Mont-Royal, QC

[PrimeCables] Height Adjustable Standing Monitor Desk Riser - $226

Price:
$225.99
Savings:
20%
Expiry:
January 31, 2017
Received PC weekly flyer via email, they'r having 20% off on all wall mounts and monitor desks at the moment.
http://www.primecables.com/p-355692-cab ... ack-finish

Found this adjustable monitor desk now for $245.99, apply coupon "PrimeCables20", get an extra $20 discount on top.
Not sure the price is hot, however seems like adjustable desk riser is quite expensive elsewhere.
36 replies
Dec 26, 2007
122 posts
7 upvotes
North York
Good to see some lower price options. I have been using a standing desk at work for a while and wouldn't want to go back to sitting. Was considering a set up for home but I don't really log the hours at home to justify the expense. May consider it at this price. I have a weird Ergotron set up at work, but a few people have a set up similar to this.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1696 posts
829 upvotes
Richmond
Interesting design. I made my own standing desk monitor riser for $20 (RFD cheapskate here), but one of the design problems I wrestled with was how to get the keyboard to sit as close to the original desktop as possible when the stand is down in the seated position. Obviously if there's a complicated lift mechanism underneath the top surface, it will add a least a couple of inches of height when folded flat, and your desktop is probably already at the maximum comfortable height for a keyboard. This Rocelco model has a slide-out keyboard shelf suspended below the top surface that touches the desktop when the stand is folded down. So the monitors are raised several inches higher above the dekstop (which most monitors need anyway due to short stands), but the keyboard isn't.
Mar 12, 2016
629 posts
92 upvotes
I haven't seen this brand Rocelco before. Search on google and watch the video, it looks heavy when lifting it up. Anyone shares experience?
May 24, 2007
279 posts
62 upvotes
British Columbia
Standing desks are pointless, because there is little benefit to standing in one spot over sitting, you actually have to move to gain the benefits (unless you are standing due to an injury or something). If you could mod this to use with a treadmill or stationary bike it might be OK, otherwise for this price I'd go with a monitor arm for a treadmill or bike, or a "Fitdesk" type desk stationary bike.
Jan 1, 2013
108 posts
11 upvotes
Devony wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 12:21 am
Standing desks are pointless, because there is little benefit to standing in one spot over sitting, you actually have to move to gain the benefits (unless you are standing due to an injury or something). If you could mod this to use with a treadmill or stationary bike it might be OK, otherwise for this price I'd go with a monitor arm for a treadmill or bike, or a "Fitdesk" type desk stationary bike.
There is actually a pretty big difference. Within an hour of sitting, blood starts pooling and blood flow starts to stagnate, which is the thing that a standing desk combats. We know that time spent sitting is independently associated with total mortality, regardless of physical activity level. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21232666)

Obviously if your goal is to be fitter a standing desk isn't going to get you there. These are for the majority of people with desk jobs, who don't want their job to cause avoidable health problems which they can't offset by going to the gym after work.
Oct 19, 2016
244 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
Umm can buy a whole standing desk from Ikea from under $300.. this device seems quite gimmicky
Jun 15, 2009
635 posts
139 upvotes
mrtrump wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 7:54 am
Umm can buy a whole standing desk from Ikea from under $300.. this device seems quite gimmicky
Actually this device is perfect and fills a niche some people need. Most notably solution for a workplace. Most work places have special desks that are very much stationary (especially if it's integrated into the cubicle itself) so having any sort of setup where entire desk lifts is not really an option. This goes on top of any existing desk and just works while being fairly reasonably priced. I for sure wouldn't say it's gimmicky, it just might not be a great fit for home use where more practical solutions may be available.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3469 posts
278 upvotes
St. John's
Really expensive for what it is IMO

You're better off buying that manual crank desk from Ikea for $300
Let's hug it out
Flickr
Nov 10, 2009
33 posts
10 upvotes
Calgary
I bought this model to use at work. Works well. Easy enough to raise and lower since it has the gas pistons. Better deal than the equivalent from Varidesk.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1142 posts
106 upvotes
Lévis
hovercraft wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 4:21 pm
Good to see some lower price options. I have been using a standing desk at work for a while and wouldn't want to go back to sitting. Was considering a set up for home but I don't really log the hours at home to justify the expense. May consider it at this price. I have a weird Ergotron set up at work, but a few people have a set up similar to this.
Ikea has two standing desk (motorized and manual). You can wait a sale. Not a great desk by any mean but it's priced accordingly. I highly recommand you use a stool if you buy the ikea desk.
Pourquoi pas?
Apr 8, 2007
299 posts
19 upvotes
Apex has nice standing desks but right now doesn't have distributors in canada
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7421 posts
2871 upvotes
Toronto
you actually lose weight when using a standing desk