Primera Air has collapsed

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 11:24 am
[OP]
Apr 30, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes

Would you trust Primera Air?

Just booked tickets with Primera Air (Toronto-Paris) for 700 Cdn total for 3 people (one way only, tax incld). I am now scared after reading all the negative reviews. Has any of you traveled with this airline?
Last edited by pepe84 on May 1st, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
69 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6713 posts
4227 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I did a bit of Googling...

Right now Primera has a good safety record. So that would not deter me.
Although they are a relatively NEW player in the industry
My worries would be that they currently only have a few planes
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primera_Air
Although they seem to be buying quite a lot more this year & next

Just a few planes, means they don’t get much clout at the Airports
Or have a great back up plan when things go off the rails with scheduling
(Weather / Equipment issues)
For these reasons alone, I stay away from the Discount / Charter industry
Cause I want my flights to go as smooth as possible... not end up stranded waiting for a plane somewhere
When everyone else is flying away in front of me

For me... that will FOREVER be worth the extra money to fly with a BIG Brand name airline
Cause IMO, you get what you pay for

I would also be somewhat concerned about a new airline that expands TOO QUICKLY
Cause doing so means they could get spread too thin, or make risky decisions just in the name of expansion

Primera’s facebook page... seems to show them growing their markets a lot this Summer

As for reviews, not sure where you are looking

But I did find this decent one
https://www.alienchris.com/flying-with-primera-air/
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2029 posts
1075 upvotes
pepe84 wrote:
May 1st, 2018 2:34 pm
Just booked tickets with Primera Air (Toronto-Paris) for 700 Cdn total for 3 people (one way only, tax incld). I am now scared after reading all the negative reviews. Has any of you traveled with this airline?
So you didn't read reviews BEFORE handing over your money? *SMH*
There's no excuse for that nowadays, the Internet is your friend. I would never spend serious money on anything (hotel, airline, high-end restaurant meal) without researching first. Which is why I don't have much sympathy when I hear horror stories in the news about joke air, trashcan, and the rest of them. A few minutes on Google, Yelp, TripAdvisor could have saved you. Isn't your time and money worth that effort to make sure you aren't walking into a shitshow?

The rest of my answer would be identical to @PointsHubby so no point repeating the same things.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
To answer your question, I do read reviews before I buy but in terms of airlines I just don't bother because I have had terrible experience with "BIG brand name airlines". Given the fact that this airline was new and had not started any flight to North America before I purchased the ticket, I only read good reviews about Primera flying within Europe. The bad reviews started after the first flight to New York. Nevertheless, I am still hoping my flight will be alright, but who knows.....
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
May 1st, 2018 4:11 pm
So you didn't read reviews BEFORE handing over your money? *SMH*
There's no excuse for that nowadays, the Internet is your friend. I would never spend serious money on anything (hotel, airline, high-end restaurant meal) without researching first. Which is why I don't have much sympathy when I hear horror stories in the news about joke air, trashcan, and the rest of them. A few minutes on Google, Yelp, TripAdvisor could have saved you. Isn't your time and money worth that effort to make sure you aren't walking into a shitshow?

The rest of my answer would be identical to @PointsHubby so no point repeating the same things.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
Yeah I saw that one too and all good reviews in TripAdvisor, but the bad ones started after the first flight to North America in mid April.
PointsHubby wrote:
May 1st, 2018 3:23 pm
I did a bit of Googling...

Right now Primera has a good safety record. So that would not deter me.
Although they are a relatively NEW player in the industry
My worries would be that they currently only have a few planes
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primera_Air
Although they seem to be buying quite a lot more this year & next

Just a few planes, means they don’t get much clout at the Airports
Or have a great back up plan when things go off the rails with scheduling
(Weather / Equipment issues)
For these reasons alone, I stay away from the Discount / Charter industry
Cause I want my flights to go as smooth as possible... not end up stranded waiting for a plane somewhere
When everyone else is flying away in front of me

For me... that will FOREVER be worth the extra money to fly with a BIG Brand name airline
Cause IMO, you get what you pay for

I would also be somewhat concerned about a new airline that expands TOO QUICKLY
Cause doing so means they could get spread too thin, or make risky decisions just in the name of expansion

Primera’s facebook page... seems to show them growing their markets a lot this Summer

As for reviews, not sure where you are looking

But I did find this decent one
https://www.alienchris.com/flying-with-primera-air/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6713 posts
4227 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
RE - Primera in North America

Guessing the bad reviews (have not read them) are tied to the fact that this is a Discount Airline in a NEW unfamiliar market
(See my previous comments about clout)
Have just a few planes... so trouble here, is BIG trouble being so far from homebase
North Americans (especially Americans) are CHEAP Driven... so they want the world for nothing
Etc

BIG Brand Airlines are not perfect
They indeed often treat their customers like a number
BUT they are far more focussed on getting folks where they need to be on time than the small guys are

It’s a trade off these days with air travel ... flying is not the luxury it was meant to be (or was) in the past
Now it’s a city bus with wings
It’s like flying anywhere these days has become an inconvenience
The worst part of the vacation / trip

I much prefer paying a bit more for the bigger brandname network

Air Canada, WestJet, American Airlines, United... or any of the well known Europeans are not perfect, but I pretty much know what to expect, and am delivered that experience... no more, no less, the majority of the time

That’s what I appreciate. No crazy surprises. So I arrive where I am headed with the least amount of disturbance to my routine / expectations
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2029 posts
1075 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
May 1st, 2018 5:15 pm
Air Canada, WestJet, American Airlines, United... or any of the well known Europeans are not perfect, but I pretty much know what to expect, and am delivered that experience... no more, no less, the majority of the time
That’s what I appreciate. No crazy surprises. So I arrive where I am headed with the least amount of disturbance to my routine / expectations
I couldn't agree more. For all the hate Air Canada (and especially Rouge) gets on RFD you'd think they flew you in Hercules C-130s (and you sit on the floor) and dropped you off via parachutes, (after spending the flight being tortured by 60-year-old dominatrices brandishing whips and chains...) while somehow joke air and trashcan economy are like flying Emirates A380 first class (the poster I'm referring to knows who he is). The hate for AC and the American biggies is tiresome and pointless.

I'm no elite frequent flier; I know not to expect a luxurious experience. No full meals or one less inch of seat pitch or a lack of IFE aren't deal-breakers like they seem to be for some. But I do prefer to get to where I gotta be, on time, with minimal hassles, and with my luggage. Airlines that can't do that consistently won't get my business. Every time I've flown AC(R) or an American biggie, I got exactly that -- where I needed to be, on time, minimal hassles, with my luggage. So why wouldn't I keep flying with them? According to some here, I must be doing something wrong.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
Well I hope Primera gets the new Air Buses it ordered before my scheduled flight with them which is in a couple of month from now. I am flying from YYZ to CDG via Westjet but I had to book my return flight with Primera. I love Westjet but not AC(R) though. I have had horrible experiences with the Rouge. From being 4hrs late to cancelled flights. Anyways lets hope for the best with Primera Air!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1903 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal
The discount Icelandic-Latvian-Danish operator has ceased all activities.

The Icelandic-owned airline said it had failed to secure long-term financing, meaning it had "no choice" but to file for bankruptcy.

If you bought tickets with them, call your credit card company right now for a refund.

Unfortunately, if you have a flight booked with Primera Air, you will no longer be able to contact them via e-mail or phone if you wish to follow up with them for more information. For updates, the airline promises to provide customers with more information on its website in the coming days.

Ticket refunds

Passengers wishing to obtain a refund for unused tickets will need to contact the company directly. Passengers who booked directly with the company via either a credit, charge or debit card may alternatively be able to make a claim against their card provider. Some card providers will ask for a negative response letter confirming the position. This letter will be published shortly. Passengers may also be able to make a claim against their travel insurer.

The best article I found so far about this

From the airline

From the BBC
Last edited by Temporel on Oct 1st, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6713 posts
4227 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 3:06 pm
And I guess the answer to the OP's question is,... no.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45712063
Looks like you and I both called this game before it was even played...
My thoughts in Reply # 2 came to fruition, especially about expanding TOO QUICKLY

Meanwhile old boring AC and their regularly scheduled flight today... AC 881
Got into TO 38 Minutes late
But that’s tons better than being stranded in Paris with needing to find other arrangements last minute AT FULL FARE
And not much chance for recourse
Nov 1, 2013
222 posts
25 upvotes
I was about to book their first flight from UK to Canada but in the end decided to use first flight of westjet from Paris to Canada. A little more expensive but lot more likely to happen at least.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1391 posts
286 upvotes
They still owe me for a flight in June London to Toronto. Haven't received compensation since. Anyone else in a similar boat? Ideas for how we might be able to get some money back? Some credit cards have insurance for airline insolvency, but in this case the airline was technically solvent in June, not sure how this will work.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2029 posts
1075 upvotes
Shadow Rider wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 8:05 pm
They still owe me for a flight in June London to Toronto. Haven't received compensation since. Anyone else in a similar boat? Ideas for how we might be able to get some money back? Some credit cards have insurance for airline insolvency, but in this case the airline was technically solvent in June, not sure how this will work.
Did you also get burned by Canada 3000 and JetsGo ? Hopefully you learned your lesson and won't trust your time and money with joke airlines.