Automotive

Private Parking: Ticket... should I pay?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2011 1:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 28, 2007
743 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Private Parking: Ticket... should I pay?

Last week I parked at a private parking lot and got a ticket.. however it is not from the city but some private company.

Now my understanding is it holds no legal obligation and really it is down to hte person if they pay or not.

Can anyone affirm this?

Do I need to pay this ticket?

Location was DT on a private lot. NOT issued from the CITY.
64 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6323 posts
40 upvotes
you have to pay it..they send credit companies after you...

Your best luck is to call the company and try to plea it down.
- Private Investigator...contact me for your surveillance needs.
[OP]
May 28, 2007
743 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
According to this.. Private parking tickets are illegal.

http://www.pragmatic.ca/2004/08/tdot-ba ... ckets.html

http://www.torontotamil.com/news/publis ... 1172.shtml

There is no way for Private Parking company to verify if the ticket is real or not.. if one was to oppose it.

The difference with the city hte ticket agents are sworn in city employees.

However I am not sure if ths city will help private companies collect $ via collections.. (providing motor/info)

Anyone?
Jul 7, 2005
685 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
throw it out.... got one of those lame tickets and just threw it out, nobody went after me and that was 2 years ago
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
1978 posts
20 upvotes
It's not worth the paper it's printed on.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
1726 posts
36 upvotes
Maple
if it is private, it use junk, as long as u dun park there again
it is fine
Deal Addict
May 4, 2004
2507 posts
21 upvotes
ygtgxi wrote:
Jan 21st, 2008 12:08 am
if it is private, it use junk, as long as u dun park there again
it is fine

+1

Most places have a time limit as to when you pay it. If you dont pay, just don't go there. But if you do and its been a while since you got the ticket, prepared to be towed
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
4250 posts
113 upvotes
I read in one of the citynews article that if the ticket is by Impark, that you have to pay?

EDIT: Link is here http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_18649.aspx

"There is one exception to this rule - any tickets issued at Impark, which sports a red, white and black sign, are legal and you will have to pony up the money if you're fined at one of those spaces."
Jan 4, 2007
47 posts
1 upvote
i got a ticket at Waterloo University and i didn't pay it..... i would probably get anothe rone if i parked there again and i still won't pay them....

(as long as i don't transfer and study there....)
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
jeeva86 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2008 6:59 pm
I read in one of the citynews article that if the ticket is by Impark, that you have to pay?

EDIT: Link is here http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_18649.aspx

"There is one exception to this rule - any tickets issued at Impark, which sports a red, white and black sign, are legal and you will have to pony up the money if you're fined at one of those spaces."
Any reason why Impark is immune to the private ticket deal? Curious.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
1672 posts
22 upvotes
If you don't pay it and park there again, they might tow it (it is private property after all and you are technically trespassing)

If you never plan to go there again (or use another lot owned by the same company), just disregard it
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5450 posts
288 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Clish wrote:
Jan 21st, 2008 7:51 pm
i got a ticket at Waterloo University and i didn't pay it..... i would probably get anothe rone if i parked there again and i still won't pay them....

That and you DON;t park there again, because they CAN tow you based on private property legal stuff..
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5859 posts
100 upvotes
Clish wrote:
Jan 21st, 2008 7:51 pm

usually they tow your car when you have like ~5 tickets +

then they force you to pay your tow charge and all of the tickets at regular price. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1447 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Tomy wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2008 2:03 pm
usually they tow your car when you have like ~5 tickets +

then they force you to pay your tow charge and all of the tickets at regular price. :cheesygri
pfft.... RFD'er don't like paying regular price... Can I pricematch parking ticket with Toronto Parking Authority, pricematch towing with CAA, and pricematch impound lot fee with a storage facility? :cheesygri :lol:
× < >