Expired Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] MXQ-4K Unlicensed Android 8.1 on TV Box Amlogic S905W 1GB/8GB $30 (FS)

Jun 13, 2019
63 posts
35 upvotes
NVidia Shield is great for its performance and graphics with Tegra processor, and it's number 1 Android TV no doubt, but I still doubt a little bit about game-compatibility of that processor. Is it better nowaday, or it still needs to have a private area for Tegra-compatible games ?
Mibox S is good too, but I heard that its software is not update to latest.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1106 posts
556 upvotes
ottawa
User381785 wrote: Hilarious people commenting about Nvidia shield. Comparing a $280 box vs a $30 box? Give your heads a shake
I think it's more to give awareness on the benefits of paying more for a superior experience.

I've personally tried the cheap boxes, chromecast, and then nvidia shield and I can say it was worth any premium. Never been slow, use it as a tinycam webserver, plugged a large HDD in and use it as a mini file server. It's great. If people want to get the piece of hardware in OP go for it, but I would appreciate other people's perspectives before spending money on an item.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19293 posts
7410 upvotes
Toronto
Get something that has at least the power of a S905x3 chip and 4GB ram. It won't cost $30 but will be well worth it.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19293 posts
7410 upvotes
Toronto
User381785 wrote: Hilarious people commenting about Nvidia shield. Comparing a $280 box vs a $30 box? Give your heads a shake
Honestly, it is wasteful to spend on both this box and the shield. It is not necessary to pay $280 for a capable android box. At the same time, spending $30 is a total waste of $30. Actually when you look at it, the shield is a greater waste of money. That said, something in the $60-80 range with 4GB ram and 905x3 or 905x4 CPU is not that hard to find.
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2065 posts
3166 upvotes
will888 wrote: Honestly, it is wasteful to spend on both this box and the shield. It is not necessary to pay $280 for a capable android box. At the same time, spending $30 is a total waste of $30. Actually when you look at it, the shield is a greater waste of money. That said, something in the $60-80 range with 4GB ram and 905x3 or 905x4 CPU is not that hard to find.
Android has the compatibility factor going for it, but I believe that if you want to be able to absolutely everything, hooking up a desktop or laptop computer will give you more options. The experience, however, wouldn't be optimized for watching video. I find that Fire tv is a good compromise in the sense that most things that I want to do will work on it. For the odd time that there isn't a Fire Tv app/channel available, and old desktop computer fills the void nicely. Miracast works well on Fire tv, although many phones don't support that.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19293 posts
7410 upvotes
Toronto
computergeek541 wrote: Android has the compatibility factor going for it, but I believe that if you want to be able to absolutely everything, hooking up a desktop or laptop computer will give you more options. The experience, however, wouldn't be optimized for watching video. I find that Fire tv is a good compromise in the sense that most things that I want to do will work on it. For the odd time that there isn't a Fire Tv app/channel available, and old desktop computer fills the void nicely. Miracast works well on Fire tv, although many phones don't support that.
I used an old PC for watching video for the longest. Eventually, the cost of electricity and fan noise put an end to that. I can run a 5W android box or 75W PC. The fire stick is pretty weak too with so little ram. I don't like the idea of Alexa knowing everything that I watch. Sorry my privacy still matters even if Alexa already knows way too much about me.
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2065 posts
3166 upvotes
will888 wrote: I used an old PC for watching video for the longest. Eventually, the cost of electricity and fan noise put an end to that. I can run a 5W android box or 75W PC. The fire stick is pretty weak too with so little ram. I don't like the idea of Alexa knowing everything that I watch. Sorry my privacy still matters even if Alexa already knows way too much about me.
Is Google knowing everything about you any better? I guess you could disable some app permissions in Android.
Dec 2, 2004
653 posts
556 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote: Is Google knowing everything about you any better? I guess you could disable some app permissions in Android.
Android TV can run with or without internet, depending on what you want to do... not so much with Fire TV 4k ...

Fire TV 4k without WiFi is useless ...
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2065 posts
3166 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: Android TV can run with or without internet, depending on what you want to do... not so much with Fire TV 4k ...

Fire TV 4k without WiFi is useless ...
You would still need to get the content in some way or another, whether it's by using an internet connection, pre-downloading the content, or by someone handing it to you on a memory stick. I would imagine that most of the time, you'd want an internet connection so that you can stream.
Dec 2, 2004
653 posts
556 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote: You would still need to get the content in some way or another, whether it's by using an internet connection, pre-downloading the content, or by someone handing it to you on a memory stick. I would imagine that most of the time, you'd want an internet connection so that you can stream.
Apologies, previous message was not properly phrased regarding spying.

Once the Fire TV 4k is connected to the internet, the microphone is active and thus, exposing yourself to spying 24/7. Also, subscription to Amazon, HULU, DISNEY+, Netflix, CRAVE TV, etc is required for Fire TV 4k ...

Using an android box does not REQUIRE an internet connection, thus bypassing spying. I can use this in my RV, cottage etc .. which does not have WiFi ... can just plug usb stick with my media and play all I want ... MP3 AVI etc ...
Dec 27, 2007
19819 posts
10911 upvotes
Kitchener
Lots of the usual misconceptions in this threads:

Here are few facts from 2018
aasoror wrote: "here is one more $50 unlicensed Android based box that:
- cost about half the cheapest licensed proper Android TV device out there.
- fulfilled by amazon so can be returned if you don't like it.
- will work with Kodi in 4K.
- runs most/all your favorite piracy addons.
- works with most iptv services.
- probably have a pure linux build downloadable from somewhere.
- has Ethernet for crappy wifi and spdif for legacy sound bars.
- running a touch based phone/tablet OS blown up to your big screen.
- comes with a crappy remote that will need to be replaced with mouse/keyboard combo of some sort.
- minimal/no support and is heavily DIY
- comes with a hacked/injected version of google playstore.
- wont ever run in 4K/FHD from any "copy protected" streaming service on Android including YT, NF, Amazon Prime or your cable provider streaming app (no widevine L1 or DHCP 2.2 key).
- wont (unless hacked) bit stream HD audio."
- This particular box is based on S905W (first gen S9 from 2017), 4K playback is capped to 30hz and isn't capable of decoding VP9 videos (YT 4K) and has no advertised BT capabilities.
- It's $30 box and is backed with primecables solid return policy (they do cover defects but not sure about buyer's remorse).
- 1GB will be the bottleneck unless you are moving to a pure Linux build.

Some of the myths:

- It's either cheapo piracy boxes or ShieldTV. Nah, ShieldTV is probably an overkill for most streaming scenarios (but it remains the best box money can buy), if you need to run any licensed/DRM'ed content at HD/4K (even if on free services) you need a licensed box, mibox-s (with ancient yet capable S905x) is $90 or so from CanadaComputers, it runs licensed AndroidTV Pie (but lacks HD audio bitstreaming) but I stopped recommending it (unless chromecast capabilities is a must) as soon as Google/Amazon feud was sorted out, now FireTV/FireTV 4K ($35/$55 regular sale prices) that can already access all licensed content and now can access YT and Google Play movie purchases in 4K/HDR for half the price of a mibox-S (still no HD audio bitstreaming).

And regarding the firestick:

- Firestick is useless without internet connection/streaming services. Nah, Firestick fully works for local streaming, even the launcher (home screen) that pushes streaming services is replacable (without the need to root), furthermore, it can be rooted.
- Alexa is spying on you. Yeah the remote mic is always on, but skeptics can just ditch the remote for the phone firetv remote control app, or use a USB/BT multimedia keyboard/remote or even open the remote and remove the mic. Also (once rooted) Alexa functionality can be totally disabled.
- Missing ethernet is a show stopper. That actually depends on your router, we had no issues streaming 30GB 4K rips from local NAS over wifi ac on the firetv 4k, with that said an OTG cable coupled with ethernet equipped USB hubs can purchased cheaply from amazon (adds ethernet, external storage and wireless peripherals).

Long story short, unless you are going pure linux, the $30 for the 1GB S905w box is money down the drain, if it's piracy box you want go with a better equipped one from amazon if you hit the $55 mark when searching then go with firetv stick 4K (which will give you premium content and will work for piracy needs as well).
Jan 7, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
CanadaCPU wrote: Guys just buy an Nvidia Shield TV and be done with it. Nothing else even comes close, they are continually updated and supported, and they aren't expensive.

Or if all you want to do is add Netflix to your TV, do it with a Fire TV stick or Chromecast.
I agree. Yes the price tag is a little steep, but if you can get it on sale, totally worth it just knowing that he box is actually supported/updated and has tons of support online for. These Mibox/MXQ/China Android boxes frustrated me because I never really knew what was happening inside when I have a problem (ex: an add-on doesn't work- is it my hardware or the app itself, etc..). The new Nvidia Shield is going on sale this week from the flyer I saw, I think at $168 or something, great price to get this device (only caveat - no USB ports)
Dec 2, 2004
653 posts
556 upvotes
frango wrote: I agree. Yes the price tag is a little steep, but if you can get it on sale, totally worth it just knowing that he box is actually supported/updated and has tons of support online for. These Mibox/MXQ/China Android boxes frustrated me because I never really knew what was happening inside when I have a problem (ex: an add-on doesn't work- is it my hardware or the app itself, etc..). The new Nvidia Shield is going on sale this week from the flyer I saw, I think at $168 or something, great price to get this device (only caveat - no USB ports)
Xbox one S > Shield ...

Bluray, 4k, usb port, streaming, gaming ...