Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Princess Auto

PEX Crimper 1/2" and 3/4" - $39.99 - Starts Oct7 - Hot

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2014 10:08 am
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2614 posts
3356 upvotes
Fredericton

[Princess Auto] PEX Crimper 1/2" and 3/4" - $39.99 - Starts Oct7 - Hot

Princess Auto have a 1/2 and 3/4 inch PEX crimper, going on sale for $39.99, regular $89.99, on Tuesday, Oct 7th. I normally see these go on sale for $50-$70, so this qualifies as a hot deal.

Web link

Picture from the flyer

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/skKO8RTl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FA8CVJX.jpg[/IMG]
32 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4205 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
May be a hot deal, but it still doesn't look like it should cost that much!
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2614 posts
3356 upvotes
Fredericton
GT!! wrote: May be a hot deal, but it still doesn't look like it should cost that much!
I agree, but nobody seems to make a truly inexpensive PEX crimper that is not a complete piece of junk.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2963 posts
1975 upvotes
Edmonton
Bordak wrote: I agree, but nobody seems to make a truly inexpensive PEX crimper that is not a complete piece of junk.

MIght be interested but does this one fall in the junk category? Guess the two feedbacks are OK..........
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6138 posts
2941 upvotes
Kanata
GT!! wrote: May be a hot deal, but it still doesn't look like it should cost that much!
Specialized tools always costs more.

I do want one for the odd job, not sure....
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Dec 7, 2005
263 posts
54 upvotes
Pickering
frankmp wrote: MIght be interested but does this one fall in the junk category? Guess the two feedbacks are OK..........
It's not junk. I bought one for local home repair and changes etc. not a professional tool but not falling apart way out of spec junk.
Dec 23, 2005
519 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
Not a hot deal IMHO, I bought the 1/2" crimper for $39.99 last month. I think the "regular price" was $59.99 then. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2003
1062 posts
160 upvotes
Pilgrim wrote: Not a hot deal IMHO, I bought the 1/2" crimper for $39.99 last month. I think the "regular price" was $59.99 then. Thanks OP.
So you bought one that does 1/2 the job and it cost you the same price? hmm, I guess everyone's definition of a hot deal is different.
Thanks OP , I think it's a hot deal, just annoyed I paid full price from Rona a few weeks back.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
frankmp wrote: MIght be interested but does this one fall in the junk category? Guess the two feedbacks are OK..........
The 1/2" portion works well enough. The 3/4" not so much, its too tight on the rings, where the crimper actually digs into the ring.
Its OK for a diyer that only needs it for a few crimps. I was never a fan of the bolt cutter type of crimpers.
I paid $30 for this same one about a year ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2338 posts
416 upvotes
Edmonton
I do not take chances with plumbing tools. All you need is one crappy connection and you are looking at thousands of dollars of water damage. I have Wirsbo plumbing system installed in my home and it's battery operated tool cost me $400. When I installed my water softener, I used that tool to create bypasses, I knew they were done right. Pex is relatively cheap so make sure you have a quality tool.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2963 posts
1975 upvotes
Edmonton
polypep wrote: I do not take chances with plumbing tools. All you need is one crappy connection and you are looking at thousands of dollars of water damage. I have Wirsbo plumbing system installed in my home and it's battery operated tool cost me $400. When I installed my water softener, I used that tool to create bypasses, I knew they were done right. Pex is relatively cheap so make sure you have a quality tool.
Great points! Just cruious whats a "Wirsbo plumbing system"/
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2338 posts
416 upvotes
Edmonton
frankmp wrote: Great points! Just cruious whats a "Wirsbo plumbing system"/
Pex is generic name for crosslinked polyethylene which is the material used in today's plastic plumbing system. The type of connection and fittings used to install pex plumbing are patented by various companies. There is Viega, Wirsbo, and Reheu to name a few. Wirsbo is the expansion method.

More info here
http://www.pexinfo.com
May 24, 2007
713 posts
867 upvotes
Kelowna
That's a great price for a standard dual pex crimper. I was tired of working with copper a few years back and went looking for one of these but the cheapest decent one I could find was pushing $100 at the time.

Couldn't bring myself to pay that much so went with a Surlock crimper instead for a fraction of the price. Happy I did to be honest. If you've ever had to hacksaw one of those rings you'll understand.

You can get a Surlok starter kit for around $40 most places that come with a bunch of rings and you can undo a crimp a lot easier if/when you screw up.

Talked to a few plumbers that use them as well. The only downside is that the rings are more expensive so if you're a pro or doing a ton of crimping it will cost more in the long run.

http://m.homedepot.ca/product/ProductDe ... 28&lang=EN
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I paid a hundred bucks for my crimper at home depot, and that wasn't even an expensive one. For just doing a few repairs I probably would have gone for a $40 one like this instead but hey I guess I have the tool if I ever feel like ripping my walls open and installing a few sinks in the living room. All I wanted to do was replace a few fittings where one was leaking for one of the radiators in a bathroom, thankfully in the unfinished area of my boiler room. It still kind of makes me wonder to this day what the other end of those pex lines behind the wall are looking like but I can't summon the courage to cut open the wall and have to patch and repaint just to find out. :|

By the way the type that were leaking were the ring clamp style (like the Surlok type that I passed on...), I replaced them with the compression rings - to me they just seem like a more solid system than the chintzy looking clamps. It wasn't a catastrophic failure, it was just a slow leak that was corroding the clamp but that's my anecdote about the long term effectiveness of those type. When I had my tankless WH installed they used those damn clamps too but thankfully every fitting is in plain sight so I can keep an eye on them.

I like the idea of PEX but at the end of the day nothing can beat copper tubes for trouble free longevity, PEX just seems like a cost cutting shortcut that I'm not sure the average homeowner is getting any of the savings passed along to but it sure beats trying to do traditional plumbing yourself as a layperson.

Anyway, my crimper at least came with a go no go tool so at least you don't have to wonder if it was done right or not. Also, my tool "Crimprite", looks a good deal more substantial than the picture in the OP but even so it doesn't look or feel anything like what I would expect a hundred dollar hand tool to be.

I understand the expansion system is the best but yeah the tools for those are truly crazy especially considering all it is is a rotating set of jaws and a hair dryer that heat and stretch out the end of the PEX so it can go over a fitting and then contract as it cools.
Dec 23, 2005
519 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
dealtaker wrote: So you bought one that does 1/2 the job and it cost you the same price? hmm, I guess everyone's definition of a hot deal is different.
Thanks OP , I think it's a hot deal, just annoyed I paid full price from Rona a few weeks back.
Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out.. I misread the ad. I thought it was either 1/2" or 3/4", didn't realize this did both of them. I change my statement, this is a good deal!! These go for around $100 at Rona/Home Depot.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9290 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
what is that tool for??
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
May 24, 2007
713 posts
867 upvotes
Kelowna
BinaryJay wrote: I paid a hundred bucks for my crimper at home depot, and that wasn't even an expensive one. For just doing a few repairs I probably would have gone for a $40 one like this instead but hey I guess I have the tool if I ever feel like ripping my walls open and installing a few sinks in the living room. All I wanted to do was replace a few fittings where one was leaking for one of the radiators in a bathroom, thankfully in the unfinished area of my boiler room. It still kind of makes me wonder to this day what the other end of those pex lines behind the wall are looking like but I can't summon the courage to cut open the wall and have to patch and repaint just to find out. :|

By the way the type that were leaking were the ring clamp style (like the Surlok type that I passed on...), I replaced them with the compression rings - to me they just seem like a more solid system than the chintzy looking clamps. It wasn't a catastrophic failure, it was just a slow leak that was corroding the clamp but that's my anecdote about the long term effectiveness of those type. When I had my tankless WH installed they used those damn clamps too but thankfully every fitting is in plain sight so I can keep an eye on them.
That's interesting. I've never heard of one leaking before and it's been 10 years since I bought my Surlok crimper. Was it the crimp that was leaking or was there a leak in the pipe and you got nervous because the ring close to it was being corroded? PEX in general shouldn't be exposed to UV rays so maybe the fact it was in an unfinished area was actually the reason it started to leak in the first place. Also, I've been told PEX isn't the best stuff to use with radiators so if it's right next to your boiler that could be a problem in itself.

Of course, any crimp can leak if it wasn't done right no matter the tool or the ring or if there is too much pressure on the joint. I've seen my share of copper leaks as well so nothing is perfect.

As to the Wirsbo expansion system, unless your place is in danger of freezing or reaches ridiculously high temperatures I think the whole system is overkill and overpriced. Great for cabins that freeze/thaw on a regular basis and some shops but even then not sure what the longevity of it will be like. I also don't like the fact that it relies on more plastic to hold the joint.

If you're going to spend money on a good plumbing system look into Viega. That looks like a nice system but I don't want to have to be the one paying for the tool or the fittings. ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
polypep wrote: Pex is generic name for crosslinked polyethylene which is the material used in today's plastic plumbing system. The type of connection and fittings used to install pex plumbing are patented by various companies. There is Viega, Wirsbo, and Reheu to name a few. Wirsbo is the expansion method.

More info here
http://www.pexinfo.com
Wirsbo is now known as Uponor
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5110 posts
1544 upvotes
Kitchener
I have repaired lots of leaks where people have used this style of crimper on Uponor PEX expansion piping. you may not get a leak at the crimp right away, but the connection will leak eventually. As an fyi Uponor and the crimp style of PEX fittings and tubing at Home Depot are not interchangeable so make sure you get the correct fittings and tool for the piping.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11953 posts
3694 upvotes
Kingston
Also on sale is the Apollo combo crimper at CT for $69 (reg $99 but I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere reg $89).

[IMG]http://lghttp.18464.nexcesscdn.net/808F ... _1_1_2.jpg[/IMG]

I have this unit and it works well but have no experience with others. Its adjustable and looks much more solidly built than the PA one. But it is also $30 more.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)