None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1346 posts
114 upvotes
Edmonton

Priceline and Car rental insurance via Visa

Any one have experience with using their Visa to book their Priceline car rental?... Does my Visa rental car coverage carry over? Since my payment is directed to Priceline and not the rental company.... I'd hate to get screwed...
12 replies
Apr 15, 2005
218 posts
23 upvotes
Ajax
I have an RBC Visa Gold Rewards card (the one without any annual fees) and when I read my cardholder agreement, it stated that the payment must be made to a rental car agency in order to get the coverage. I called to confirm that coverage would not be extended if I booked through a third party like Priceline, Hotwire or even Expedia and they said that was correct - the payment has to be with a company who is licenced to rent cars. Now, I don't know if it's because I have a no fee gold card so the coverage is more limited or not but I didn't want to take the chance. I would suggest checking your cardholder agreement - I was able to find mine on the RBC Visa site and/or call and ask.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5788 posts
369 upvotes
TO
Sorry to bump an old thread but just an FYI....I was told it'd be okay to book with carrentals.com because I make the payment at the counter when I pick up.

Wondering if anyone have heard this before from their CC Insurance clause?
Oct 6, 2007
317 posts
3 upvotes
I don't have any answers but thanks for bumping this up - I never thought about this and ~always~ rent via PL or expedia etc. Would the same apply for trip cancellation with hotel rooms and flights :confused:
:cheesygri Choose the ultimate PC upgrade. Get a Mac.
Apr 15, 2005
218 posts
23 upvotes
Ajax
TorontoEh wrote:
May 17th, 2011 4:25 pm
Sorry to bump an old thread but just an FYI....I was told it'd be okay to book with carrentals.com because I make the payment at the counter when I pick up even though they ask for cc # on the carrentals.com website.

Wondering if anyone have heard this before from their CC Insurance clause?

This was the case with me using the same RBC Visa Gold Rewards card I mentioned in my previous post. I was ok with booking with Hawaii Discount Car Rentals last month because I don't pay them, they make the reservation at their pre-negotiated rate on my behalf but I pay when I get to the counter so I'm paying directly to the rental agency and not a third party.
Oct 6, 2007
317 posts
3 upvotes
jadephoenixx wrote:
May 18th, 2011 12:03 pm
This was the case with me using the same RBC Visa Gold Rewards card I mentioned in my previous post. I was ok with booking with Hawaii Discount Car Rentals last month because I don't pay them, they make the reservation at their pre-negotiated rate on my behalf but I pay when I get to the counter so I'm paying directly to the rental agency and not a third party.

I have the RBC US Gold card (has trip cancellation & interruption coverage and it's only $35/yr since have multi product discount) and ~thought~ I was totally covered. I have booked through PL/Hotwire many times and thought I had full coverage. Last rental earlier this month I paid for the Liability but it was booked though Priceline so guess i wasn't really covered!!

Luckily I just reserved my next 4 rentals with Budget directly (great price with costco discount...) so I should be good the next time!

Meanwhile i'm going to print and ~really~ read my insurance brochures!
Dec 16, 2006
408 posts
34 upvotes
Thanks for clear, so no priceline or any prepaid rental or miles/points rewarded rental for me, because the saving is so limited.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5788 posts
369 upvotes
TO
canada168 wrote:
May 18th, 2011 5:29 pm
Thanks for clear, so no priceline or any prepaid rental or miles/points rewarded rental for me, because the saving is so limited.

Exactly. Last three times I've rented with Payless, I dealt directly and there prices were same as carrentals .com.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10653 posts
2035 upvotes
Kingston
canada168 wrote:
May 18th, 2011 5:29 pm

Each person should check with their insurer, but I don't think this interpretation is right:
1/ Last time I got a rental car via priceline it showed BUDGET CAR RENTAL on my credit card statement, not Priceline. So how would the credit card company even know it was done via priceline.
2/ Priceline is just another travel agent. So some are saying that if you book through a travel agent with your credit card then the credit card insurance doesn't apply? I wouldn't have that view.

I have a CapitalOne World Aspire MC and for car rental insurance it says: Charge the full cost of your car rental to your Capital One card a and decline the collision damage waiver insurance offered by the rental agency (you could save $20-$30 per day) and you’ll be insured for up to 48 days if your rental car is damaged or stolen.

Here is the VISA AUTO RENTAL COLLISION/LOSS DAMAGE INSURANCE which applies to these cards (including RBC Royal Bank Rewards Visa Gold card). It says:
* You must initiate and complete the entire rental transaction with the same Eligible
VISA card.
* The full cost of the rental must be charged to Your Eligible VISA card to activate
coverage.

So in the case of the card that jadephoenixx says wouldn't cover a priceline car rental, VISA says otherwise.

So definitely don't generalize that renting through priceline and other travel agents is problematics. I doubt that ever is a problem and if it is, it is the minority of cases. Having said that, you should always know the terms of YOUR coverage. What someone else's coverage is on their card is irrelevant to you.
Oct 6, 2007
317 posts
3 upvotes
I have re-read my RBC Visa agreement and it states:
This insurance is effective when the full cost of your rental vehicle issued by a rental agency is paid with your RBC Royal Bank U.S. Dollar Visa Gold card and/or RBC
Rewards® points.

I would interpret this to mean that it doesn't matter who you rent from as long as the car was from a rental agency...

As it was said - PL / Hotwire etc are just online travel agencies
Dec 24, 2006
103 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
When you guys rent cars using your credit card that has the car rental insurance, do you ask to pay upfront for the rental when you pick it up? It seems to me that Budget's policy is to simply take a deposit on your card and then charge you the full amount when you return the car. I always rent from Budget and I have insurance through my work for the rental car but I wanted to know for future reference whether all all or most car companies have the option of allowing you to pay when you pick up the car. Thank you!
Apr 15, 2005
218 posts
23 upvotes
Ajax
emchiasson wrote:
May 19th, 2011 12:47 am
I have re-read my RBC Visa agreement and it states:
This insurance is effective when the full cost of your rental vehicle issued by a rental agency is paid with your RBC Royal Bank U.S. Dollar Visa Gold card and/or RBC
Rewards® points.

I would interpret this to mean that it doesn't matter who you rent from as long as the car was from a rental agency...

As it was said - PL / Hotwire etc are just online travel agencies

My RBC Visa agreement says the same thing, but on mine, if you go further down to the definitions section, it says:

Rental agency (or rental agencies) means a vehicle rental agency licensed to rent
vehicles and which provides a rental agreement
. For greater certainty, throughout this
Certificate of Insurance, the terms ‘rental company’ and ‘rental agency’ refer to both
traditional vehicle rental agencies and car sharing programs.

I interpret that (and confirmed when I called in to Customer Service) as PL/Hotwire is not eligible because they are not a "vehicle rental agency licensed to rent vehicles" and they aren't the ones who "provides a rental agreement."

I agree with JWL, each person needs to check with their OWN INDIVIDUAL agreements. I am only providing my experience with my specific RBC Visa card in hopes that it helps others and prompts them to check their own agreements.
Mar 22, 2006
963 posts
135 upvotes
ugod999 wrote:
May 19th, 2011 12:31 pm
When you guys rent cars using your credit card that has the car rental insurance, do you ask to pay upfront for the rental when you pick it up? It seems to me that Budget's policy is to simply take a deposit on your card and then charge you the full amount when you return the car. I always rent from Budget and I have insurance through my work for the rental car but I wanted to know for future reference whether all all or most car companies have the option of allowing you to pay when you pick up the car. Thank you!

All the majors charge you when you return the car. Some companies off a discount f you prepay when you book