Expired Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] Super Thin Indoor TV Antenna $4.99 FS

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2018 5:02 pm
Jul 11, 2009
384 posts
Too bad its back to the same price as amazon.ca - $159.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1297 posts
Montreal, QC
ben35 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 10:28 am
If I don't have a tuner - do I need a home theater receiver with a tuner? what options are there for TVs with no tuner.
The HDHomerun is nice, but it is pricey. If you will be feeding more than 1 TV, then it would be worth it.
However if it is just to feed a single TV and you don't need anything fancy, you can just pick up a standalone ATSC tuner.

Amazon has these 2 that I can see:
Proscan PAT102-D Digital Converter Box with Built-In ATSC Tuner
Mediasonic HW180STB HomeWorx HDTV Digital Converter Box with Media Player and Recording PVR Function

I have the mediasonic unit on an old 22" LCD I have in the kitchen. I had picked it up for $30 on sale from newegg about 2 years ago, and so far it is still working fine (Tuner has been on 24/7 for the last 2 years, and still working - I typically just turn off the TV, and never turn off the tuner). I'm not using PVR functions or anything else.. Just using it as a basic tuner. It's got it quirks, but overall it works fine so far.
I only bought it, since at the time, I switched from cable to an OTA antenna, and I was surprised that the TV only had an NTSC tuner. And I was not ready to chuck it, and it was just for the kitchen, so figured even it was crappy, it would be fine for the intended purpose. All my other TVs in the house already have an ATSC tuner, so it was just for this old one.

With amazon at least, if it doesn't work as expected, then it can go back :)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1199 posts
Thanks I just received it today and it was super easy to set up. Just needed to plug it into the tv.

I got 10 channels(well 9 cuz one is in sd and hd) but they are all crisp clear and I get all the basic ones I wanted (cbc, city, radio Canada, global, tva,and so on) .
I didnt know it would work but I also get information for "tv guide".

Dec 26, 2012
303 posts
Put it on the basement TV and I went from nothing to getting 4 out of the 6 available channels in the area. The last 2 are notoriously hard to get for some reason. Not bad at all for 5$