Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Princess Auto

CTEK Smart Battery Charger $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2015 12:13 am
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes

[Princess Auto] CTEK Smart Battery Charger $49.99

Princess Auto has the CTEK 0.8A Smart Battery Charger (Model#: 56-865) on sale for $49.99 (Regular price is 69.99) starting next Tuesday November 4, 2014 until November 16, 2014.

This is one of the best and most highly rated battery chargers/tenders out there. Perfect for charging and keeping car batteries, motorcycle, snowmobile, boat batteries charged and topped up when in storage.

Feature(s):
Fully automatic charging and maintenance in 6 steps maximizes battery life and performance. Numerous accessories simplify using the same charger for multiple batteries. Water-resistant so that the solution could be taken to the problem, even if it rains or snows. Patented mainteneance charge for a uique combination of maximized life and performance. Patented desulphation that extends the battery life. No sparks, short-circuit proof and reverse-polarity protected for untroubled usage.

Application(s):
Six step universal charger for all types of 12V lead-acid batteries.

Attributes & Specifications
Type CTEK® Battery Charger
Charging Voltage 14.4 V DC
Charging Current 0.8 A
Charger Type 6 step, Fully Automatic Charging Cycle
Battery Type 12V lead-acid batteries
Battery Capacity 1.2 to 32 Ah (up to 100 Ah for maintenance)
Brand Name CTEK® The Smartest Battery Chargers in the World
Model # 56-865

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Batt ... /8522831.p
33 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4267 posts
5184 upvotes
Montreal, QC
orange260z wrote: I recommend this one, it's currently on sale. Not as big a discount, but more powerful charger.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Batt ... /8522856.p
I have this one.. I had picked it up from amazon.com a few years back (shipped to my sister in US and she brought it up for me). Love it. It has revived quite a few batteries using it's recondition mode (even some old SLA which would not longer take a charge). I keep it connected throughout the winter on my 1972 Buick, in order to keep it topped up.. Only drawback, is that if the voltage drops below a certain level (ie: 7V or so), the charger will NOT start a charge. However I usually use my old dumb charger for about 5 minutes to quickly bring voltage up, and then switch to this one.

WhatsTheRush wrote: This one is the standard I believe:
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Batt ... /8368771.p
Not sure if they still make it or not.
This is pretty much the same unit Porsche includes with all their vehicules (including the panamera), except that the porsche version only comes with a lighter plug connector. It is an older version, since I know it was already included nearly 10 years ago, with my brother-in-law's 911. They are definately great chargers. I'd would no longer bother buying anything other than CTEK chargers for personal use (there may be better commercial use units - but they are also pricier and not necessarily for the average home user).
Nov 24, 2007
671 posts
791 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Emporium,

I agree with you fully and have had the same experience with completely toasted batteries, and have followed the same process as you to get it started.

I maintain 5 batteries every winter, including 2 large deep-cycle RV batteries. I rotate the chargers around - I really should build a parallel charging harness!

I've had the original 3.3 that I bought for my Boxster for many years, but last year when I decided to get a second unit I couldn't locate the CTEK at a decent price, as Canadian Tire/Partsource has switched over to the NOCO Genius. I ended up buying the 7.2 Genius; but I quickly found that my old CTEK was much better at dealing with problem batteries. I then found the 4.3 on sale at Princess and picked it up.

CTEK FTW!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1077 upvotes
Hamilton
I'm really hesitant to put this on my car this winter. Bought the car new in the summer of 2010 and have been putting this charger on it every winter. This past spring, I went to start the car and it wouldn't turn over. The status light on the charger stayed green all winter (I see it in the garage everytime I do the garbage). Battery was only 3 years old and had to be replaced, seems premature to me. I don't have any hard evidence that it was the charger, but I have a feeling it would of lasted longer if I just left it.

I've also tried to revive batteries as well. The charger would just stay charging for days and the status light would never change to green. The battery got pretty hot as well.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12003 posts
4361 upvotes
Winnipeg
hotoffthepress wrote: Hi find the NOCO to be better:

http://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-G3500-3-5-Amp ... ry+charger

I own both.

CTEK couldn't revive the battery, whereas the NOCO did.
The reason behind it not recovering/charging at volts below 7-8v is purely safety precaution by manufacturer.

If it pounded a sulphated battery at 13.4v for too long it would in a sense boil the battery. Which depletes the acid by releasing very combustible hydrogen. In a garage or closed space thats dangerous. Deltran also has a low volt limit as well and also will shut off after 48hrs if it can't reach 12.8v@.75amps. Basically the idea is if it can't reach it in 48hrs its not in your best interest to bother.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
Somehow my two battery tender juniors work with our 02 Civic but not our 11 Accord. Not sure why the electrical system would be so different. By trying to trickle charge the Accord, I ended up killing its battery twice.

I even went direct to the battery terminal to no avail
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4267 posts
5184 upvotes
Montreal, QC
adblink182 wrote: ...

Battery was only 3 years old and had to be replaced, seems premature to me. I don't have any hard evidence that it was the charger, but I have a feeling it would of lasted longer if I just left it.

I had the exact opposite experience. I used to replace my batteries on my 1972 Buick every 2 or 3 years since they would barely hold a charge (luckily for Costco's easy hassle-free replacement on Kirkland batteries). Got the charger about 7 years ago, and battery is still perfect.. This past summer took it to my buddy's garage for some other stuff, and asked him to do a load test on his Snap-On tester since I was skeptical, and it tested perfect.. Kind of impressed for a 7 yr old battery that sits all winter..

I guess some type of defects are un-avoidable.
Feb 1, 2004
944 posts
191 upvotes
Markham
I recommend this. I had my car stored for 2 years and had this plugged in. Last week, the first time I started it in 2 years and it just started right up without any problem. BTW, this is the optional charger being sold in the Porsche dealerships.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
Anyone where to buy this cig plug so I don't have to pop the hood open? In my situation, it makes sense to leave our cars inside the garage during the winter.

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Comfo ... uto_text_y

Hmmm, it seems it will only work if the cigarette is powered during the trickle charging process. Our stupid car seems to have too much electrical drain even if just in Position I of the ignition system (clock is on and so are other paraphernalia).
Oct 31, 2010
587 posts
1308 upvotes
Montreal
I bought one from CT for cheaper awhile back. The only issue I have is the plastic clamps are small and can disconnect if not properly secured; otherwise it is useful and well built and worth the money if you need it.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4267 posts
5184 upvotes
Montreal, QC
alanbrenton wrote: Anyone where to buy this cig plug so I don't have to pop the hood open? In my situation, it makes sense to leave our cars inside the garage during the winter.

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Comfo ... uto_text_y

Hmmm, it seems it will only work if the cigarette is powered during the trickle charging process. Our stupid car seems to have too much electrical drain even if just in Position I of the ignition system (clock is on and so are other paraphernalia).
Some cars, like many Volks, Porsche and some Audi can use the Cig lighter since it is not a switched circuit. Actually the 3300 rebranded model Porsche offers for thier car is ONLY cig lighter connector. I use one of my brother-in-law's Porsche chargers with cig lighter connector, on my sisters old Jetta, and works like a charm. Since she is no longer in Montreal, it keeps her old clunker topped up, for when she is in town visiting.

On my 1972 buick that was not an option. However what I did, was use the extra cable which comes with the 4.3 model, which has the round terminals at the end. Ran some 16AWG wires from the battery posts(posts have rear terminals for directly connecting accessory cables ), through the firewall, and routed to under my dash. I cut the terminals off off the cable and connected it to the wires I passed and soldered the ends properly, and used some heatshrink tubing to make it clean. Since the connector has a cover, I'm not worried about it shorting on anything, and when I want to keep it topped up, I just leave the windows a little open, run power extension into the car, and plug charger to connector under dash. Quite a bit more convenient than always having to pop the hood all the time.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11149 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC