Expired Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] MXQ-4K Unlicensed Android 8.1 on TV Box Amlogic S905W 1GB/8GB $30 (FS)

[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
104 posts
177 upvotes
4330 Adelaide St Tor…

[Primecables.ca] MXQ-4K Unlicensed Android 8.1 on TV Box Amlogic S905W 1GB/8GB $30 (FS)

Just saw a free shipping deal, their tv box has 14% off + 10x s-point
Not sure it's a hot deal or not. I have Apple TV for Netflix, but what the different between Apple and Android if I only watch Netflix
Last edited by aasoror on Jan 23rd, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title update
Lehmann L
Thread Summary
aasoror 01/23/20
- How does this $30 box compare to other piracy/iptv boxes and/or legit licensed options (AndroidTV/FireTV)? Read here.
126 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11373 posts
2822 upvotes
$5 off regular, run of the mill Android Box, not true Android TV box, I'd avoid it personally and get the Firestick 4K or a Mibox etc.
That formulation is old, 1 GB RAM, 8 GB internal storage, same processor as many models found on Amazon for similar.

While the Firestick cannot be upgraded re: hard drive space, the processing for the programs that Android boxes are particularly useful for is much better IMO. I run Kodi, Cyberflix, IPTV etc and have no issues.
Last edited by jackass_ca on Jan 22nd, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2423 posts
146 upvotes
Suggest spend a little more and buy a FireTV or any AndroidTV (no, not Phone Android running on TV) based box

this will be the source of headache.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11373 posts
2822 upvotes
NetAnt wrote: Suggest spend a little more and buy a FireTV or any AndroidTV (no, not Phone Android running on TV) based box

this will be the source of headache.
Exactly, there is a huge difference between Android TV and an Android box for your TV, a lot of the firmware is based on tablets and phones, why would you need a Dialer app, or messages app on your TV Box?

Jul 22, 2014
933 posts
2219 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I don't believe you can get anything but Standard Definition Netflix with this box.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2018
104 posts
177 upvotes
4330 Adelaide St Tor…
jackass_ca wrote: Exactly, there is a huge difference between Android TV and an Android box for your TV, a lot of the firmware is based on tablets and phones, why would you need a Dialer app, or messages app on your TV Box?
Good to know. So what’s the use of this thing? Looks like totally useless
Lehmann L
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
1357 posts
1945 upvotes
I don't think anything with 1GB RAM was worth it in 2015, let alone 2020.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11373 posts
2822 upvotes
miltonmichael wrote: Good to know. So what’s the use of this thing? Looks like totally useless
Not totally useless. You can run all of those programs off of it too, but the software or firmware used is similar to what they would use on a tablet, it's not meant for TV, a lot of times to get it to a TV Screen size or resolution, it's simply expanded or upscaled.
I used these for a few years and set them up for my family too, but then got the Google Nexus TV box free and it was night and day, then went to the Xiaomi Mi box, and again, even more of a difference, the Fire stick 4K is comparable and easy to use. NVIDIA shield would be your best bet but not cheap...

Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11373 posts
2822 upvotes
wing0 wrote: Should futureproof a little and go with 2-4GB ram and 32GB+ storage box.

Check this site for comparison.
http://chigztech.com/charts.html
Funny thing is, that list is labelled ANDROID TV, yet for 2020, the first 6 are the only Android TV devices on there, the others are Android "boxes" that you can use on your TV, and there is a huge difference...

Jul 14, 2019
257 posts
412 upvotes
Guys just buy an Nvidia Shield TV and be done with it. Nothing else even comes close, they are continually updated and supported, and they aren't expensive.

Or if all you want to do is add Netflix to your TV, do it with a Fire TV stick or Chromecast.
Jan 15, 2016
235 posts
167 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Suggest just go with firestick 4k. Havent had any issues with it. If you want it wired you can buy a separate adapter, but even in wireless i havent had issues.
Mar 3, 2019
25 posts
108 upvotes
I wasted my time setting up two consecutive boxes before biting the $170 bullet and getting an Nvidia shield. Will never look back, worth every penny. I've saved literally hours and can actually enjoy a smoothly working kodi setup with chromecast and Google home control to boot. The on/off signal over HDMI alone is worth the extra $140. Those Chinese boxes don't usually have it.
Oct 4, 2010
396 posts
102 upvotes
Surrey
I have a few of these android boxes over the years purchased from Amazon in the $40-50 range. Although they do the job and is flexible in installing android apps, I didn't realize the video quality is rather subpar on these boxes until I transitioned over to both Chromecast (non UHD) and Amazon Sticks which are far more superior.

A lot of these android boxes claim to be HD or 4K, but they seem to be lacking colour and brightness in comparison.
Feb 14, 2016
23 posts
14 upvotes
Been using my Nvidia for over a year now, blows everything else out of the water

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)