Expired Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] MXQ-4K Unlicensed Android 8.1 on TV Box Amlogic S905W 1GB/8GB $30 (FS)

Dec 27, 2007
19828 posts
10932 upvotes
Kitchener
knapper wrote: I am not aware of anything at this price point that would work
The box I linked to is $2 more and is by far way more usable :)
Dec 27, 2007
19828 posts
10932 upvotes
Kitchener
immad01 wrote:
i bought two generic android box two years ago, they have 2 gig ram each, i have both netflix and disney + running on them both without any issue.
delacruzjeff wrote: Yeah you can install the app but not from Google Playstore. It has to be side loaded or using an APK. Plus you’ll need a wireless keyboard to use them properly unlike the certified device I mentioned.
That's a common misconception, for DRM'ed content to work on Android (be it free or not) you need widevine L1 (hardware level) + HDCP key (1.x for HD and 2.2 for 4K) + possible further whitelisting. Even if the app pre/side-loaded, if these requirements fail the app will usually stream at lower quality (480p or 720p at best) if at all regardless of the output resolution reported to the TV.

netflix, primevideo, crave, even the free YT, will all revert to lower streaming quality on unlicensed boxes. So if one can't even get HD from these boxes what value do they have (when it comes to legit streaming) vs. even the basic firetv stick (which will get you FHD + 5.1 DD on any legit streaming service you can think about). Unlicensed boxes do have their usages but for sure legit streaming isn't one of them.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11402 posts
2862 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Funny the discount on the shield is the actual price of the item of this thread :)
See... BIG BROTHER... always watching!
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9138 posts
1817 upvotes
Winnipeg
tuffenough wrote: Do you have a link to where you bought this? Seems to have been removed from the armbian thread.
I didn't order his exact link but I remember it was an x95 model 4gb/32gb check this out its the model(PM) can't post the link its from aliepxress which I think is banned isn't it? is it the same as ebay just don't post as a hot deal?

The one I think I grabbed was from another china site you can't post here. I had points for bucks to drop it well below fifty so I figured what the hell use them or waste them and bought a similar model maybe the dtb will be off but I can figure something out coreelec is pretty flexible. There never spot on but flexible and I could care less if it effects wifi working etc anyway for my needs I'll have it disabled. Honestly the next new builds all coming from compilers like bable150 will be all universal for all amlogic,rockchip,allwinner. So the dtb's for your remotes will probably not work anyway and each person has to config controller map for there boxes. Its a pain but its a done once kinda thing from now on and there will be potential pools available for known boxes people share you can use instead. Compared to rpi builds....its sloppy but its the way things are its just too time consuming for compilers to have builds for all these generic devices.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9138 posts
1817 upvotes
Winnipeg
tuffenough wrote: Do you have a link to where you bought this? Seems to have been removed from the armbian thread.
I did find one for 62 bucks prime freeshipping next day.
https://www.amazon.ca/Android-TaNix-Dua ... 501&sr=8-7

its got the usb 3 and the 1000 lan and 4gb with 64gb nand but its not the same model brand x95 that babl150 pointed to.So can't say how well correlec will work but technically should. s905-x3 is pretty new new as s922 so its all still wip for coreelec.

But with a working linux build with kodi its got enough ponies to run pihole in docker along with emby server and share up as a nas with its usb 3.0 at a very reasonable rate for a home user. Probably would do Home assistant too in docker as well. So for 62 bucks your getting some extra bang to merit the extra cost. I wager netflix addon and prime in linux kodi would max at 720p on a a55 soc.
Last edited by lead on Jan 24th, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 27, 2007
19828 posts
10932 upvotes
Kitchener
jackass_ca wrote: See... BIG BROTHER... always watching!
In all honesty, if that $30 sale on a $200 device was intended to lure people eyeing a $30 streamer then it wouldn't a BIG BROTHER move but rather a DELUSIONAL BROTHER one :)
"Dear big brother monitoring the thread .. get real or get out man"
Dec 27, 2007
19828 posts
10932 upvotes
Kitchener
lead wrote: what I hate is the lost in translation in all these adds on these boxes that makes me question if your getting whats advertised. Now why advertise "Support Video Encoder for h265" Does it? really? maybe h264 it might natively somewhere but how and using what? Decoding yes but encoding...?? I think s922 does and maybe s905x3(a55) maybe but I don't remember any substantiated spec release that a53 socs support h265 encoding. Its all upto 1080p h264.
I wouldn't really bother with any of the text on these listings, these are all reference specs anyway, none of these sellers has the capacity to make a custom order they just pick from whatever available and get a brand name silk screened (if at all).