Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Princess Auto

100A Battery Load Tester $15.99 ($39.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2017 3:39 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1874 posts
1666 upvotes
Lake Simcoe

[Princess Auto] 100A Battery Load Tester $15.99 ($39.99)

Attributes & Specifications

Type Battery Load Tester
Works with 6 and 12 V
Load 100A
Cold Cranking Amps 1,000 A
Tests Charging system, battery condition and starter motor.
Brand Name Powerfist
SKU: 8494031

Same item is at CT for $49.99 (Price match might be possible-YMMV)
CT Unit

Last edited by love2save on Sep 19th, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8474 posts
4467 upvotes
Canuckland
Btw you could do the same with a multimeter
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanuck wrote: Btw you could do the same with a multimeter
How? Please share.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1874 posts
1666 upvotes
Lake Simcoe
Good luck with that....
Aug 8, 2005
713 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
You can check voltages no problem with a multimeter. But please explain how you plan to apply a 100A load to the battery with a multimeter ?

Have had lots of batteries that have proper voltage but can't sustain a load. They are two very different things and you're only testing for one
May 22, 2017
26 posts
35 upvotes
Inno wrote: How? Please share.
you would have to parallel the multimeter with a very low resistance resistor that is made to pass 100A. R=V/I= 12/100=0.12Ohm The whole thing would need to be made for 100A. This is much cheaper /easier and safer. Might have to pick one up
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
BURRRP wrote: you would have to parallel the multimeter with a very low resistance resistor that is made to pass 100A. R=V/I= 12/100=0.12Ohm The whole thing would need to be made for 100A. This is much cheaper /easier and safer. Might have to pick one up
100a at 12v is how many watts??? Will it not blow? In rusty in electrical....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
I have one of these from TSC, about $24 on sale. It works great and is quite sturdy.

It's a steal at this price.
Dec 19, 2012
331 posts
152 upvotes
Thanks op this is perfect timing just got into an argument with my local Honda dealership over my battery which is still under warranty. I'll pick up on of these and take it in with me
May 22, 2017
26 posts
35 upvotes
qaz393 wrote: 100a at 12v is how many watts??? Will it not blow? In rusty in electrical....
1200W If you left this thing on a good battery for a long period of time, it probably has some type of overheat protection that would go. This is purely resistive, and will pump out heat
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
BURRRP wrote: 1200W If you left this thing on a good battery for a long period of time, it probably has some type of overheat protection that would go. This is purely resistive, and will pump out heat
The way it works is you first hook it up to your battery with the clips.

Then hold the "ON" button for 10 seconds, then let go.

The needle then indicates the health of your battery on the colour-coded scale.

It's all explained in the OP's photo.
May 22, 2017
26 posts
35 upvotes
Inno wrote: The way it works is you first hook it up to your battery with the clips.

Then hold the "ON" button for 10 seconds, then let go.

The needle then indicates the health of your battery on the colour-coded scale.

It's all explained in the OP's photo.
he is asking a question at a different level
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
Second poster is right.
Car off. Read voltage. If below 12 volts. Battery is trash.
Car off accessories on. If voltage falls below 10 after 10 seconds battery is trash.
Car on. Voltage should read 13 plus. If not alternator is misbehaving.
This thing adds nothing that a multimeter can't do.
It's even got a voltage scale at the top.

How does this thing check the starter? I don't get it...
Nov 18, 2006
659 posts
320 upvotes
cowbunpants wrote: Car off. Read voltage. If below 12 volts. Battery is trash.
Car off accessories on. If voltage falls below 10 after 10 seconds battery is trash.
Only thing missing is whether your accessories are going to be drawing 100A. This is just a big resistor to get a fixed load combined with a voltmeter - very basic old tech to do a quick and simple test...
I would suggest there are people using 12V batteries for other purposes (motor homes, solar, etc), or a $16 meter may be more practical where the battery is not physically in the car.
Or there is a free option, take it in to somewhere like CTC and they will test it for you.
Jan 26, 2014
890 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto, ON
the difference between this and a multi-meter is that this can apply a load to the battery without having to start the car
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
mathomas wrote: Only thing missing is whether your accessories are going to be drawing 100A. This is just a big resistor to get a fixed load combined with a voltmeter - very basic old tech to do a quick and simple test...
I would suggest there are people using 12V batteries for other purposes (motor homes, solar, etc), or a $16 meter may be more practical where the battery is not physically in the car.
Or there is a free option, take it in to somewhere like CTC and they will test it for you.
Good points.

On the free option, yes CTC will do it for you but I have two problems with that:

1. You have to physically remove the battery and take it in to the store. That's an hour round trip for me. I'd rather pay the price of this gauge once to save these trips for the rest of my life.

2. Maybe I'm too suspicious, but asking a place that makes money selling new batteries to test mine makes me nervous. (I think there's another investigation into sleazy car repair practices on CBC this week...)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Inno wrote: Good points.

On the free option, yes CTC will do it for you but I have two problems with that:

1. You have to physically remove the battery and take it in to the store. That's an hour round trip for me. I'd rather pay the price of this gauge once to save these trips for the rest of my life.

2. Maybe I'm too suspicious, but asking a place that makes money selling new batteries to test mine makes me nervous. (I think there's another investigation into sleazy car repair practices on CBC this week...)
I would never bring my vehicle for any type of service at CT; even if it's for free.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
cowbunpants wrote: Second poster is right.
No they aren't.

Two things are required to adequately test.
In your example below, you are using the car as the load.
Load the battery, and measure the voltage.
A voltmeter only does one of those. [I say specifically "voltmeter" as that is the function of your "multimeter" you intend to use... I hope]

If the battery is separate from the car, or used in a non-auto application, you don't have that "handy" load of the car available.
A voltmeter alone won't do the same thing then.
Car off. Read voltage. If below 12 volts. Battery is trash.
This thing adds nothing that a multimeter can't do.
It's even got a voltage scale at the top.

How does this thing check the starter? I don't get it...
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
Good find, OP thanked. Any promo code or free shipping?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
A word of warning about these. I'm on my 3rd.

#1 the meter got stuck at half scale after only using it a handful of times
#2 the switch didn't function properly from day 1
#3 is still going strong but based on #1 and #2 my expectations aren't too high

On a more positive note, no problems getting replacements but I think I'll probably bail if #3 stops working