• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 11:24 am
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2020 posts
1071 upvotes
gwn wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 9:26 am
Next we opened a dispute with Visa and the agent felt pretty certain we will get a refund because nothing was received. Keeping our fingers crossed.
Hoping you do too as I'd hate for these scammers to flush your money down the toilet that was their business plan.

And I also hope this was a hard lesson learned (both by you and anybody else reading this thread) and a mistake that won't get repeated. There were enough red flags about this company that could have tipped you off to run and not walk away.
Dec 12, 2017
2 posts
Mississauga
Just found out Primera Air got bankrupt and my husband and I were going to fly to London tomorrow evening for Thanksgiving - Well not anymore!!
My husband booked it through gotogate.co.uk (hoping we were getting a good deal - $1,300CAD round trip from YYZ to LHR for 2 adults!) and now cannot get refund or any compensation...Crying Face

Would anyone have a good deal for a single flight trip from YYZ to LHR for tomorrow? (04-Oct-2018)
Just trying to cut our losses as we've booked everything for our trip already. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2017 posts
1838 upvotes
Montreal
So sad, I feel your pain.

Did you contact gotogate? Were they of any help?

Did you check the links further up the thread to know as much as you can to figure out if there is any way at least to try to get some money back even through European channels?

Did you contact what you booked already in London to try to explain and get to cancel with at least a partial refund?

"Would anyone have a good deal for a single flight trip from YYZ to LHR for tomorrow? (04-Oct-2018)"

You know that the answer is already baked inside that question right?

You are going to fly last minute anyway? Don't you think it's putting good money after bad?

Wouldn't it be better just to cut your losses right here and plan another vacation in the future?

With what happened already, do you really think it's going to be fun anyway?

I don't mean to be a downer just trying to help.
Feb 11, 2009
962 posts
219 upvotes
ngcarman wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 7:19 pm
Just found out Primera Air got bankrupt and my husband and I were going to fly to London tomorrow evening for Thanksgiving - Well not anymore!!
My husband booked it through gotogate.co.uk (hoping we were getting a good deal - $1,300CAD round trip from YYZ to LHR for 2 adults!) and now cannot get refund or any compensation...Crying Face

Would anyone have a good deal for a single flight trip from YYZ to LHR for tomorrow? (04-Oct-2018)
Just trying to cut our losses as we've booked everything for our trip already. :facepalm:
Can you fly somewhere else in Europe for cheaper and take the train to London?
the train tickets last minute won't be cheap either, but it gives you options.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2017 posts
1838 upvotes
Montreal
4seasonscentre wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 9:33 pm
Can you fly somewhere else in Europe for cheaper and take the train to London?
the train tickets last minute won't be cheap either, but it gives you options.

Sorry but, are you kidding? :)

With less than 24 hours to go?

Edit: actually not that dumb I see on Google flights YYZ to Glasgow GLA Non-Stop departure 9:10pm Oct 4-8 round trip $1,078 per person instead of $1,500 p.p. to London.

But how much more for the train tickets plus one day accommodation to sleep at least a little in Glasgow?

On a 4 day trip? Ahhh! Forget about it!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2020 posts
1071 upvotes
ngcarman wrote:

I say your whole trip is a writeoff. You made two HUGE mistakes which anybody who has read this board for awhile, would know not to make:

1- Don't deal with joke airlines
2- Don't buy plane tickets from third party resellers.

Lesson learned for next time. I hope.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2017 posts
1838 upvotes
Montreal
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 12:36 am
I say your whole trip is a writeoff. You made two HUGE mistakes which anybody who has read this board for awhile, would know not to make:

1- Don't deal with joke airlines
2- Don't buy plane tickets from third party resellers.

Lesson learned for next time. I hope.

Whoa! Don't you think you're a little rough here considering the situation?

Primera was an established airline operating for 15 years already and with many planes.

Plus GotoGate is a known travel agency.

How many people knew about this thread with only 9 posts in 5 months before you posted about the bankruptcy.

I could have been caught! And many others also. I wish it doesn't happen to you for something else.

Many people use those travel agencies via Momondo.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2020 posts
1071 upvotes
Temporel wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 2:19 am
Whoa! Don't you think you're a little rough here considering the situation?

Primera was an established airline operating for 15 years already and with many planes.

Plus GotoGate is a known travel agency.

How many people knew about this thread with only 9 posts in 5 months before you posted about the bankruptcy.

I could have been caught! And many others also. I wish it doesn't happen to you for something else.

Many people use those travel agencies via Momondo.
When I said "this board" I meant the Travel board on RFD, not just this thread.

Here's some recommended reading for you:

primera-air-london-toronto-stn-yyz-2196740/#p29377194
united-forces-another-passenger-off-2166661/#p28859657

There are others but these two cover airlines and to a lesser extent, hotels. The first one (from late May!) should have tipped the OP off to run, not walk, away from Primera.
Dec 12, 2017
2 posts
Mississauga
Thanks for your replies, guys.

Like Temporel says, we agreed best thing to do is give it a miss and try to cancel bookings. We gave Gotogate a call, they were actually fairly helpful although we won't be able to get any money back, plus there will be a cancellation fee... Train tickets and car rental are non refundable...ahh well. Just bad luck. At least we're not stranded on the way back.

Just not sure what to do in the future - Primera air didn't seem like a dodgy airline... To Book or Not to Book with a budget online air agency again?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1128 posts
371 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ngcarman wrote:

I'd call your credit card issuer to start. Gotogate and other U.K. OTAs seem to be best avoided.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2017 posts
1838 upvotes
Montreal
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 6:20 am
When I said "this board" I meant the Travel board on RFD, not just this thread. Here's some recommended reading for you:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/primera ... #p29377194
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/united- ... #p28859657

There are others but these two cover airlines and to a lesser extent, hotels. The first one (from late May!) should have tipped the OP off to run, not walk, away from Primera.

That's a pretty daft comment!

Is everybody supposed to know about every thread ever posted on this "board" about every company?

And what does United have to do with this anyway?

Thanks for dancing on someone's else grave singing "I've told you so"!

I'm not surprised you are in the Penalty box. Bad member!
Jan 16, 2009
1 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi guys, thought I will share my story with Primera Air and hope it can help someone out there.
My family and I booked tickets with Primera Air directly flying out Oct12 to Paris and flying back to Toronto Oct29. Luckily I found out they went bankrupt on the first day (Oct 1) as they announced it through social media post. So I did the following:
1. Rebooked plane tickets ($685 per person with Air Transat instead of $430 per person w/ Primera Air). I consider the price is still reasonable for return ticket. I had to choose fly back on Oct30 to get the price as Oct29 would be another $200 more each person.
2. Called my credit card company MBNA and explained them the situation on Oct 2. When I checked my account today, the full refund was charged back to me . Try to contact your credit card company directly so they will dispute it on your behalf.
3. Our car rental needs to be extended to Oct30 so I called Expedia today to update it. Expedia ended up cancel the original booking and rebooked the car rental to include one extra day as it can't modify an existing booking. Expedia always has free cancellation for car rentals if you cancel 6 hrs ahead of car pick up time.

My family still didn't know what happened plus it's my mom's first time to Europe so I didn't want to upset them before the trip. But we are pretty blessed the trip is intact as of now. Hope anyone also affected by Primera will be able to minimize the loss too. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2020 posts
1071 upvotes
Temporel wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 2:17 pm
Is everybody supposed to know about every thread ever posted on this "board" about every company?
Thanks for dancing on someone's else grave singing "I've told you so"!
I'm not surprised you are in the Penalty box. Bad member!
My point was, a few minutes on Google searching for "the dirt" on this airline would have saved these posters time and money lost to the black hole that is Primera. I was not suggesting you have to read every post on RFD, but to keep it ontopic, I used 2 RFD thread to cover the topic.

Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2017 posts
1838 upvotes
Montreal
ngcarman wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 7:27 am
Thanks for your replies, guys.

Like Temporel says, we agreed best thing to do is give it a miss and try to cancel bookings. We gave Gotogate a call, they were actually fairly helpful although we won't be able to get any money back, plus there will be a cancellation fee... Train tickets and car rental are non refundable...ahh well. Just bad luck. At least we're not stranded on the way back.

Just not sure what to do in the future - Primera air didn't seem like a dodgy airline... To Book or Not to Book with a budget online air agency again?

The reality is you never know! All you can do is maybe Google "xyz" and "problem". But who does that before each transaction they do? Use a credit card that offers protection? Buy insurance? But in the end all you can do is hope it works out.

I bought tickets with Iceland Air, a small foreign company operating for years but you never know, they could have gone into bankruptcy.

I flew with Alitalia who is? in bankruptcy or was? or has many times been saved by the Italian government?

I flew with Eastern Airline to NYC in 1989 right before it went bankrupt.

They don't telegraph in advance when an airline company (or any other business for that matter) is about to go belly-up.

Who would have thought such a venerable institution as Eaton’s would disappear? And what about Sears? They sold extended warranties until the last minute and many people got caught. I Googled “famous company bankruptcies” here are a few: GM, Enron, Lehman Brothers, Nortel (Northern Telecom), Toys R Us, Blockbuster, Polaroid, Kodak, Radio Shack, You know what, it’s kind of funny to look at the list, there are so many! PanAm, Steinberg’s, Woolworth's, Trans World Airlines, Us Air, Trump Entertainment Resorts, Chrysler, Etc.
Last edited by Temporel on Oct 5th, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.