• Dec 24th, 2012 9:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 20, 2007
839 posts
7 upvotes

[Loblaws] Prime rib roast $3.88/lb @ Loblaws

This is the lowest price I have seen for Canada grade AA cap off prime rib roast.

It's a nice alternative to turkey for X'mas dinner parties.
58 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1071 posts
140 upvotes
Markham
In Quebec, Loblaws is not carrying this promo. However, you can get it for $3.99 at Metro. Don't know if the Metros outside Quebec have this deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3121 posts
1041 upvotes
Ajax
HDawg wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 5:34 am
In Quebec, Loblaws is not carrying this promo. However, you can get it for $3.99 at Metro. Don't know if the Metros outside Quebec have this deal.
Metro here in Ontario has Grade A for 3.77
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Dec 31, 2005
147 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. Hopefully they'll have some nice 3-4 rib ones for our Christmas dinner.
Dec 16, 2008
85 posts
9 upvotes
Went to Zehrs today and picked up this. Decent looking ribs. Good deal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6386 posts
651 upvotes
You can get better looking pieces if you asked them to custom cut you a larger 3-6 rib roast and they will do that for you.

The piece I got wasnt aged properly, and even though it was cooked to perfection, the meat was pretty chewy. I think I might try the Metro prime rib - it's also AA but Metro is slightly more upscale and hopefully not cutting corners on the ageing of the meat.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1224 posts
336 upvotes
This is a really good deal for AA. However, for Christmas, I think I'd probably want to spend a few more bucks to get AAA. Anybody seen good prices for AAA?
May 19, 2005
674 posts
167 upvotes
Kingston
While the price is good, AA is terrible quality meat, really terrible. Just my opinion, but you should save up for "real" beef and not waste your money on this shoe leather quality...
Aug 13, 2006
232 posts
42 upvotes
gn22 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:36 pm
While the price is good, AA is terrible quality meat, really terrible. Just my opinion, but you should save up for "real" beef and not waste your money on this shoe leather quality...
+1...I tell my wife that AA stands for Alpo Advantage.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1527 posts
242 upvotes
borrowed receipt from a friend for prime ribs

Lemo + green onion (white parts) + blackpeper or whitepeper +ginger+salt or whatever seasoning you like

preheat oven @ 200F - 210F, seal the ribs with foil paper, 6 hours for 5-6 lbs, place a bowl of water in the oven to keep moisture

Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1453 posts
170 upvotes
Most people can't tell the difference between AA or AAA beef if it is cooked properly. And actually most people don't know how to cook a rib roast properly either.

If you look at the rib roast bin in loblaws, most of the pre-packaged so call 'roast' are 1-2 rib variety, occasionally you may find a 3 rib one, most of those can't even 'stand' properly.

Go to the butcher counter and ask the butcher to cut you a 4-6 rib roast and cook that properly. If it is too big for your family to consume, slice the leftover thin, vacuum pack it and use it as lunch meat or use it to make a cheese steak sandwish... Way better than those so-called deli meat which is 3-4 times the price and who knows what type of preservative are in it.

You can also slice off the bones (pre-cook) and rub in some salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil, then tightly wrap it in foil and slow roast in a 225 oven for 3-4 hours, it will be the most moist and tender piece of rib you've ever eaten. For the boneless roast, you can cut them into 1.25-1.5" of rib steak and bbq or pan fry as you please.
Remember to click the Thanks button if this is helpful to you...
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1453 posts
170 upvotes
sircool wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:06 pm
preheat oven @ 200F - 210F, seal the ribs with foil paper, 6 hours for 5-6 lbs, place a bowl of water in the oven to keep moisture

Looks good. He is doing a low and slow method. Some people I know have problem with the texture of the meat cooking this way.

i usually use the 'Foolproof Rib Roast' recipe from allrecipes website, but modify it to 450 for 45 minutes to create that beautiful crust, then shut off the over and let it cook to internal temp of 120 for medium rare, take out, tent and let rest for 30 minutes before slicing (internal temp will be under 130 at this point). I also stuff small pieces of garlic along the fat/muscle line for better flavour.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1453 posts
170 upvotes
sircool wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:14 pm
$49.98 /box for Wagyu @ T&T this week, also Lobsters @ $4.88/lb
T&T Flyer
man you guys in Toronto are so lucky. The same thing in Ottawa is usually 50-100% more expensive on their flyer.
× < >