condition or you get a 'obvious used' one with scratches

maybe buy TWO, pick the best one and return the other one, again YMMV if they allow you to return refurbs at your local store
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Aug 22, 2011
952 posts
737 upvotes
Montreal
I don't know how many of these are out for sale in Canada but it could be interesting (and probably helpful) to regroup all comments, tests, known issues in one place somewhere on the web. A kind of "after sale product page" ...
Montréal, Québec

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)