Primera Air has collapsed

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 11:24 am
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1125 posts
371 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Pan Am's demise was long anticipated. Selling trans=Pacific routes to United, London Heathrow landing rights to AA and other European routes to Delta. I booked Aerolineas Argentinas to Argentina in 1991 precisely because PA was in trouble. Kngfisher and Jet Airways were rumored to be in trouble way before they even really got started.

Sears has long been anticipated to disappear. It's been managed for its real estate (especially in the U.S.) for over a decade.
Temporel wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 12:32 am
Who would have thought such a venerable institution as Eaton’s would disappear? And what about Sears? They sold extended warranties until the last minute and many people got caught. I Googled “famous company bankruptcies” here are a few: GM, Enron, Lehman Brothers, Nortel (Northern Telecom), Toys R Us, Future Shop, Blockbuster, Polaroid, Kodak, Texaco, Compaq Computers, Radio Shack, You know what, it’s kind of funny to look at the list, there are so many! PanAm, Steinberg’s, Woolworth's, Trans World Airlines, Us Air, Trump Entertainment Resorts, Chrysler, Etc.
Compaq didn't fold or go bankrupt it got acquired by HP
Future Shop was acquired by Best Buy then closed (Best Buy assuming FS liabilities)
Texaco was acquired by Chevron (natural since they long had the Cal-Tex partnership).

U.S. airlines and auto manufacturers go bankrupt routinely. Nothing new.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2015 posts
1839 upvotes
Montreal
thriftshopper wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 1:24 am
Pan Am's demise was long anticipated. Selling trans=Pacific routes to United, London Heathrow landing rights to AA and other European routes to Delta. I booked Aerolineas Argentinas to Argentina in 1991 precisely because PA was in trouble. Kngfisher and Jet Airways were rumored to be in trouble way before they even really got started.

Sears has long been anticipated to disappear. It's been managed for its real estate (especially in the U.S.) for over a decade.

Compaq didn't fold or go bankrupt it got acquired by HP
Future Shop was acquired by Best Buy then closed (Best Buy assuming FS liabilities)
Texaco was acquired by Chevron (natural since they long had the Cal-Tex partnership).

U.S. airlines and auto manufacturers go bankrupt routinely. Nothing new.

O.K., corrected.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1125 posts
371 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Temporel wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 1:36 am
O.K., corrected.
TWA was also expected once Carl Icahn got his hands on it. Sold off London Heathrow landing rights to UA IIRC at the same time PA sold its rights to AA. Hub of St Louis in the middle of no where. Eastern? Frank Lorenzo for financial reasons. The U.S. passed a law that essentially forbade only him from ever running another airline.

Another prediction that I wouldn;'t have boldly made 10 years ago: The U.S.A. in its current political structure, geographical limits and/or name will not exist in 10-20 years.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2015 posts
1839 upvotes
Montreal
Norwegian is offering repatriation fares to those affected by Primera.

Passengers can book reduced fares for travel up to 14th October.

Primera customers can call the dedicated Norwegian hotline on +47 210 16771

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgol ... 01d845640f

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... passengers
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2015 posts
1839 upvotes
Montreal
"Every passenger owed money by Primera is an unsecured creditor. Email your claim to primera@dlapiper.com, but don't hold your breath."

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

That Simon Calder guy seems to be knowledgeable and gives good tips like: "if you are stranded in the US and need to get home urgently do NOT book a one-way flight with BA or Virgin; they price one-ways at above the lowest return fare."

I'm not sure I always looked at round-trip prices when I needed a one-way fare. D'oh! :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1251 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 12:26 pm
"Every passenger owed money by Primera is an unsecured creditor. Email your claim to primera@dlapiper.com, but don't hold your breath."

That Simon Calder guy seems to be knowledgeable and gives good tips like: "if you are stranded in the US and need to get home urgently do NOT book a one-way flight with BA or Virgin; they price one-ways at above the lowest return fare."

He's been in the travel business for a long time and knows his stuff. He appears on tv quite a lot.

I'm not sure I always looked at round-trip prices when I needed a one-way fare. D'oh! :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1251 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 11:26 am
Norwegian is offering repatriation fares to those affected by Primera.

Passengers can book reduced fares for travel up to 14th October.

Primera customers can call the dedicated Norwegian hotline on +47 210 16771

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgol ... 01d845640f

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... passengers
Of course this is good pr for Norwegian but another reason why I really like them. Flew with them last year and about three days later flew easyjet and they were so much better in every way.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3588 posts
155 upvotes
Mississauga
Norwegian is also rumoured to have cashflow problems (over expansion + problems with its 787 Dreamliner)
It would be a cruel twist if those repatriation flights get cancelled.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6654 posts
4176 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Temporel wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 12:26 pm

Simon Calder is a UK based travel writer...

I would be far more curious if Gábor Lukacs (the Cdn Air Passenger Rights Advocate) has anything to say on the Primera situation... and advice for Cdns who are stranded on how to proceed ... so far I haven’t seen him mentioned in any news article on the issue
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2019 posts
1070 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 3:04 pm
I would be far more curious if Gábor Lukacs (the Cdn Air Passenger Rights Advocate) has anything to say on the Primera situation... and advice for Cdns who are stranded on how to proceed ... so far I haven’t seen him mentioned in any news article on the issue
Probably because this is one situation where he doesn't have an answer. He always recommends flying with Euro-owned carriers because by EU law they have to compensate at much better terms than North American carriers. However, despite being European, Primera is bankrupt and no longer exists. The Americans would call it a Chapter 7, not an 11. You're no longer passengers, you're creditors... not a good place to be when a bankrupt company owes you money.

Have to wonder how many Canadians (or Americans) picked Primera because of Gabor...

All goes back to what keep saying. Don't fly with joke airlines like this one. Travel is stressful enough as it is, don't add more points of failure.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7400 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: "Every passenger owed money by Primera is an unsecured creditor. Email your claim to primera@dlapiper.com, but don't hold your breath."

Legit I have no idea if your being sarcastic or not. I almost missed my flight home from Europe and was weighing the options of flying home from another airport one way in Italy due to a no show bus.

One way ticket was $3700 va $1800 return round trip where I would presumably not take the return (or book it far out and decide later if it made a sense ).

I’d say good advice. Again not sure if you were being serious.

I won’t fly rookie airlines across ponds.tribborder maybe.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2015 posts
1839 upvotes
Montreal
GangStarr wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 9:08 pm
Legit I have no idea if your being sarcastic or not. I’d say good advice. Again not sure if you were being serious. (...)

Oh, no! I wasn't sarcastic at all. Seriously, I watched a few of that guy's videos and read a few of his posts and I found it interesting.

And the Face Palm was directed at me for I'm not sure I have always checked round-trip prices when I needed a One Way.

Sorry if I wasn't clearer, I realize it's easy to be misunderstood.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3891 posts
344 upvotes
Scarborough
twotterdhc6 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 1:43 pm
Norwegian is also rumoured to have cashflow problems (over expansion + problems with its 787 Dreamliner)
It would be a cruel twist if those repatriation flights get cancelled.
Yeah. Pretty sure they were leasing A380 with suites during the 787 engine troubles
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2018
1349 posts
631 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 9:01 am
Yeah. Pretty sure they were leasing A380 with suites during the 787 engine troubles
Because of using the A380 they've had to pay a lot in penalties due to delays from their aggressive turnaround time and much longer boarding/deboarding a large plane and fewer available gates to service the A380
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2019 posts
1070 upvotes
Interesting video that might clue you in on who NOT to trust for your next trip: