Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Princess Auto

100A Battery Load Tester $13.65 **HOT**

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2021 10:36 pm
Jul 3, 2017
232 posts
354 upvotes
YYC

[Princess Auto] 100A Battery Load Tester $13.65 **HOT**

I was at SE Calgary Princess Auto and noticed this deal.
Website shows regular price, but in-store sticker says otherwise (see attached picture)

I bought this one at $19.99 about 6-7 years ago and it's been working well to test health of the battery and associated parts. Not super high tech, but it gives you some idea where to start looking if you are having electrical issues. Plus it's analog so don't have to worry about digital screen not working in sub-zero weather.

Some YT videos on how to use the tester.

Images
  • IMG_7573.jpg
72 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
Not a bad price, but 75% of drivers have no clue how to change dead battery, so this tester will offer no help. If it's dead, the car won't start, they call CAA, pay $$$$ and it's done. Up voted - just for PA's awesome return policy Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
Jan 1, 2007
505 posts
57 upvotes
vtec300 wrote: I was at SE Calgary Princess Auto and noticed this deal.
Website shows regular price, but in-store sticker says otherwise (see attached picture)

I bought this one at $19.99 about 6-7 years ago and it's been working well to test health of the battery and associated parts. Not super high tech, but it gives you some idea where to start looking if you are having electrical issues. Plus it's analog so don't have to worry about digital screen not working in sub-zero weather.

Some YT videos on how to use the tester.

I have this too and bought at $19.99. This is an excellent price. Works well to test my battery health.
Jul 3, 2017
232 posts
354 upvotes
YYC
Tommy74 wrote: Not a bad price, but 75% of drivers have no clue how to change dead battery, so this tester will offer no help. If it's dead, the car won't start, they call CAA, pay $$$$ and it's done. Up voted - just for PA's awesome return policy Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
Agreed. Probably something to have to use once a year, like myself, to test the battery.
CT has similar unit for much more inflated price at $51.99.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 3003p.html
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4612 posts
9051 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
man I wish this was available online.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
4278 posts
3753 upvotes
Man I need this. Between a cottage rental and trailer I've got a lot of batteries to maintain (7 golf cart, 4 marine, 2 small engine), not to mention the cars.
Might bite bullet and just pay full price.
Nov 14, 2012
495 posts
196 upvotes
CALGARY
We can check the same with Multimeter too, correct me if i am wrong thanks.
Dec 26, 2015
480 posts
398 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
dealove wrote: We can check the same with Multimeter too, correct me if i am wrong thanks.
You can but require a significant setup. This is way better at that price.
Feb 2, 2010
140 posts
526 upvotes
dealove wrote: We can check the same with Multimeter too, correct me if i am wrong thanks.
A multimeter, assuming it is set to measure voltage, will measure a floating voltage. It does not load a battery down with actual current draw, which simulates a battery in use (staring, accessories, etc) of a vehicle electrical system. A load test is the only true battery test. Arguably a conductance tester gives a bit of an insight into cell condition and is able to estimate battery health and state, but an actual load test is still best.

One thing to keep in mind, this load bank is only capable of drawing 100A. A proper load test of large batteries should be at half their rated CCA (cold crank current) specification, and as many car batteries are 700-800CCA, a load tester should be able to draw more current.

Princess Auto also sells a 500A carbon pile tester, with variable current draw (up to 500A) and dual meters to see actual current draw AND voltage drop at the same time. Great tool:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/500a-ba ... 0008494007

And on sale as well.
Sep 25, 2007
100 posts
50 upvotes
You're correct, set your multimeter to DC 20v and your all set for testing 12v batteries.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tbone9999 wrote: You're correct, set your multimeter to DC 20v and your all set for testing 12v batteries.
That's incorrect! No-load testing will give you a general indication of the battery's condition IF you don't actually use the battery the way the battery was intended to be used. See posting just above yours.

In case a Youtube video is better, here's a great video that explains the difference between using a multimeter, a load tester and one of those electronic conductance testers -

Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
FrugalFruge wrote: One thing to keep in mind, this load bank is only capable of drawing 100A. A proper load test of large batteries should be at half their rated CCA (cold crank current) specification, and as many car batteries are 700-800CCA, a load tester should be able to draw more current.
Exactly. This thing isn't capable of performing a proper load test on car batteries.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2019
1109 posts
1248 upvotes
No you can't THIS IS A LOAD TESTER albeit a SMALL load tester
"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment." — Henry David Thoreau
Nov 22, 2017
136 posts
259 upvotes
For anybody wondering...you can load test your car battery with a multimeter.

Pull fuel injector fuses or disconnect power to them. Crank engine while measuring voltage. A good battery will will hold at least 9.5 volts for 30 seconds of cranking.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3167 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
I'd buy this one at this price in an instant, another valuable tool to have around in the garage.

I test my two car batteries once a year heading into colder weather, also use when the need arises for family & friends. I have the Schumacher load tester, however this Princess Auto should be comparable.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
Tommy74 wrote: Not a bad price, but 75% of drivers have no clue how to change dead battery, so this tester will offer no help.
I first changed a car battery at the ripe age of 41, without the help of YouTube... Loosen the 2 screws holding the bracket holding the battery, take old battery out, put new battery in, done deal. The shop wanted $40 for this 5 minute operation...
But yeah, you're right, most people don't bother, because idiocracy.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
Correct me if I’m wrong, do car shops test your battery with the fancy tester for free generally?
Oct 20, 2019
274 posts
178 upvotes
'correct me if I'm wrong' will be my new phrase for the next week
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3198 posts
1023 upvotes
Vancouver
Bought Ancel BST100 (link) for C$27 in early February. Arrived in 10 days from China. I noticed if shipper is Alixepress Standard Shipping, goods tend to arrive sooner.

This model has 3 functions. Battery test, Charging test and Cranking test. I have only done battery test. From what I read, the other 2 tests requires 2 people.

I find the price quite reasonable.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6343 upvotes
Winnipeg
raskal wrote: man I wish this was available online.
I see it is available online, although the price tag is $39.99?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)