• Mar 14th, 2011 3:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 17, 2006
392 posts
6 upvotes

Print your own cheques?

I just found out I ran out of my personal cheque and I have to make a few payment that ONLY accept cheques (no cash or cards) in 2 days
Can I just print my own cheque on a standard laser printer?

I have a copy of my previous cheques (given to me by the bank), which I can use as a template and only change the cheque numbers.

What else would I need to print my own cheques? Will the depositor have problem cashing a home printed cheque?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Can I print my own money too? I'll just change the serial number ...

lol seriously?
Just go to your bank and see if they can give you a few cheques immediately, if not, then you prob have to use bank draft
Sep 15, 2003
68 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
Technically, you could.

However, if you do not have the appropriate MICR ink (magnetic ink), your bank will likely levy a fee to process the cheque. (For example, Scotiabank would charge you an additional $5 for a cheque that is not MICR-encoded), assuming that whoever receives the "cheque" doesn't refuse it since it won't "look legit".

I'd recommend going to Canada Post and purchasing a few money orders if you're in a bind.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5809 posts
515 upvotes
Greely
Your local branch should be able to print you some temporary cheques.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9741 posts
428 upvotes
damnos wrote:
Mar 14th, 2011 2:15 pm

lol seriously?

Uh...that isn't the same at all.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4801 posts
414 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2011 2:46 pm
Your local branch should be able to print you some temporary cheques.

Temp cheques are pretty much non-existant now. I think the only bank that may be able to print is RBC.
Sep 4, 2010
370 posts
33 upvotes
I'm assuming if they want cheque only, it's likely a bill payment.

Why don't you either do the payment through online banking? Saves you a lot of time from having to write cheques, mail them, etc.

If not, go to your branch and see a teller. They should be able to process your payment directly.
Feb 1, 2010
703 posts
73 upvotes
I used to know a printer who printed his own cheques. He used some pretty nice stock, and went overboard on the print job. They were kick ass!
[OP]
May 17, 2006
392 posts
6 upvotes
damnos wrote:
Mar 14th, 2011 2:15 pm

lol seriously?
Just go to your bank and see if they can give you a few cheques immediately, if not, then you prob have to use bank draft
sigh.... :facepalm:

One of the reason I asked was because one of my customers paid me with an ugly, home printed chq on some 20lbs copier paper before. It looks worst than monopoly money, but he was an RBC branch managers, so I trusted him and the cheque deposited fine.

Thanks ROBWC_CA
I use mostly HSBC (sometime CIBC), CIBC non-micr fee is also $5, however, i can't find even find HSBC's fee and policy for non-micr chq.

*btw...bank bill payment is not available
× < >