Automotive

Prices for flat-tire repair? What're your experiences with flat-tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2009 1:08 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa

Prices for flat-tire repair? What're your experiences with flat-tires?

Broke my 5~6yr stretch of no flat tires today :( . Really bummed me out, because putting 360kms alone combined week-end trips for the past 3.5 of 5yrs, the place I ended up getting one was <1km from home. Figures.

I noticed this huge (for an 19Wheeler) mud flap/guard on Carling with the mounting screws facing upwards :D . Unfortunately there were cars all around me (but not in front strangely enough..the road was entirely empty in front of us LOL) behind and to the sides, so I was cautious NOT to swerve into anybody and...for lack of a better word succombed and "took it like a man" LOL. I noticed the guy right behind me went RIGHT over the damn guard also. Man was I pissed.

Anyhoo., due to work and a 180km trek this evening which couldn't be delayed I popped into CanadianTire (Thank God their garage is open till 9pm), and was charged ~$24.98...another thing I sucked up and 'took like a man'. I knew had I been able to wait till morning, this local guy repairs flats and does summer/winter tire changes all-that-stuff cheap..but unfortunately I had to hit the hwy asap, would've done it-what-$15? who knows.

Sigh...let's just hope this isn't a recurring thing hehe.

Anyhoo., just wanted to know what the prices were around town and elsewhere.
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
25 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
LOL...figures!

Thankfully we have a second vehicle. I was able to remove the tire, drive over in other vehicle, get fixed, then put it back on myself.

Though I have auto-coverage thru Rogers, I'd hate to have had to use up a tow for this one...or pull out the whimpy spare LOL.
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
15518 posts
1266 upvotes
Langley
While you were in CT, you should have got a tire repair kit. Then add a lighter and a cheap air compressor, and you'll never have to pay for another repair. As long as the hole isn't too big, you can repair it in the same amount of time it takes to put the spare on.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11195 posts
1417 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 1:51 am
While you were in CT, you should have got a tire repair kit. Then add a lighter and a cheap air compressor, and you'll never have to pay for another repair. As long as the hole isn't too big, you can repair it in the same amount of time it takes to put the spare on.
Unless you've been shown how to properly plug a tire, most people won't be able to get this to work safely (i.e. plug leaks or blows out). All that happens is you screw up the hole even more and then you have to take it in for a proper repair
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
i6s1 wrote:
Okay MacGyver LOL....that's awesome! Unfortunately., I'm not a teenie bopper, or a single adult with no worries but my own on my shoulders. I'd rather have someone professional do it properly.

The CT guy said they unmounted the tire, then applied a one-piece rubber patch with plug (with whatever cementing) then remounted and did a balance verification test. They also said it's guaranteed for the life of the tire. Heck, in an emergency and at 8pm, I think it was a fair price of $24.98.

But I'll definately donate a couple bucks to seeing your proposal on youtube :cheesygri .
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2707 posts
27 upvotes
Plugs no more in N.S. A flat now has to be patched for a cost of $24.97 or similar , just what you paid .
Aug 14, 2005
667 posts
16 upvotes
Gloucester
i remember when i got a flat, i was able to put on the spare and drive on over to Costco where i orginally bought them like 2 years ago and they patched it up for free and installed it back on!

didn't need a recipt!, since it was a specific tire brand that only Coscto sold.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2314 posts
189 upvotes
Actually Costco didn't care if it was their tire or not when I went in (I had my OEM continentals on at the time) - as long as you were a member they patched it free. This was over at the HuntClub/Merivale location in Ottawa.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18624 posts
524 upvotes
Montreal
Costco = Free tire repair for Costco members.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
I knew there were cheaper options,. but at 8pm Where're you going to go? As well, if you can drive to a place as the air is leaking that's great. If your tire is flat already., short of getting a tow, or taking tire off and driving/busing/taxi/using another vehicle to get it over...might be worth more than just getting it fixed where you are at that moment.

I might start tabulating all the options and link them in post #1.

Keep the options coming folks! Thanks!

^Will they balance and remount it free as well?
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
bubble.tea wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 7:15 am
Okay MacGyver LOL....that's awesome! Unfortunately., I'm not a teenie bopper, or a single adult with no worries but my own on my shoulders. I'd rather have someone professional do it properly.

The CT guy said they unmounted the tire, then applied a one-piece rubber patch with plug (with whatever cementing) then remounted and did a balance verification test. They also said it's guaranteed for the life of the tire Heck, in an emergency and at 8pm, I think it was a fair price of $24.98.

But I'll definately donate a couple bucks to seeing your proposal on youtube :cheesygri .

I think that you are very right. The price very much matched the work. A number of places offer for free flat repairs but you need to be there when they are open. You did not get ripped off at all.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1482 posts
21 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 10:52 am

I thought that's only valid if you bought the tires from Costco.?!
Jan 15, 2008
856 posts
49 upvotes
Oil country
i6s1 wrote:
+1. That cheap tire repair kit has saved me a few times. 10 minutes and your back in business.
najibs wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 10:52 am
Good to know. Thanks! :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
8757 posts
582 upvotes
Costco doesn't do run-flats, at least from what they told me. I went to Frisby Tire to patch mine (screw in the tread). Costed 28 dollars or so. Also, getting an air compressor is a good idea just in case you can't make it to the shop that same day, just make sure you keep it inflated. Although in this case, it sounds like the nail was left on the mud flap..
× < >