Expired Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] MXQ-4K Unlicensed Android 8.1 on TV Box Amlogic S905W 1GB/8GB $30 (FS)

Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19162 posts
6044 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
One Shield TV is worth two dozen of these cheap things, don't even bother wasting your money on anything else.

I've also been unable to trust actually logging in with my Google account on any of these Chinese boxes containing firmware of dubious at best origins.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11402 posts
2862 upvotes
C21H30O2 wrote: Been using my Nvidia for over a year now, blows everything else out of the water
Would love to get the shield, but for my uses, the Miboxes and 4K firesticks have more than been suitable enough.
What's the best price on a shield? They must be currently in short supply etc... I thought Amazon had them for around $200 in the past... there are only a few listings and Newegg CA and Amazon CA have them between $300 and something and $500.

Actually, looks like they have changed to a simple dongle style as well, still at the $200 price point, the other prices were for the older style console type. IS there much performance difference in them?
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9129 posts
1808 upvotes
Winnipeg
not horrible just remember with only 1gb of ram usb 2 and 100 lan and of course the poor wifi that goes with these devices. Well there's not much outside of libreelec or coreelec to merit it and I don't know how long or high support for linux kernel it will goto but the most mature around is still mostly just 3.14 maybe 4.x. etc

But I wager you possibly could run an armbian and pihole and maybe home assitant on it so for 30 bucks. Or I wager you could use libreelec or coreelec and just run them in docker if you can't find a working image easily.

If you want latest kernel I'd start looking here
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12162-s ... rk-aml-aw/

remember it runs 17.3 kodi in android as its the most flexible for this soc. while it can run 18.x in android it loses certain abilities because kodi no longer adds aml hacks to fix playback issues properly its all based on the firmware fixes in android api. Same for libreelec and kernel after 3.14. thats why there is coreelec.
Last edited by lead on Jan 22nd, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Penalty Box
Apr 28, 2017
1483 posts
1806 upvotes
Hilarious people commenting about Nvidia shield. Comparing a $280 box vs a $30 box? Give your heads a shake
Nov 6, 2006
219 posts
117 upvotes
Coquitlam
User381785 wrote: Hilarious people commenting about Nvidia shield. Comparing a $280 box vs a $30 box? Give your heads a shake
Yup, ridiculous. But people suggesting Firestick 4K are not wrong. Skip this android TV box and get a firestick.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11402 posts
2862 upvotes
User381785 wrote: Hilarious people commenting about Nvidia shield. Comparing a $280 box vs a $30 box? Give your heads a shake
I do understand that sentiment, but I think most of the comments are to do it right, ONCE...
Over the years I have gone through well over $200 in Android boxes... either sold them or ditched them. First one I bought at the mall all set up, $160 all in, first weekend, we more than got our money's worth by watching several movies on kodi that were still not out on DVD or BR, in great quality. But soon support for that went by the way side.
I am more than happy with my Mibox's and my Firesticks, but would still love to get a shield, for the gaming aspect of it as well.

The point with most people promoting the Shield is to spend the money right, the first time, up front and be done. It's an investment, that will continue to get viable updates as opposed to a cheaper option that will frustrate the hell out of you and eventually get tossed only to start the cycle over again.

But, the Firestick 4K @ $35 is the BEST option for those on a budget that are looking for TV and Movies.
Even when it goes on sale for $50, still worth it.

Aug 8, 2019
341 posts
195 upvotes
How do the TV or movie selection work? You have to pay for each one?
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11402 posts
2862 upvotes
roleless wrote: How do the TV or movie selection work? You have to pay for each one?
Not sure if it can be discussed in detail here, but if you know much about Kodi, there is that, and then IPTV and CYBERFLIX (or variants) are other sources of entertainment

Jun 30, 2004
248 posts
24 upvotes
Caerus wrote: I don't think anything with 1GB RAM was worth it in 2015, let alone 2020.
Not true. I've an even older model with slower processor and 1GB RAM, still works flawless with coreElec.
Dec 2, 2004
651 posts
553 upvotes
Not enough RAM (1GB) / onboard storage (8GB) for year 2020 ... already obsolete ... however, good 1080p FILE media player, can attach USB Hard Drive for your Media file collection or connect to your shared LAN folder and it's only $30... possible kodi streamer for the knowledgable ...

Compared to Firestick 4k @ $35 - this is a great WiFi streaming device (must have good WiFi Strength) - to attach a USB device or LAN would increase the cost and it would look like an octopus ... (~$20 usb cable, ~$20 for LAN) ... also, Amazon Alexa voice spyware ...

combine both of the above would yield an nvidia shield, but cost is $200 ...

buy what you need the device for and your budget ...
Last edited by frugal69 on Jan 22nd, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
7512 posts
3570 upvotes
Toronto
At this price just use Chromecast or a fire stick, you will pull your hair out dealing with these cheap Chinese boxes.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1305 posts
430 upvotes
We have 3 of these 1G box at home that are now too slow to be any useful. They were ok 3-4 years ago.

Like many others have said, we have 2 Fire TV 4k and they are way way better.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2130 posts
2048 upvotes
Vancouver
Very good price for a mediocre box. It it least has an Amlogic 905 chip, although it's the slightly cheaper and slower W version introduced 2 years ago. The 1 Gbyte memory and 8 Gbytes storage is pretty low spec, but still usable for many applications. The WiFi on these boxes is pretty crappy, limited to N speeds and using a minimal single antenna. It has Android 8 installed, which is reasonably up-to-date, but don't expect any future updates, and don't expect any support. The software load is irrelevant, since you should delete it and reload it with your own fresh software before using.

If you are looking for a cheap, basic Android media player, or a lightweight Linux server to run something like Home Assistant or OpenHab, this will do the job. Please ignore all the people who chime into every thread about a cheap Android media player to suggest that you should buy Nvidia Shield at many times the price because it's the only one good enough, or that it has to run official Android TV, or that an Amazon Fire Stick running FireOS would be better etc.. Alternatives exist because one size does not fit all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9129 posts
1808 upvotes
Winnipeg
again its only 1gb of ram its 8gb of nand and its only 100lan and usb 2.0. Its a cheap alternative to a rpi 3 with a few less choices of usages but again perhaps with some tinkering and digging its a cheap pihole since even a zero is 10 plus 11 with shipping then add a usb cable sd card and ethernet to micro usb adapter just to run pihole.You could also run a cheap retropie too not as simple as whats available for rpi but some googling i'm sure you'll find how.
https://mxqproject.com/retropie-for-aml ... -and-s912/

This isn't to be compared to a firestick or shield or any licensed 4k streamer since this isn't a licensed 4k streamer its not going to playback hd subscription based subs.
Mar 13, 2013
229 posts
75 upvotes
LONDON
For kodi-only usage, check out coreelec and thank me later Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes